• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why I Believe Travis is a Serious Candiate at Cal

citygriz

After Mike Williams, the athletic director at Cal, hired Justin Wilcox as the new head football coach, he said of his new hire, "He's one of us."

As one who lives in the Bay Area, I immediately knew what he meant. Cal is a special place. Other schools may mouth clichés about academic excellence, but Cal is one of the leading academic institutions in the country. No Louisville or North Carolina scandal would be tolerated here. In fact, Williams himself was on the Chancellor's Task Force for Academics and Athletics. How to succeed both in the classroom and at athletic competition is a huge issue for Cal, especially since it's in the shadow of Stanford, which makes it work.

More, Cal is rooted in the Bay Area, the home of the Free Speech Movement and Harry Edwards, capitol of Queer Culture, site of several sanctuary cities and home to the most diverse ethnic and religious groups in the country. Once, a few years ago, when my nephews were young, I took them to a neighborhood swimming pool in Portland. And my very first reactions was, "Where are the black kids? Where are the Chinese kids? Where are the Hispanic kids?" You become so used to seeing them, and interacting with them, that not to see them is a shock. What may be Berzerkeley to many others, is home to those of us who live here. If you're even 10% for Rush Limbaugh, you're not going to be happy in the Bay Area.

But before Wilcox, Cal went outside its own culture for its major sports hires. For football it picked Sonny Dykes, from Lousiana Tech; for basketball, Cuonzo Martin, from Tennessee. Both had big flashy reputations, Dykes for his wide-open "air raid" offense in football, and Martin for his incredible recruiting talent. Result? Dykes was fired after four years, and while Martin left of his own accord, it can't be said that Cal was happy with him. He made the NCAA tournament once, only to be eliminated in the opening game, and this year suffered a humiliating loss to Cal Bakersfield, an eight seed in the NIT tournament, while Cal playing at home, was a one seed. Neither coach exactly fit the Berkeley culture.

Now, it's apparent that in their hiring mode, Cal is looking more inward, for "one of us." That was true of football, and it appears that is their approach to this hire. And this is why Travis looms so large, in my opinion. If ever there were "one of us in the Bay Area" that coach would be our own Mike Montgomery, legendary at both Stanford and Cal, and the one who highly recommended Travis as his successor when he retired three years ago. Travis knows the program, knows the culture, and while he hasn't won the big games at Montana, anybody even casually aware of our program knows the excitement that he has built in three years here.

More, there may be a racial element here. You would hope not, but Mike Williams is black, and he cannot be unaware of the clamor everywhere for more black coaches in college athletics. (Me being part of that clamor.) His football hire was for a white guy, but he may well figure it's time to even out the racial balance by hiring a black coach for basketball. The most obvious choice down here is Randy Bennett, who's had such success at St. Mary's, and nobody could argue with that choice. But Bennett is white, and most of his talent comes from Australia; in fact, down here, St. Mary's is often called "The University of Australia at Moraga." Bennett may not be the face that Cal wants to put on its basketball program.

Travis may not get this job; I still would rate him a long shot. But he has to be a very serious candidate, in my opinion. I have an attorney friend who is very close to the Cal program, and he promises to let me know if he hears anything. Of course, I'll pass it on.

Has to be expected but damn wished this was in about 2-3 years. If this happens TD has my full support and well wishes.

Nice write up Citay.

I believe Travis will be the coach of Cal......sometime in the future (hopefully not too near). For this hire at this particular time though, Musselman is a slam dunk. He has NBA coaching pedigree, combined with his recruiting & what he's done at Nevada.......his resume is far superior than Travis' at this point. He may not be a "Cal guy" per se, but he does have roots in the area. TDC needs some more success here at Montana. It's on the horizon for him, just not now.

Excellent post and well-reasoned. I'm certain that Mr. DeCuire is on a very short list, and I don't need to imagine that one Mike Montgomery is making his case for Montana's coach.

Beyond delving into qualifications, I find it incredible that the Montana coaching tree that took root when esteemed Univ. of Washington coach, Marv Harshman touted a then-young assistant (Jud Heathcote) to be Montana's coach. Since then, that coaching tree has expanded greatly (with the lone exception of an ill-advised graft in 2000). Every successful Montana coach was part of the tree. Prettty impressive.

Jud Heathcote (Michigan State)
Jim Brandenburg (Wyoming)
Mike Montgomery (Stanford, California)
Stew Morrill (Utah State)
Blaine Taylor (Old Dominion)
Larry Krystkowiak (Utah)
Wayne Tinkle (Oregon State)

Quite a few D1 hoops regalia in that lineup.
I used to get panicky at the mention of a Montana coach moving on. But, beyond the anomaly of Robin Selvig, conditions in Montana simply do not support the concept of a successful coach (in any sport) sticking around for long simply because they love the scenery and the fly fishing.

