• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Recruit- 7' Besovic

dayday

DONOR
Credit to Kyle and Skyline sports. Admir
Besovic has apparently given us a commitment not sure if he's signed the NLI yet. Anyways he looks very skilled around the rim. Wouldn't call him terribly athletic but he will fill a roll and you can't teach 7 feet. He's also played against grown men internationally which helps.

Here's some links:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNfUDoBqwy4

http://skylinesportsmt.com/admir-besovic-commits-to-griz/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the GRIZ did well with the last 2 recruits for 2017. Added needed PG depth and another big body. I wonder if either 7 footer will redshirt. Besovic appears damn strong, he doesn't look smooth, but when he puts the ball up, he gets the shot up easy despite a crowd and/or contact. As he develops 1 on 1 moves, and proper mechanics, he could be terrific.

Do you think he could learn how to dunk the ball anywhere from 2-3 ft away, that is what we need, power.

Perfect role player for the team. Needed someone to spell our starters and defend and rebound, especially against bigger teams like Weber. He can definitely do that from the get-go. Doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling but should be a good consistent player. Depth is going to be one of our biggest strengths next year. When was the last time we could say that?

flatheadgriz406 said:
Perfect role player for the team. Needed someone to spell our starters and defend and rebound, especially against bigger teams like Weber. He can definitely do that from the get-go. Doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling but should be a good consistent player. Depth is going to be one of our biggest strengths next year. When was the last time we could say that?
Doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling? A 7' 19 yr old that has good feet and can use both hands around the basket? Espe needs to get stronger for the big sky? What on Earth are you watching when you look at these highlights?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

casewinter13 said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
Doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling? A 7' 19 yr old that has good feet and can use both hands around the basket? Espe needs to get stronger for the big sky? What on Earth are you watching when you look at these highlights?

Agree

casewinter13 said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

i may be wrong, but i believe he is refering to his athleticism.

driftwood said:
casewinter13 said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

Ok and as soon as he can point out a 7 footer that moves that well in the big sky in the past 10+years I might buy that. Derek Selvig doesn't count since he spent almost no time near the rim. Also, athleticism is far from the only determinant of a player's ceiling. You want to explain away his Espe strength comment?

driftwood said:
casewinter13 said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

Watching the film I'd agree. He's a bit raw, and yes he needs to throw it down near the rim. Some of that crap he is putting up won't float in college basketball. I think decent developmental player. I honestly looking at that think it'd been better for a "rent a big" for the year and get someone a bit more polished. I hope he proves me wrong. I'd rather they went back to Australia though if you are looking for an under the radar type player.

AZDoc said:
driftwood said:
casewinter13 said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

Watching the film I'd agree. He's a bit raw, and yes he needs to throw it down near the rim. Some of that crap he is putting up won't float in college basketball. I think decent developmental player. I honestly looking at that think it'd been better for a "rent a big" for the year and get someone a bit more polished. I hope he proves me wrong. I'd rather they went back to Australia though if you are looking for an under the radar type player.
Thank God you and Flathead don't handle our recruiting efforts. But we're all entitled to have an opinion!

casewinter13 said:
AZDoc said:
driftwood said:
casewinter13 said:

Thank God you and Flathead don't handle our recruiting efforts. But we're all entitled to have an opinion!

HA! We should all sign on as expert recruitment consultants to the coaching staff. Seriously, the critical factors for success in D1 basketball are usually not determined until young & green players are tested by fire. It took Brian Qvale (now very successful in EuroHoops action) a full season; Andrew Strait proved his mettle midway through his first year of competition. For a big man to succeed, he has to be able to move laterally defensively with some ability, and catch laser-quick passes from guards (which is tougher than it seems on paper, apparently). And, be teachable.

