• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz SB keeps lock on 1st with sweep

grizzlyjournal

The Grizzly softball team maintained a lock on first place in the Big Sky with a three-game sweep of the Northern Colorado Bears by 1-0, 9-4 and 11-5 scores. Beyond Michaela Hood's brilliant 1-0 shutout of the Bears, the scores indicate an easy go for Montana. Not the case. Griz pitching depth was key and was provided by lefty Mandy Stensby, stepping in for second-game starter Colleen Driscoll with 4-plus innings in relief... and for a fading Hood (brittle weather wore on all the pitchers this weekend) in Saturday's final game. It was sort of a mirror image of last week when it was Driscoll who solidified the Griz in their two wins at Sac.

Team depth and balance were huge factors for the Griz over the Bears. Although a couple of defensive miscues (not errors) were factors in Driscoll's single bad inning, Montana's defense was otherwise stellar. The Montana infield is rock-solid, but this weekend I thought first baseman Ashlyn Lyons was key with four highlight defensive plays and otherwise steady play. Offensively, Montana shortstop Delene Colburn showed why she's possibly the best player in the Big Sky, with 8 hits and 8 RBIs and a laser-shot homer (her Big Sky leading 11th) in Saturday's win. But the series was won by clutch hitting from other Griz players. First baseman Ashlyn Lyons had the winning RBI in game 1, catcher Madison Saacke had key hits in three run-scoring rallies, and DH Dani Walker laced an important late 2-rbi hit in Montana's third game win (you can see below how important by observing the response by the normally low key coach Pinkerton).

A big reason why Montana's where it is right now is that it's the best defensive team in the Big Sky. But -- though they're not leading in any other team categories -- other factors show why they're where they are. Colburn and 3rd baseman Bethany Olea are the 3rd & 4th ranked hitters in the Sky by average... but I'd take them over any of the other top 10 hitters in the Big Sky, because they're disciplined hitters whose combo of doubles, triples and RBIs make them invaluable. http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/softball/2017/lgsumm.htm

So.... I wrote more than I had planned. If you missed it, Montana's games are streamed with excellent play-by-play from Riley Corcoran. Saturday, assistant SID, Eric Taber provided color analysis. I believe all three games can be watched on demand.

Here are a couple of plays from the weekend, starting with Colburn's tater and followed by Walker's 2-RBI hit in game three.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/853343861086617601[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES_SB/status/853353851054718976[/tweet]

Dang I'd love to watch these girls. Would love to take my 11 year old to see them. She's a decent player and would give her aspirations HAHAHA

Sweeeeeep!

animated_broom.gif

Pinkerton has built this program to be competitive pretty quickly. He's done an amazing job, in my opinion. If they can keep the instate talent to commit, it could be quite a program.

Question: Does the Big Sky champ get an automatic invitation to the NCAA playoffs? I mean, like basketball, do they get to compete against the big teams?

Made the almost 3 hour drive to Zoo town to take a couple young fast pitch players to their (and my) first Griz softball game. It was a bit chilly but a great experience. Hood is the real deal on the mound. She can bring it. Guy next to me said she has hit 70 mph on the gun. And she's a freshman! We have some gals who can flat out hit the ball too. And best of all....that field and stadium are so cool. What an awesome field turf design. We had a great day and I'd highly recommend it. Griz swept UNC and are 9-3 in conference.

citay said:
Question: Does the Big Sky champ get an automatic invitation to the NCAA playoffs? I mean, like basketball, do they get to compete against the big teams?

Yep from my understanding all college softball is D1 level so they'd face the big teams (they already took on Oregon and some other bigs this year).

Big Sky Conference Tournament Champion will get the bid to the NCAA Regionals. Just like basketball minus the play-ins. Last year, Weber State was the first regular champion to win the tournament in the Big Sky's short history.

HookedonGriz said:
citay said:

Yep from my understanding all college softball is D1 level so they'd face the big teams (they already took on Oregon and some other bigs this year).

Ya, NCAA softball postseason pretty cool. 64 teams get in. The set up is pretty cool too.

