• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New coach won't change UM culture...but something else might.

Silvertip

Yada yada yada..new coach...new players...new expectations...and so it goes with the same old results. As the governor continues to remind us Montana is in a fiscal funk and nowhere more so than in higher ed where academics and athletics subsist on a Devil's Island diet. What to do? Well, anticipating Darwin's theory of natural selection we might consider proactively jumping the gun and assign one of the state's six languishing units to extinction. And that would be a campus with some market value...mmm... like UM.

Heresy you say, but then there's the upside. The lock-stock-and-barrel marketing of the Missoula campus would limit bidding to none other than the Jesuits and Christian Brothers - and maybe the Marists, but with a single iron clad restriction - that being a commitment to creating an uber competitive basketball program. There were no fewer than a dozen Catholic schools represented in this year's NCAA championships - and arguably anyone of them was superior to the Griz or any of its Big Sky brethren. At least the selection committee thought so - and seems to think so annually. The Griz, playing the close but no cigar role, have never matched the aforementioned " new expectations" since Jim Naismith hung the first peach basket.

Maybe it's time for something truly radical to change the fortunes of basketball, even if the University of Montana were to dissolve into something that hopefully might be named anything other than Saint Jude College. Why should a Gonzaga have all the fun?

Silvertip said:
Yada yada yada..new coach...new players...new expectations...and so it goes with the same old results. As the governor continues to remind us Montana is in a fiscal funk and nowhere more so than in higher ed where academics and athletics subsist on a Devil's Island diet. What to do? Well, anticipating Darwin's theory of natural selection we might consider proactively jumping the gun and assign one of the state's six languishing units to extinction. And that would be a campus with some market value...mmm... like UM.

Heresy you say, but then there's the upside. The lock-stock-and-barrel marketing of the Missoula campus would limit bidding to none other than the Jesuits and Christian Brothers - and maybe the Marists, but with a single iron clad restriction - that being a commitment to creating an uber competitive basketball program. There were no fewer than a dozen Catholic schools represented in this year's NCAA championships - and arguably anyone of them was superior to the Griz or any of its Big Sky brethren. At least the selection committee thought so - and seems to think so annually. The Griz, playing the close but no cigar role, have never matched the aforementioned " new expectations" since Jim Naismith hung the first peach basket.

Maybe it's time for something truly radical to change the fortunes of basketball, even if the University of Montana were to dissolve into something that hopefully might be named anything other than Saint Jude College. Why should a Gonzaga have all the fun?

I will try to sort through the ramble. I think what you are proposing is that UM should become a religious affiliated school. Of course there is that whole US Constitution thing that mentions something called the separation of church and state. Sorry but its University of MONTANA....not University of St. Montana.

200_s.gif

:shock: :roll:

There also had been talk in the past of looking to close a small school like Western and/or Northern. Huge blows for Havre and Dillon but would save a lot of money supporting those schools.....a little off track but same idea

I don't want to go too far in trying to interpret for Silvertip. But what he says, I agree with, based upon my own experiences as a 60s-70s student and a longtime UM supporter. Montana has always been the defiant (yet gifted) problem child of an esteemed traditional family (call that the State of Montana).

Short of raising taxes (which won't happen, given Montana's current legislative (im)balance):
• Some state "services" face impending dramatic funding cuts. Post-secondary education in Montana faces dramatic cuts.
• So, does the state close several of the smaller institutions? Or does it -- once and finally -- cut ties with its rebellious offspring?

Don't know if there are any Dominican (Franciscan? etc. etc.) organizations with the financial resources to purchase the university with the focus of dramatic growth (including continued financial support of its excellent athletic programs/facilities).

Who knows? Maybe there's a technology corp interested in maintaining the core studies while adding a core for technological and futurist studies? THEN they could pay competitive salaries to keep good coaches and draw top academic and athletic talent.

Ok, Silvertip. I may be waaay off on this. If so, then I admit that it's a strain of thought I've been entertaining, given how UM just doesn't seem to fit the profiles that many legislators around the state (for the past 60 years or so) have publicly voiced.

grizzlyjournal said:
I don't want to go too far in trying to interpret for Silvertip. But what he says, I agree with, based upon my own experiences as a 60s-70s student and a longtime UM supporter. Montana has always been the defiant (yet gifted) problem child of an esteemed traditional family (call that the State of Montana).

Short of raising taxes (which won't happen, given Montana's current legislative (im)balance):
• Some state "services" face impending dramatic funding cuts. Post-secondary education in Montana faces dramatic cuts.
• So, does the state close several of the smaller institutions? Or does it -- once and finally -- cut ties with its rebellious offspring?

Don't know if there are any Dominican (Franciscan? etc. etc.) organizations with the financial resources to purchase the university with the focus of dramatic growth (including continued financial support of its excellent athletic programs/facilities).

Who knows? Maybe there's a technology corp interested in maintaining the core studies while adding a core for technological and futurist studies? THEN they could pay competitive salaries to keep good coaches and draw top academic and athletic talent.

Ok, Silvertip. I may be waaay off on this. If so, then I admit that it's a strain of thought I've been entertaining, given how UM just doesn't seem to fit the profiles that many legislators around the state (for the past 60 years or so) have publicly voiced.

Warm...warmer...

Back