• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Golden Citay Pre-Season Awards

citygriz

The Golden Citays are a brand new award, inaugurated June 25, 2017, a date of no particular significance, but formed out of eager anticipation of the coming basketball season. These awards are virtual awards; there is nothing golden about them except their name. There will be no banquet or other food, many players will not even know they've received it, and each award can be revoked at any time during the regular season. In fact many will. That said, here are the "honorees."

Most Valuable Player: Ahmaad Rorie. The Steph Curry of this team. If the newcomer, Lars Espe, can come in an relieve Rorie of some of his playmaking duties, his role as a scorer will only make him more valuable.

Newcomer of the Year: Niko Bevans. This is a tough one for me, because I am most intrigued with Karl Nicholas. After his performance in the post-season all-star game in Dallas, several observers thought Nicholas was an SEC talent. But I'm picking Bevans for two reasons: He arrives as a sophomore, with some collegiate experience under his belt; and he fills a critical need as a three-point shooter. If he's as deadly a shooter as his stats suggest, he should really open up the interior for us.

Most Improved Player: Sayeed Pridgett: I think it took Sayeed a year not only to adjust to the college game, but also to his role on this team. He came in as a "tweener," a great athlete too big to play the point, but perhaps too small to bang with post players. We often see the year of biggest improvement in a player between his freshman and sophomore years, and with a year under his belt to figure out the college game, I predict Sayeed will be that player.

Most Intriguing Player: Donaven Dorsey. He comes to us with credentials such that we never see at Montana--the third highest rated player in the state of Washington as a senior in high school, and the 56th highest rated small forward in the country. His numbers at Washington were not impressive, but neither were Martin Breunig's coming out of the same program, and we know what he accomplished at Montana. Dorsey certainly has the talent to be all-Big Sky right out of the gate, and to deprive Mr. Bevans his cherished Golden Citay.

Freshman of the Year: Tossup between Nicholas and Espe. Both will see the court this year, and it'll be tween Espe's experience playing in a pro league, and the jaw-dropping athletic talent of Nicholas.

citay said:
The Golden Citays are a brand new award, inaugurated June 25, 2017, a date of no particular significance, but formed out of eager anticipation of the coming basketball season. These awards are virtual awards; there is nothing golden about them except their name. There will be no banquet or other food, many players will not even know they've received it, and each award can be revoked at any time during the regular season. In fact many will. That said, here are the "honorees."

Most Valuable Player: Ahmaad Rorie. The Steph Curry of this team. If the newcomer, Lars Espe, can come in an relieve Rorie of some of his playmaking duties, his role as a scorer will only make him more valuable.

Newcomer of the Year: Niko Bevans. This is a tough one for me, because I am most intrigued with Karl Nicholas. After his performance in the post-season all-star game in Dallas, several observers thought Nicholas was an SEC talent. But I'm picking Bevans for two reasons: He arrives as a sophomore, with some collegiate experience under his belt; and he fills a critical need as a three-point shooter. If he's as deadly a shooter as his stats suggest, he should really open up the interior for us.

Most Improved Player: Sayeed Pridgett: I think it took Sayeed a year not only to adjust to the college game, but also to his role on this team. He came in as a "tweener," a great athlete too big to play the point, but perhaps too small to bang with post players. We often see the year of biggest improvement in a player between his freshman and sophomore years, and with a year under his belt to figure out the college game, I predict Sayeed will be that player.

Most Intriguing Player: Donaven Dorsey. He comes to us with credentials such that we never see at Montana--the third highest rated player in the state of Washington as a senior in high school, and the 56th highest rated small forward in the country. His numbers at Washington were not impressive, but neither were Martin Breunig's coming out of the same program, and we know what he accomplished at Montana. Dorsey certainly has the talent to be all-Big Sky right out of the gate, and to deprive Mr. Bevans his cherished Golden Citay.

Freshman of the Year: Tossup between Nicholas and Espe. Both will see the court this year, and it'll be tween Espe's experience playing in a pro league, and the jaw-dropping athletic talent of Nicholas.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

How can anyone do an analysis of the 2017-18 Grizzlies without mentioning Michael Oguine. Just because he doesn't remind you of any of Warriors, doesn't mean he isn't one of the most valuable players on the team. Actually he reminds me of Andre Iguodala. Perhaps Klay Thompson on "D". As rebounder, unfortunately the Warrior can't compare to him as Dramond uses physicality while Oguine uses his vertical.

Of course, you are both wrong. Timmy Falls will be hands down Newcomer of the year tied with Karl Nicholas. What are you people thinking?

Anyone in MSO able to get to the fieldhouse today to observe? If you call the GSA, they can check the practice schedule for you.

Good comments about both Oguine and Falls. Let me address each.

Oguine: Nobody on this board likes Oguine more as a person or as a player more than I. He's one of the most gifted athletic talents we've seen at Montana in years, and plays great defense (though occasionally getting into foul trouble.) It was a huge disappointment to me when he got hurt and the beginning of last season, and I couldn't see him play at USC. At the same time, did not fit into any of my categories, though if he's been working on his shot and his handle, he could end up beating out Pridgett for most improved player. Most valuable? Yes, you could make that case, but I am still sticking with Rorie. Based on what I saw last year, Rorie had a better handle, ran the team, and had the most reliable three-point shot. We suffered when he was not on the floor.

Falls: I'm a big "Falls guy." He's from the Bay Area, and while I didn't get to see him play, I know from watching his clips and reading many accounts in Bay Area newspapers, that he is a special talent. I posted once before that his game reminded me a bit of Steph Curry, and I don't doubt Curry has been an influence on his game. At the same time, we have 14 players on this roster. Spoja will play little, and Kelby Kramer definitely needs a redshirt year. In an indication of how deep this roster is, that leaves 12 players in the rotation--meaning somebody is going to get cheated on minutes. In this scenario, my ideal would be for Falls to redshirt. But if he's as good as advertised, so...be...it. I want our best talent on the floor, period.

Wow, imagine that, a BASKETBALL thread in the BASKETBALL forum! :thumb:

Excellent observations so far. The biggest wildcard this year may be Jamar Akoh. If he can pull down double-digit rebounds and get the ball back out to our shooters, we may be in for a fun season. My hope is that Dorsey and Akoh will make us forget all about Alphonso Anderson.

I also agree that Karl Nicholas could star as a true frosh. I'm probably most excited to see him play.

Several questions:

Will either Timmy Falls or Lars Espe redshirt?
How about Besovic?
I assume Kramer will redshirt - am I wrong?
Will Sayeed Pridgett break out this season?
Will BSC refs let Oguine play defense?

Let's get this show on the road!

I'd say that between her and Hood, the Griz are in good hands over the next few years pitching-wise.

Edit: mods, you can delete this post. Wrong thread.

snap said:
I'd say that between her and Hood, the Griz are in good hands over the next few years pitching-wise.

Edit: mods, you can delete this post. Wrong thread.

Yes, snap out of it!

No offense meant. I was just being a smartass. Great thread and I agree with you (mostly just because I defer to your superior knowledge in the basketball realm). The Griz are gonna be tough this year.

No doubt Griz will be one of the top three teams if not the favorite, but Idaho and Weber should be excellent as well. It should make for an entertaining Big Sky bball season.

citay said:
He came in as a "tweener

...griz have never seen this much hop...
...find a place for him on the floor...
...a guy that play above the rim...

... :twocents: ...

Back