• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BLAST FROM THE PAST

IntuitiveGriz

DONOR
http://buttesports.com/remembering-butte-boy-took-rebels/

The downtown Pork Chop Johns was nearly empty late one weekend night in March of 1991.
Only two tables were taken, and the old Pac-Man machine was vacant.

I was at one table, and Gary Kane and a group of friends was at another across the room. I sat there slowly eating my pork chop and drinking my chocolate milkshake while doing a very poor job of trying to pretend I wasn’t listening to Kane’s conversation.

Kane and his Montana Grizzlies had just played against UNLV in the 1991 NCAA Tournament. The former Butte High star hit a few 3-pointers and scored a team-leading 15 points in the 99-65 loss to UNLV, which I still say is the best college basketball team I ever saw.

I was too nervous to go up and talk to Kane and ask him about playing against Larry Johnson, Greg Anthony and Stacey Augmon. Luckily, the guys Kane was with were asking all the right questions.
I eavesdropped and hung on every word. Even though I was trying really hard not to stare, I’m quite sure Kane could tell.

Kane did a great job describing what it was like playing against Jerry Tarkanian’s legendary team. He talked about the crowd in Arizona, and he gave some colorful examples of the trash talk he received from defending champions.

I specifically remember Kane describing to the group what it felt like to be on a team that appeared on the NCAA 64-team tournament bracket. When he was filling out a bracket as a kid, he said, he could only dream of being on one of those teams, and now he was.

While he certainly didn’t appear to get caught up in the moment when he played, he was clearly blown away by it all afterward.

Everybody in town was just as excited about seeing a Butte boy playing for a team on the bracket, though nobody was crazy enough to pick the No. 16-seeded Grizzlies to beat the No. 1 Runnin’ Rebels.

That game was so much fun to watch. Every UNLV game was fun back in those days. They were like the “Showtime” Lakers, only the UNLV players were paid more. Allegedly.

As amazing as that UNLV team was that night, the best thing about watching that game was seeing that a Butte boy definitely belonged on the court. He was one of the better players in that game, and if the Rebels had a shooter like Kane on their side a couple weeks later they never would have lost to Duke.
That is, of course, assuming that gamblers didn’t pay the UNLV players to lose that game, which they likely did.

There’s no way Duke really beat that team, and the photo of the UNLV players in a hot tub with known game fixer Richard Perry is all the evidence I need to know that the Rebels threw that game. They also probably bugged Trump Tower.

Following along as Kane led the Butte High Bulldogs was exciting, too. I’ll never forget crowding around the radio in Mr. Brophy’s class at Butte Central Junior High to hear Kane hit a game-winning shot at the buzzer in the first-round of the 1989 Class AA State tournament in Billings.

Sadly, I’ll never forget listening to the radio in my kitchen as the Bulldogs fell victim to not committing enough second-half fouls as they scrambled to try to get the ball back in their championship-game loss to Kalispell.

Though they didn’t take a parade in a fire truck that season, that 1988-89 Butte High basketball team, which went 21-1, is still the best I ever saw. Never in a million years did I think that team could lose.

They were the 1991 Runnin’ Rebels of Montana high school basketball.

I wonder if there’s a photo floating around of Gary Kane, Todd Ericson and Jasson McNallie in a hot tub with a notorious game fixer.

While that team was full of great players, Kane was the star. He averaged 21.5 points per game. He is the only Butte High player to ever average more than 20 points in a season. Any season.

MTN Sports named Kane one of the top 50 Montana players over the last 50 years for a reason. He was also named the Montana Gatorade Player of the Year for 1988-89.

Watching Kane play at the University of Montana, though, was even better. It was so much fun to see a Butte boy shine on the big stage.

Kane hit 68 3-pointers for the Grizzlies during the 1990-91 season, and the next year he helped the Grizzlies defend their Big Sky Conference title and advance to the NCAA Tournament to play Florida State.

It is only a matter of time before Kane is enshrined in the Butte Sports Hall of Fame. He very well could be the best basketball player the Mining City ever produce. He’s at least in that conversation.
Unfortunately, Kane’s story falls on the incomplete side.

His final years at the University of Montana were disrupted by a frustrating and mysterious injury. The injury was one that, possibly, was brought on because he worked his body too hard.

How about that? One of the most talented players is also the hardest worker? That is something we don’t see nearly enough, but it was, by all accounts, the case with Gary Kane.

That is why he received Montana’s Naseby Rhinehard Award as the Grizzlies’ most inspirational player in 1994. In case you didn’t notice, that is a really big deal.

Because of that injury, we only got to see a glimpse of Kane’s greatness. But what a glimpse it was.
His great career was substantial enough that we don’t have to ask “what might have been?” But we still can’t help but wonder just that because his start in Missoula was so incredible.

Maybe the injury is why, a quarter of a century later, Kane seems to be a bit underappreciated. Maybe his star just didn’t shine long enough for everyone to notice.

The people who really watched him play, however, remember well.

Every time people talk about brackets this time of year, I think about Gary Kane showing the world he belonged on the same court as that great UNLV team. I think about how much fun that was.
I remember his enthusiasm as he described that he had as much fun playing as we did watching, if not more.