The good thing about the above list is that it's a great inducement to draw top level assistant coaches to the program, since all of the coaches above except Heathcote were assistants before being promoted.

Go Griz.

GoldStandardGriz said:
I believe Travis will be the coach of Cal......sometime in the future (hopefully not too near). For this hire at this particular time though, Musselman is a slam dunk. He has NBA coaching pedigree, combined with his recruiting & what he's done at Nevada.......his resume is far superior than Travis' at this point. He may not be a "Cal guy" per se, but he does have roots in the area. TDC needs some more success here at Montana. It's on the horizon for him, just not now.

If Musselman gets the Cal job, will Nevada then focus on Travis?

grizzlyjournal said:
I find it incredible that the Montana coaching tree that took root when esteemed Univ. of Washington coach, Marv Harshman touted a then-young assistant (Jud Heathcote) to be Montana's coach. Since then, that coaching tree has expanded greatly

clarification on Marv Harshman - Washington State (1958-1971) and later UW (1971- 1985)

nevertheless your point is well made and valid about the successful coaching tree.

maroonandsilver said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

He wouldn't be interested in that job

kyle_sample said:
maroonandsilver said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

The easy/quick fix hire for them would be ex-UNLV head coach & current Nevada assistant Dave Rice, an excellent recruiter but so-so X's & O's coach. But like Kyle said, we're safe from Nevada trying to poach our coach.

kyle_sample said:
maroonandsilver said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

My thought too.

Proud Griz Man said:
grizzlyjournal said:
I find it incredible that the Montana coaching tree that took root when esteemed Univ. of Washington coach, Marv Harshman touted a then-young assistant (Jud Heathcote) to be Montana's coach. Since then, that coaching tree has expanded greatly

clarification on Marv Harshman - Washington State (1958-1971) and later UW (1971- 1985)

nevertheless your point is well made and valid about the successful coaching tree.

My mistake! Apologies.

kyle_sample said:
maroonandsilver said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

curious as to why you think that?. it is about twice the pay, in a more high profile league. i would think even if its a stepping stone for a couple years its worth it.

braves84 said:
kyle_sample said:
maroonandsilver said:
GoldStandardGriz said:

curious as to why you think that?. it is about twice the pay, in a more high profile league. i would think even if its a stepping stone for a couple years its worth it.

They are already competitive with that program off the court. Considering the reputation of Montana's staff in the recruiting grounds both programs target, it's a lateral move. The pay is better because of the money Mountain West programs get from TV contracts, but the potential of each program (with what Montana has coming in) isn't any different. Also with the stuff DeCuire has done for program off the court, going to Nevada would just be starting over.
The only thing with Nevada is it is more likely to get an at-large if it can get into the top 25 or near it and not win the conference championship. Montana would have to win 28 or 29 regular season games to get into the top 25 and that wouldn't even guarantee it an at-large

Do you think DeCuire has the resume here at Montana that would lead the Cal leadership to believe it would be a solid hire? He is a Cal guy with Montgomery but the boosters would see someone moving to his 2nd head coaching position moving from the Big Sky to the Pac-12 that has a career winning percentage of 58%.

putter said:
Do you think DeCuire has the resume here at Montana that would lead the Cal leadership to believe it would be a solid hire? He is a Cal guy with Montgomery but the boosters would see someone moving to his 2nd head coaching position moving from the Big Sky to the Pac-12 that has a career winning percentage of 58%.

I'm guessing the boosters know him a little more intimately than that. For all the credit Travis gets as a coach, what he does away from the court to connect with the Program is pretty incredible. I can't go into detail because of the way I've come across most of this information (I can't report off the record conversations) but if his ability to build a rapport with boosters and engender their faith at Montana is in anyway similar to what he did during his six years at Cal, the boosters there know him as something a little more than his record at Montana.

Still, watch out for Russell Turner. His reputation around college basketball and specifically the West Coast is very, very good.

putter said:

^ This. Yes.

Eric Musselman met with Cal officials twice but has decided to remain at Nevada, a source told @CBSSports. Working on a new deal now.

Just on twitter now

maroonandsilver said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Sounds like Cal couldn't close the deal.

Nevada upped the ante considerably.

Still seems odd. The entire search effort was centered on Musselman and he has a past working relationship with the Assistant AD. Sounds like they gave a few token interviews as window dressing and kept the search very close to the vest within the AD's office. Then they couldn't close the deal. This combined with the timing of the Dykes firing seem to lean towards a poorly run AD's office.

Latest posts

Back