• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If DeCuire leaves, who do want as a replacement?

kyle_sample

DONOR
I went on a bit of a rant in another forum and on Twitter what I think Montana should do in the event that Travis DeCuire is hired at Cal. But I didn't hear much from fans about who they would like to see replace DeCuire, so who would you want?

I'd love to see another assistant PAC 12 coach get the job. I also wouldn't mind staying in house or potentially a mountain west coach who's had success.

...look in house..let travis have major input...
...we are proven stepping stone to the big time...
...list the former coaches and the destinations they took...
...look at every young aggressive assistant in the west and pick the best...

... :cool: ...

Romar would be interesting but Griz have a long history of hiring within the program or hiring someone with strong Griz bball ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
Romar would be interesting but Griz have a long history of hiring within the program or hiring someone with strong Griz bball ties.

Why? His team was miserable this year...and not without some talent.

What about Ken Bone? He was an assistant at Montana to DeCuire and former head coach at Washington State University. He is currently on staff with Mark Few at Gonzaga. He I think lives in Missoula and commutes to Spokane to help out with the Zags, I believe has kids in school in Missoula still.

What about Danny Sprinkle at Cal State Fullerton? Former bobcat player yes, but wouldn't just irk bobcat fans :) If Gregorak can do it, anyone can right?

I think there are some other Pac12 assistants who would be interested.

Cobb, Bone, or bring back Taylor (if he is still up to it, and has his priorities straight). I'd be for bringing on Derek Selvig as an assistant, to pump some young GRIZ blood into the program.

Brother Bear said:
What about Ken Bone? He was an assistant at Montana to DeCuire and former head coach at Washington State University. He is currently on staff with Mark Few at Gonzaga. He I think lives in Missoula and commutes to Spokane to help out with the Zags, I believe has kids in school in Missoula still.

What about Danny Sprinkle at Cal State Fullerton? Former bobcat player yes, but wouldn't just irk bobcat fans :) If Gregorak can do it, anyone can right?

I think there are some other Pac12 assistants who would be interested.

That would've been my suggestion as well. Bone would be a solid hire. But, this will be a moot point as TD will see this thing through for a couple more years! (please...please...???)

I think it's highly unfair to kids today that they have to sit out a year if they transfer, but a coach leaves and it's, "See ya!" You bring in Bone, Chris Cobb goes with DeCuire, leaving these kids not playing for either of the coaches that recruited them. Not fair. If DeCuire leaves, I think we have an obligation to hire Cobb, if he wants the job. You make changes at the top only when the program is in trouble--and that is not the case at Montana. Plus, several branches of the Montana coaching tree grew from within.

Mousegriz said:
dayday said:

Why? His team was miserable this year...and not without some talent.

Yeah not sure if he is necessarily terrible he coached some good teams in the past but yeah only reason I said interesting is he has instant credibility and recruiting prowess in Seattle/Tacoma and in the Bay Area. It won't happen and doubt he's interested just was saying it would be interesting.

Personally think it will be Cobb unless TDC pays him top dollar to be his assistant at Cal with back up being Bone. I honestly will be surprised a bit if TDC gets the job. Not sure the AD will take the risk.

I don't think Bone will be asked back.

He left before his contract at UM was finished and there was some "question" as to what compensation was owed him. Of note, neither Travis nor UM Administration thanked Ken for his contributions at UM, and Bone did not thank Travis or UM for the opportunity. I don't think he left in good standing.

Bone had some good teams at PSU, but he had some guys with questionable character on those teams. Remember also that PSU was penalized for academic shortcomings as Bone left.

citay said:
I think it's highly unfair to kids today that they have to sit out a year if they transfer, but a coach leaves and it's, "See ya!" You bring in Bone, Chris Cobb goes with DeCuire, leaving these kids not playing for either of the coaches that recruited them. Not fair. If DeCuire leaves, I think we have an obligation to hire Cobb, if he wants the job. You make changes at the top only when the program is in trouble--and that is not the case at Montana. Plus, several branches of the Montana coaching tree grew from within.

Nailed it

maroonandsilver said:
I don't think Bone will be asked back.

He left before his contract at UM was finished and there was some "question" as to what compensation was owed him. Of note, neither Travis nor UM Administration thanked Ken for his contributions at UM, and Bone did not thank Travis or UM for the opportunity. I don't think he left in good standing.

Bone had some good teams at PSU, but he had some guys with questionable character on those teams. Remember also that PSU was penalized for academic shortcomings as Bone left.

This is not exactly an accurate representation of what happened. Bone left one month before his LOA expired and Montana paid him the remainder of the contract. Also, DeCuire thanked Bone for his contributions and Bone thanked DeCuire for giving him the opportunity to be his associate head coach. However, there was on urge from both sides to go in separate directions.
This is the story I wrote when he resigned: http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/bone-resigns-as-montana-s-associate-head-coach/article_afc74a2a-efde-5284-9c66-9f3b6e2586ad.html

Back