• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cuonzo Martin has resigned from Cal

dayday

DONOR
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/15/cuonzo-martin-resigns-california-missouri-job?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Let the speculation begin..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not too worried about DeCuire leaving just yet.
1. He has unfinished business here.
2. He has yet to prove himself to be truly worthy of the Cal job. He needs to get the GRIZ to the Big Dance and be competitive in it.

DeCuire certainly has the make up to potentially land a big job like Cal, but his resume is not there yet. He has a lot of work left here, to be a top candidate for a job like this. I am confident, DeCuire remains at Montana for a few more years.

mtgrizrule said:
2. He has yet to prove himself to be truly worthy of the Cal job. He needs to get the GRIZ to the Big Dance and be competitive in it.

DeCuire certainly has the make up to potentially land a big job like Cal, but his resume is not there yet. He has a lot of work left here, to be a top candidate for a job like this. I am confident, DeCuire remains at Montana for a few more years.

Well said. I agree.

Hoping that a Montana coach decides (by loyalty or something else) to stay in Missoula is pretty much a moot point. It's a matter of sooner... or later. But not if. So, there's not much sense in worrying about it. We'd be better off hoping that another brilliant young coach is waiting in the wings, when (not if) Mr. DeCuire heads for "greener" pastures. I'm certain that Kent Haslam maintains a hot list of potential candidates.

In a USA Today article examining salaries of all the last year's NCAA qualifying teams, Weber State coach, Randy Rahe, was the top-salaried Big Sky coach, ranked 50th nationally among D1 hoops coaches, somewhere near the $330 K per year mark. That's more than double the two Montana D1 coaches get. It's not so odd that salaries go up from there quite steeply. Wayne Tinkle (Oregon State) is ranked 39th, at approx 900k yearly, and Larry Krystkowiak (Utah) is 14th, somewhere near $2.5 million per year. That small slice means that there are A LOT of Division 1 hoops coaches who make at least double the amount that Montana's two excellent D1 coaches are paid.

Both coaches are bound to have already been contacted by some school, somewhere, that's offering a significant raise. That said, I certainly hope Travis feels his job is not finished at Montana.

mtgrizrule said:

Have to agree, totally, about the resume.

Had this year's team turned in another 20-win season, making three in a row, I suspect there'd be some people calling. A .500 season ... not so much. I do not, however, think he absolutely must get the Griz to the Big Dance and be "competitive." Tinkle got them there, but could not win. So a few more 20-win seasons and one or two NCAA tourney appearances ... he'll get an offer he cannot refuse.

In an interesting NCAA scenario, former Griz assistant coach Jonathan Metzger-Jones -- who went to two NCAA playoffs with the Griz as Wayne Tinkle's assistant -- is headed back to the NCAA finals with UC Davis. The Aggies won the Big West post-season tourney and then today -- in a 16-seed play-in game -- beat North Carolina Central. The Aggies now face top-seed Kansas in the Midwest regional.

Congrats Jono!

citay said:
mtgrizrule said:

Well said. I agree.

Thank you

Well, DeCuire is interviewing for the job. Cal does know him well and he has as much potential as any coach. However, I really would be surprised if he is selected by them. To me, he doesn't yet have the resume for a program like Cal to hire him. I think, they'd like to hire a coach with multiple NCAA appearances, and conference championships. DeCuire is on the verge of that here. I feel, at the very least, he is 2 years away from a job like this.

mtgrizrule said:
Well, DeCuire is interviewing for the job. Cal does know him well and he has as much potential as any coach. However, I really would be surprised if he is selected by them. To me, he doesn't yet have the resume for a program like Cal to hire him. I think, they'd like to hire a coach with multiple NCAA appearances, and conference championships. DeCuire is on the verge of that here. I feel, at the very least, he is 2 years away from a job like this.

I agree. 2 years of NCAA with maybe an upset somewhere would help him a lot.

mtgrizrule said:

Yes. This.

Young bright innovative recruiters and strategists like Travis interviewing for open positions is a very common thing in the coaching profession.

Interesting that even before he was head coach here he was strongly considered for the Cal position. But now "doesn't have the resume"??

Bring back Blaine! And The Zoo! And Fat Dad! And Mega Mouth!

There will be a lot of names that come up if DeCuire gets the Cal job. If that happens, Montana would be wise to turn to Chris Cobb. DeCuire will likely try to bring Cobb -- and Montana's other assistants with him in some capacity. But Montana should make a strong effort to hire him as its next coach. He has a great rapport with administration, boosters, and players. He's well connected to Montana's recruiting areas and is responsible for a majority of the best recruits Montana has signed over the last three years.
Though he is young, Cobb is well respected throughout the West Coast as a recruiter and a coach. He's turned down multiple jobs to stay at Montana. He's a DeCuire protege for sure and has been the hardest working coach during his time here.
If Montana wants to continue the momentum this program has built since May 2014 (say whatever you want about the 16-16 record, it hasn't affected the internal maneuvers DeCuire has made, nor has it impacted the program's reputation with West Coast AAU and high school coaches) Cobb should be the guy UM hires if DeCuire takes the job at Cal

kyle_sample said:
There will be a lot of names that come up if DeCuire gets the Cal job. If that happens, Montana would be wise to turn to Chris Cobb. DeCuire will likely try to bring Cobb -- and Montana's other assistants with him in some capacity. But Montana should make a strong effort to hire him as its next coach. He has a great rapport with administration, boosters, and players. He's well connected to Montana's recruiting areas and is responsible for a majority of the best recruits Montana has signed over the last three years.
Though he is young, Cobb is well respected throughout the West Coast as a recruiter and a coach. He's turned down multiple jobs to stay at Montana. He's a DeCuire protege for sure and has been the hardest working coach during his time here.
If Montana wants to continue the momentum this program has built since May 2014 (say whatever you want about the 16-16 record, it hasn't affected the internal maneuvers DeCuire has made, nor has it impacted the program's reputation with West Coast AAU and high school coaches) Cobb should be the guy UM hires if DeCuire takes the job at Cal

Completely agree with you, regarding Cobb. To me, he just seems to have that undefined "IT" factor. I feel he will be dynamic head coach. It surely would suck to lose out on him.

Mousegriz said:
Interesting that even before he was head coach here he was strongly considered for the Cal position. But now "doesn't have the resume"??

Bring back Blaine! And The Zoo! And Fat Dad! And Mega Mouth!

In my opinion, he does not "YET" have the resume. To me, that resume should include consistently being the best in your conference, and multiple NCCAA Tournament experiences. Right now, his resume says, he is conference contender level coach. Meaning, consistently in top half of a conference. Unfortunately, so far, his teams have fallen short of winning the Conference Tournament, and a big ZERO for NCAA Tournament appearances.

I question to what extent the Cal backers and decision makers will hold that against him. Then again, being an assistant under Montgomery helps him a lot, and in a sense helps balance the scale. We shall see. For the record, I feel DeCuire is a dynamic coach, that has the potential to consistently having a top 25 program, and be considered among the best programs every year. However, time is not working for him yet. He is just now getting all his own players in place at Montana. The 2017/18 season will be huge measuring stick year for the GRIZ and DeCuire's career.

Sorry, I just don't see Cal being ready to take that kind of chance on a coach who has yet to prove his potential. If by chance Cal does take the chance, the AD better be prepared to make or break his own AD position. For DeCuire's sake, I hope he gets the job, and does well. :thumb:

Back