• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Anderson, Samuelson leave Griz basketball

Sucks losing Samuelson, but I swear I may lose my effing mind if Anderson goes to a place like EWU, and eventually averages 22 and 8 like another former grizzly. Anderson is capable of those numbers.

It is not a huge surprise that Anderson has decided to leave. It is not a secret that he was not enamored with TD, thought he was to tough and didn't really like it.

HelenaHandBasket said:
It is not a huge surprise that Anderson has decided to leave. It is not a secret that he was not enamored with TD, thought he was to tough and didn't really like it.

Was that the adversity TD keep talking about.

Damn. I was excited to watch Anderson and thought Samuelson was a solid contributor. Wonder if Samuelson ends up at Rocky. We have some great players coming in but I still think it's a big loss.

Well, I read somewhere that there may be a grad transfer from Gonzaga looking around...

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZDoc said:
Well, I read somewhere that there may be a grad transfer from Gonzaga looking around...

He should look elsewhere.

Yeah I saw the other thread after trying to be a smart azz. I'd love a nice 6' 8" rebounder.

MtTarheel said:
Colter said espn radio that we were oversigned prior to departures. Who am I missing?
I only count eleven players on scholarships if Anderson and Samuelson are gone. There are three incoming freshmen, the JC player, Oguine, Pridgett, Rorie, Moorehead, Dorsey, Akoh and Krslovik. That makes eleven. Who am I missing? I am super bummed that Anderson is leaving. :(

Wow. A stunner. And not an April Fool's joke. Stunning because:
--These are not marginal players. Samuelson looked like he could blossom into a bigger version of his Dad Shawn, an all-time Griz, and Anderson was a star in one of the toughest high school leagues in the country in Seattle. And both are the "bigs" this team needs. When I said, "The cavalry is coming next year," Anderson was leading the charge. Add to that, Samuelson is a legacy player, a kid who apparently wanted to play for the Griz his entire life.
--DeCuire's relationships with the father in Jared's case, and the high school coach in Alphonso's case. Didn't Travis play on the same team with Shawn? (Or am I wrong about that.) And wasn't DeCuire super-close to Anderson's high school coach, Ed Haskins? Seems if there were personal issues, there would have been a father and a mentor their to help smooth things out.
--The stability of our program. Sure, players come and go; in fact, Krysko's Utes just said goodbye to two key players. And yes, we've lost a few players over the past several seasons, yet for years we've sat smugly by while other programs churned through players ("Hi, Cats"). It seemed our program was a model of stability, and especially under DeCuire, whose vision, recruiting, scheduling and preparation have been tone perfect.
So what's going on? I think each case is different.
Samuelson: No idea. I really like his game. It takes time for bigs to develop, and Samuelson was no different. He may have been inconsistent, but he showed flashes of brilliance, wonderful low-post moves. And I expect in the next three years he will really fill out and become a bruiser inside. Sure, we have more bigs on the way, and there will be competition for playing time. But this was not the case of a marginal talent. This was the case of a legacy player, son of an all-time Griz, a kid who wanted to play here, and showed the same potential as his Dad, suddenly leaving. Stunning.
Anderson: To me, his departure, while extremely disheartening, is not as stunning as for Samuelson. I am a firm believer that it is only the heart that sees rightly, and there were indications his heart was not in it in Missoula. Small town versus Seattle? Problems with DeCuire? I have no idea.
I do believe this: DeCuire, like Krysko, like Tinks, like every coach in the fabled Montana coaching tree from Heathcote forward, is "old oak." Which is to say, "Old school." Almost every coach in this tree has been a real screamer, sometimes raging out of control on the sidelines, a la Bobby Knight. And you play by their rules, period. Remember, DeCuire's coaching mentor is Mike Montgomery, another screamer, another old-school guy.
But also remember, Montgomery is two generations removed from today's players. As Gertrude Stein said, We're all the same people, but each generation sees differently. And I don't think today's socially conscious generation takes to old-school screaming and yelling. Today's model is Steve Kerr, or Luke Walton, whose very first rule of coaching is, "Have fun!" Warriors practices are nothing but fun, from the loud music, to the hijinks, to the free-throw shooting competitions between Kerr and Curry. On the sidelines, Kerr is most often seen sitting, even when the Warriors commit a horrendous turnover. Not once in the three years that he's coached here have I seen him publicly scream at a player during a game. Any recrimination is carried out in the privacy of a huddle. Little wonder so many successful college coaches--including Montgomery--have been failures at the pro level. The tyrannical behavior we permit college coaches just doesn't cut it in the pros.
Or, apparently, with Alphonso Anderson.

MtTarheel said:
Colter said espn radio that we were oversigned prior to departures. Who am I missing?

That's not true. They had all 13 scholarships filled, but they weren't oversigned

Yeah sucks to lose these young players that had upside but on the bright side this does open up a Schollie for a grad transfer, traditional transfer, JC player or even another frosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back