Round 1:64 teams divided into 16 groups with 4 teams in each playing a double elimination 4 team tourney garenteing two games. The 16 group winners advance. (The Big Sky has yet to win a tourney game yet. I see Montana bucking that trend soon)
Round 2:the remaining 16 teams are seeded and paired off to play best of three series's with the 8 winners advancing.
Round 3:the remaining 8 are split into two groups of four with achieve group playing another double elimination tourney with the winner of each grou advancing to the final.
Round 4:championship best of three series. The overall winner will have to win at least 10 games.

alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
citay said:

Ya, NCAA softball postseason pretty cool. 64 teams get in. The set up is pretty cool too.

Round 1:64 teams divided into 16 groups with 4 teams in each playing a double elimination 4 team tourney garenteing two games. The 16 group winners advance. (The Big Sky has yet to win a tourney game yet. I see Montana bucking that trend soon)
Round 2:the remaining 16 teams are seeded and paired off to play best of three series's with the 8 winners advancing.
Round 3:the remaining 8 are split into two groups of four with achieve group playing another double elimination tourney with the winner of each grou advancing to the final.
Round 4:championship best of three series. The overall winner will have to win at least 10 games.

Thanks for this info, Alabamagrizzly. Are there ever innings limits imposed on pitchers in tourneys like this?

grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
citay said:

Thanks for this info, Alabamagrizzly. Are there ever innings limits imposed on pitchers in tourneys like this?
I don't think so. For one, the whole tourney is spread out over almost a month. I know that innings limits for fastpitch softball isn't as necessary as say baseball. The throwing motion is far less strenuous then overhand.

alabamagrizzly said:
grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:

I don't think so. For one, the whole tourney is spread out over almost a month. I know that innings limits for fastpitch softball isn't as necessary as say baseball. The throwing motion is far less strenuous then overhand.

True. But I saw a lot of "Big Hoss" fastpitch aces back in the 70s & 80s dominate... until they had to carry their their teams through a weekend invitational. Coulda been the beer, but I don't think so. In short, I've seen good fastpitch aces with a natural motion also wear down. If there's no NCAA regulation, it must not be a major concern. But, I guess I'm one of those who believes a weekly inning limit is good for the game because it would get more kids on the mound. More in the game. A motivator for that 2nd or 3rd tier pitcher to keep sharp.

grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:

True. But I saw a lot of "Big Hoss" fastpitch aces back in the 70s & 80s dominate... until they had to carry their their teams through a weekend invitational. Coulda been the beer, but I don't think so. In short, I've seen good fastpitch aces with a natural motion also wear down. If there's no NCAA regulation, it must not be a major concern. But, I guess I'm one of those who believes a weekly inning limit is good for the game because it would get more kids on the mound. More in the game. A motivator for that 2nd or 3rd tier pitcher to keep sharp.

Well if our incoming Fr P is anywhere near as good as advertised, we are gonna have a very potent 1-2 combo. Tristin Achenbach out of CMR has dominated the competition. Her first three years she played at Conrad-Choteau but she has already transferred her success to Montanas highest level of high school softball. As a Fr she was All-State. As a So she repeated the All-State selection and added Eastern Division MVP. As a Jr she repeated both of those and added Mt Gatorade POY and a MaxPreps small school All-American to her credentials. Her Jr year was complete domination. 23-0 and a 0.19 era, both state records. 19 shutouts, 12 no hitters, and 4 perfect games, the last in the state championship game giving her team their second state title in a row. In a 151 innings she struck out 338 batters(more then two an inning), walked only 6 and gave up 24 hits allowing a .052 batting average. That's 1 hit every 20 batters. In her first year at CMR through the team's first four games, she's pitched 16.2 innings in two starts and a relief appearance. She's struck out 28(almost 1.5 k's an inning) and allowed only 5 hits and has yet to allow a run. She's also hit a homer this year too. With the other solid recruits that Pinkerton is bringing in, I see us ruling the Big Sky for a little while at least.

Back