I'm hoping Mr. Besovic forges an upward arc similar to his elder countryman from Bosnia and Herzegovina....Jusuf Nurcic, whose stats as a `19-year-old were almost identical to Besovic's (when he played for the HB national youth team). They're the exact same height, with very similar frames. Nurcic looks to have about 40 pounds more weight than Besovic. Craziness aside, Griz coaches see potential in these two incoming recruits. I'm all for it.

What I CAN say with certainty: Building a competitive D1 program with skill and depth at EVERY position is very hard to do. Since 2010, Montana has come close only twice. The Griz now, on paper, look pretty impressive to me. I look forward t see how it all plays out.

casewinter13 said:
AZDoc said:
driftwood said:
casewinter13 said:

HAHAHA right...I agree he uses both hands. Feet are pretty good, yes. Needs to be more aggressive and dominate. Explain his 6.8 rpg as a 7' player in HS Mr. Recruiting coordinator. That is aggression and attitude. The 2 things I said he needed to work on.

AZDoc said:
casewinter13 said:
AZDoc said:
driftwood said:

HAHAHA right...I agree he uses both hands. Feet are pretty good, yes. Needs to be more aggressive and dominate. Explain his 6.8 rpg as a 7' player in HS Mr. Recruiting coordinator. That is aggression and attitude. The 2 things I said he needed to work on.
I actually was one, thank you. Aggression and attitude are often times the cause, but certainly not always. It's only a highlight tape, but he doesn't lack aggression in the tape. Our transfer, Mr Akoh, is a capable scorer but one of the biggest reasons he transferred to Montana is because they ran virtually no offense through him. He didn't see the ball in normal offense. The same could very well be true for Admir. It's not easy for even skilled big men to score if they don't run any offense thru you. On top of that, our discussion was of his ceiling, not his current point production. His ceiling is plenty high, and your own statements support that. 7' tall with good feet as can use both hands around the basket... Nuff said

I should have clarified a bit more my apologies. I was talking about his ceiling for playing above the rim. In the highlights, I saw I didn't see him up around the rim much. I love how he moves laterally and anticipates the ball handlers move. He does have great feet for a big guy. A couple times he made defensive adjustments that were guard worthy. Very impressive. Raw offensively but most big guys coming in are. He looks more polished than Kramer.

Espe just like Bobby and Sayeed looks like he can contribute right away. Just like both of them getting stronger won't hurt. There are some big guards in the conference that he will have to defend. That was my only thought. He is a very savvy player from what I could see. Four years of him and Timmy will be a blast. I wish there was a way for our HS kids in the US to play against older players like in Europe other than old man open gyms at the Y.

I'm really excited about both recruits. They are exactly what we need and could help out right away.

flatheadgriz406 said:
I should have clarified a bit more my apologies. I was talking about his ceiling for playing above the rim. In the highlights, I saw I didn't see him up around the rim much. I love how he moves laterally and anticipates the ball handlers move. He does have great feet for a big guy. A couple times he made defensive adjustments that were guard worthy. Very impressive. Raw offensively but most big guys coming in are. He looks more polished than Kramer.

Espe just like Bobby and Sayeed looks like he can contribute right away. Just like both of them getting stronger won't hurt. There are some big guards in the conference that he will have to defend. That was my only thought. He is a very savvy player from what I could see. Four years of him and Timmy will be a blast. I wish there was a way for our HS kids in the US to play against older players like in Europe other than old man open gyms at the Y.

I'm really excited about both recruits. They are exactly what we need and could help out right away.
Now that makes a lot more sense, Flathead, thanks for taking a min to clarify. No, he doesn't play above the room, although he plays with a very Euro style and gets rid of the ball very quickly, no wasted movement or power dribbles, so difficult to determine if he's a better leaper than the tape shows offensively. Luckily not a huge requirement at his size.

No problem. Love what you and Kyle do with Griz hoops. I can't get enough!

He seems to have a little Fab and a little Qvale in him and I will take that all day with a double dose in March.

Is it true the cats were in hot pursuit of Epse? Pulling the rug out on them would be even sweeter.

Back