And it makes me crave a pork chop with a chocolate shake.

— Bill Foley (UM Grad), who has never been photographed in a hot tub with a notorious game fixer, writes a column that appears Tuesday on ButteSports.com. Email him at [email protected]. Follow him at twitter.com/Foles74.

I lived in LV during those years and there simply was no other game in town. I remember using the "pencil" to get some VIP's into the Convention Center and I think you are trying to say that UNLV cheated during those years. NO, Tarkanian might have walked a narrow ledge but UNLV represented wha the NCAA said it opposed, and they never quite said IT.. Tark knew how to recruit the guys others either failed to see or feared were trouble. North Carolina, today, has been caught and the NCAA does nothing..But the same NCAA spent years and years trying to get Tark..By the way, in LV in the mid and late 70s even the few remaining goodfellas wanted to be seen with the Runnin' Rebs...The highlight of the Montana game in the first round was the very beginning where UM took a 16 point lead, with a monstrous lob that forced UNLV to call time out..it was over then...The refs gave that game to Duke...just like they did to UNC this year.

Bill Foley is one of the best sport's writers in the state...good guy. Love reading his columns, especially while I went to Tech

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :eek:

IntuitiveGriz said:

I wonder if there’s a photo floating around of Gary Kane, Todd Ericson and Jasson McNallie in a hot tub with a notorious game fixer.

Great article. I remember Gary coming over to my house when we were in grade school. Even then he was draining 3 pointers with either hand with ease......

GrizLA said:
I lived in LV during those years and there simply was no other game in town. I remember using the "pencil" to get some VIP's into the Convention Center and I think you are trying to say that UNLV cheated during those years. NO, Tarkanian might have walked a narrow ledge but UNLV represented wha the NCAA said it opposed, and they never quite said IT.. Tark knew how to recruit the guys others either failed to see or feared were trouble. North Carolina, today, has been caught and the NCAA does nothing..But the same NCAA spent years and years trying to get Tark..By the way, in LV in the mid and late 70s even the few remaining goodfellas wanted to be seen with the Runnin' Rebs...The highlight of the Montana game in the first round was the very beginning where UM took a 16 point lead, with a monstrous lob that forced UNLV to call time out..it was over then...The refs gave that game to Duke...just like they did to UNC this year.

Wow! I did not remember this, at all. Are you saying we were up on UNLV by 16 points? I find that hard to believe.

Grizzly Oredigger said:
Bill Foley is one of the best sport's writers in the state...good guy. Love reading his columns, especially while I went to Tech

I agree, Grizzly Oredigger. Bill is a great writer, he tells a good story, and often writes with heart--which is what sports and life are all about. He is a Griz Grad too, and just a few years younger than me.

Proud Griz Man said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :eek:

IntuitiveGriz said:

It's clear to everyone I didn't write that, so what gives?

NorthEndZoneDan said:
man did that bring back memories. Watching Kane play was a treat, Butte-tough with a sweet shot!

We all went to different grade schools, but I first got to play b-ball with Ericson (#37) in jr. high and then him and Kane my freshman year. Those two (along with 6'7" McNallie) were something else. :shock:

Kane growing up was the definition of a gym rat, spent a ton of time shooting there with a family member feeding him for shot after shot. He had natural talent, but also was out-worked by no one. Great personality as well, everyone thought he would make a great politiican because he was so personable.

putter said:
Great article. I remember Gary coming over to my house when we were in grade school. Even then he was draining 3 pointers with either hand with ease......

Awesome, putter! Thanks for sharing that.

I remember playing pick-up ball in HS outside at Hillcrest Elem, with the slightly lower and bent rims... we spent most of the time trying to dunk than we did anything else. :lol: Where has the decades years gone? And where's my flippin' walker?

citay said:
GrizLA said:

Wow! I did not remember this, at all. Are you saying we were up on UNLV by 16 points? I find that hard to believe.
So did UNLV, but after the time out..it was a dreary game....
There was another team coached by Montgomery that played UNLV and Tark, and they also had a fast start up 16, again, it resulted in a blow out.

IntuitiveGriz said:
putter said:

I remember playing pick-up ball in HS outside at Hillcrest Elem, with the slightly lower and bent rims... we spent most of the time trying to dunk than we did anything else. :lol: Where has the decades years gone? And where's my flippin' walker?

I agree. Our Butte athletes we grew up with were crazy good. Kane, Ericson, Lembke, Allen, McNallie,Smith, Dunstan, LeProwse, Mirich. I am attempting to avoid the walker at all cost

putter said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
putter said:

I agree. Our Butte athletes we grew up with were crazy good. Kane, Ericson, Lembke, Allen, McNallie,Smith, Dunstan, LeProwse, Mirich. I am attempting to avoid the walker at all cost

I see LeProwse at the gym. He looks like he could still play LB . And Smith is one of the nicest kids I've ever known. Last time I saw him at a house party 5 years ago I backed him down (pretending to dribble), he laughed his big laugh.

Hey Intuitive. Any chance you could set up a meeting between me and LeProwse? I've wanted a piece of that son of a bitch for a long time

Back