• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana's Colburn snubbed in Big Sky awards

grizzlyjournal

I know the headline of this thread looks like sour grapes from my point of view. I admit that STATISTICAL ANALYSIS drives my belief that Montana's Delene Colburn should have been named to the Big Sky's All Conference First team, and should have been named MVP for her individual play and the fact that the led Montana to a second place Big Sky Conference finish, a mere 1/2 game behind Weber State.

FIRST THINGS FIRST: Congratulations to Montana players named to the Big Sky Conference All Conference Teams:
• Bethany Olea, Sr. -- FIRST TEAM third base
• Michaela Hood, Fr. -- FIRST TEAM pitcher
• Delene Colburn, Jr. -- SECOND TEAM short stop
• Madison Saacke, Jr. HONORABLE MENTION catcher
• Ashlyn Lyons, Jr. HONORABLE MENTION, first base
• Gabby Martinez, Jr. HONORABLE MENTION, second base

There are likely arguments being made right now that Kacie Burnett of sixth-place Idaho State, did things beyond mere stats to earn the MVP over Colburn. Burnett is an outstanding senior leader of the Bengals.

And there are probably arguments being made as well to justify why Erica Dick of seventh-place Northern Colorado (which did not qualify for the post-season tourney) was named a Big Sky First Team All-Star while Colburn was named to the second team.

I watched both players. Both are outstanding players and game-changers, as is Colburn for Montana.

In many sports, the post-season MVP award goes to a senior leader on the first-place team. Not so in softball (three players were considered for the MVP; I do not know who the third candidate was). That being the case, even if Montana had won the Big Sky, Colburn would likely not have been named.

Nonetheless, I am one who believes Colburn should have been named MVP and Big Sky First Team All Conference. I base my opinion on two facts: she's an elite Big Sky player; and Statistics PROVE that. I believe the stats prove Colburn to be the best player in the Big Sky on stats alone. I did a brief statistical analysis. The categories below constitute a majority of the statistical categories. I left out those categories where none of the three candidates were mentioned. JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.

FINAL BIG SKY CONFERENCE STATISTICS
(conference play only)

BATTING Avg
1. Burnett/ISU -- .463
4. Colburn/UM -- .461
7. Dick/UNC -- .369

SLUGGING Pct.
1. Colburn -- .784
3. Burnett -- .654
4. Dick -- 601

ON BASE PCT.
3. Burnett -- .507
4. Colburn -- .495
5. Dick -- .460

RUNS SCORED
4. Colburn -- 38
6. Burnett -- 33
6. Dick -- 33

HITS
3. Colburn -- 65
4. Burnett -- 63
4. Dick -- 62

RBI
1. Colburn -- 56
Burnett & Dick not
ranked in top 10

DOUBLES
1. Colburn -- 18
3 Dick -- 15
6. Burnett -- 12

TRIPLES
2. Burnett -- 4
4. Dick -- 3
6 (tied w/8) -- 1

HOME RUNS
1. Colburn -- 14
Burnett & Dick not
ranked in top 7

TOTAL BASES
1. Colburn -- 127
3. Dick -- 101
8. Burnett -- 89

WALKS
3. Colburn -- 27
5. Dick -- 25
Burnett not
ranked in top 10

STOLEN BASES
1. Burnett -- 24
8. Dick -- 13
Colburn not
ranked in top 10

ERRORS
Burnett -- Not ranked
in top 10
5. Colburn -- 17
1. Dick -- 25

ASSISTS
1. Dick, -- 137
Eolburn and Bennet
not ranked in top 10
(Colburn had 84)

Agree 100%! Colburn is the best player in the leauge and easily the best SS. I beleive Burnett got the edge in voting because of her national recognition ( http://isubengals.com/news/2017/4/13/burnett-named-a-finalist-for-usa-softball-collegiate-player-of-the-yearaward.aspx ) and a conference MVP adds to her credentials. That and her being a Sr.

A bit of an update regarding the manner in which Delene Colburn was snubbed in All Big Sky voting (yes, I consider second team All-Big Sky a snub).

Yesterday, Delene was named NFCA ALL-REGION https://nfca.org/#featured (Pacific Region) at short stop. Based upon a quick read of the Pacific Region winners, Delene was the ONLY Big Sky Conference player named. I mention this NOT as any kind of disrespect to many of the outstanding players in the Big Sky Conf., but to illustrate how Delene, arguably the best player in the Big Sky, was... well, snubbed by the conference voters.

Hearty congratulations to DELENE COLBURN on her recognition. Best wishes in the NCAA playoffs this weekend.

Here's a PDF of the NFCA Regional teams.

https://nfca.org/images/divisionnews/DI_All-Region-2017.pdf

AZDoc said:
Is there anti-Griz within the conference voting in Softball now too? :roll:

Well, Doc, how would you explain it otherwise? Stats? Performance of the team in general?

EverettGriz said:
AZDoc said:

Well, Doc, how would you explain it otherwise? Stats? Performance of the team in general?

I'm not saying I don't believe it, nor that she got hosed, but I guess I can't believe that there's a conspiracy against Montana. How can that happen so blatantly, continuously, in multiple sports, and nobody can say or do anything? I'd love to hear honest "proof". Maybe because she's only a sophomore...maybe because the winner was the most valuable player to her specific team, that without her, they take last place.
Again, I agree she was hosed. I'd just like to have someone tell me some proof that there's a conspiracy. Other examples don't count...we've seen many. PM me if anyone knows something.

grizzlyjournal said:
A bit of an update regarding the manner in which Delene Colburn was snubbed in All Big Sky voting (yes, I consider second team All-Big Sky a snub).

Yesterday, Delene was named NFCA ALL-REGION https://nfca.org/#featured (Pacific Region) at short stop. Based upon a quick read of the Pacific Region winners, Delene was the ONLY Big Sky Conference player named. I mention this NOT as any kind of disrespect to many of the outstanding players in the Big Sky Conf., but to illustrate how Delene, arguably the best player in the Big Sky, was... well, snubbed by the conference voters.

Hearty congratulations to DELENE COLBURN on her recognition. Best wishes in the NCAA playoffs this weekend.

Here's a PDF of the NFCA Regional teams.

https://nfca.org/images/divisionnews/DI_All-Region-2017.pdf

Love this quote...
The coaches of the NFCA Pacific Region recognized what those in the Big Sky Conference, who voted Colburn to second-team all-league honors last week, did not. That the slugger from Auburn, Wash., is one of the best players out there.

AZDoc said:
EverettGriz said:
AZDoc said:

I'm not saying I don't believe it, nor that she got hosed, but I guess I can't believe that there's a conspiracy against Montana. How can that happen so blatantly, continuously, in multiple sports, and nobody can say or do anything? I'd love to hear honest "proof". Maybe because she's only a sophomore...maybe because the winner was the most valuable player to her specific team, that without her, they take last place.
Again, I agree she was hosed. I'd just like to have someone tell me some proof that there's a conspiracy. Other examples don't count...we've seen many. PM me if anyone knows something.

I'm not saying that there was anything conspiratorial or intentional with the Big Sky voting. If that were the case, coach Pinkerton would probably not have been named coach of the year. It could be something about the voting ballots where the two (of the three nominees) players NOT selected as MVP somehow didn't get votes for first team. More likely it is something minor, like a coach not voting for someone because of a hard slide or a hard tag or some other personal reason to not vote. It all boils down to the simple fact that an obvious All Big Sky first team player didn't get the votes she deserved. In that kind of situation, you'd hope that conference officials recognize the problem and try to remedy it (who knows? maybe they tried.).

It's pretty solidly resolved now that Colburn has been named to the All Region team.

grizzlyjournal said:
AZDoc said:
EverettGriz said:
AZDoc said:

I'm not saying that there was anything conspiratorial or intentional with the Big Sky voting. If that were the case, coach Pinkerton would probably not have been named coach of the year. It could be something about the voting ballots where the two (of the three nominees) players NOT selected as MVP somehow didn't get votes for first team. More likely it is something minor, like a coach not voting for someone because of a hard slide or a hard tag or some other personal reason to not vote. It all boils down to the simple fact that an obvious All Big Sky first team player didn't get the votes she deserved. In that kind of situation, you'd hope that conference officials recognize the problem and try to remedy it (who knows? maybe they tried.).

It's pretty solidly resolved now that Colburn has been named to the All Region team.

I've always been a half serious/half joking supporter of the anti Griz theory from the con but really the most important piece here is the Delene is still playing games this year and the others are not.

grizzlyjournal said:
AZDoc said:
EverettGriz said:
AZDoc said:

I agree with you on all counts. I didn't mean to hijack your OP. I think it's amazing for the team and this great representative of the Lady Griz softball program for her to be named to all region. Hope the ladies represent well as they go forward.

I, too, am largely joking when I mention a voting bias against the Griz. But if someone doesn't believe that there is some level of resentment from bsc coaches in all sports regarding Montana's budget, support, fan base, facilities and yes, success, I would say they're a little naive. Does that translate to a bias in voting in these things? Likely subconsciously at least.

EverettGriz said:
I, too, am largely joking when I mention a voting bias against the Griz. But if someone doesn't believe that there is some level of resentment from bsc coaches in all sports regarding Montana's budget, support, fan base, facilities and yes, success, I would say they're a little naive. Does that translate to a bias in voting in these things? Likely subconsciously at least.
AZDoc said:
grizzlyjournal said:
AZDoc said:
EverettGriz said:

I agree with you on all counts. I didn't mean to hijack your OP. I think it's amazing for the team and this great representative of the Lady Griz softball program for her to be named to all region. Hope the ladies represent well as they go forward.

:thumb: :thumb: No offense taken at all. I've occasionally wondered about an anti-Griz bias, but I think that existed largely in football where (not recently :roll: ) the resentment at Montana's continued dominance became an issue. Otherwise, proof of an anti-Montana bias isn't very obvious. I DO wonder why Travis DeCuire wasn't named Big Sky's coach of the year three years ago (his first year) when the Griz won the conference title (before losing to EWU in the tourney). Otherwise, I've not observed many obvious snubs similar to what happened to Delene this year in SB.

Back