• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Big Dance -- GO Big Sky (UND)!

IdaGriz01

Debated with myself about whether or not to post this in a new thread, or use an existing one. I finally decided it did not really fit any place else.

Getting a #15 seed for UND is about what most people expected (and reasonably fair, all things considered). But having Arizona as the first round opponent could get ugly, since the Wildcats could, potentially, win the bracket (revenge against Gonzaga) and go to the final four. They’re that good.

But my real topic is the professed “outrage” by both Dick Vitale, Jay Bilas and others that Syracuse did not get a bid. Now I usually like Dickie V, even when I don’t agree with him … his enthusiasm about college BBall is just fun to watch. My feeling about Bilas … well, not so much.

As it happens, my “formula” did exactly as well as the famed Joe Lenardi, who had Syracuse as a #11 in a “first four” game against Providence. He gets paid for his opinions, of course, and spends a lot of time on it. I just pop in for a bit after the regular season and then spend maybe an hour or two “tweaking” the list as the conference tournament results come in.

My one miss was picking Cal over USC as a fourth team from the Pac-12. I might have picked USC -- they won more games overall and had a better RPI (#43 vs #55). However, Cal won more games in the post-season tournament and had a better BPI (#51 vs 61) and much better SOS (42 vs 73). Oh well, my formula does not try to delve into “good wins” or “bad losses” or any of that.

The tournament at-large bid system is known as a “zero-sum” game in classic game theory. To put this team in, you have to bump someone else. The outrage about Syracuse not getting a bid seems like (to this Westerner) a typical Eastern bias (Bilas without the “l” … get it?) Yes, Syracuse had an SOS midway between USC and Cal, and a better BPI. But their RPI was much worse (#85 versus 43 for USC and 55 for Cal). And Syracuse won just 18 games vs 21 for Cal and 24 for USC.

Syracuse was 2-4 in their last six regular season games and lost right away in the post-season tournament.

Cal was not so hot either, toward the end of their season, going 1-5 … but they then went 2-1 in the post-season.

USC (like Syracuse) went 2-4 in their final six games … but they then went 1-1 in the post-season.

Had I looked at the specific end-game for USC vs Cal, I might have picked the Trojans and had a 100% hit rate … but Syracuse was never in the running as far as I was concerned. Sorry Dick and Joe.

Great write. I love the math involved. I agree that if Syracuse got in would've been ridiculous. Next year Griz seed...13!

Bilas and Vitale both suck and are nothing but shrills for the power conferences.

That said, Zona by 28.

Any other Big Sky teams headed to post season tournaments? I don't expect UM to participate in any this year, but interested to see who winds up in the NIT, CIT, and CBI.

EverettGriz said:
Bilas and Vitale both suck and are nothing but shrills for the power conferences.

That said, Zona by 28.
Totally agree about Bilas, but Vitale is a bit better in that regard. By that I mean he sometimes remembers how it felt to be coach at the University of Detroit, one of the small-program "outsiders." So once in awhile, he'll go into a tirade about how hard it is for those teams to schedule quality opponents from the power conferences -- and thereby get some national recognition. But other than that, he is mostly about the big boys.

PeauxRouge said:
Any other Big Sky teams headed to post season tournaments? I don't expect UM to participate in any this year, but interested to see who winds up in the NIT, CIT, and CBI.
Near as I can tell at a quick scan, no one from the Big Sky is headed for the NIT. (But Syracuse is there ... What a surprise! :) )

Looks like Weber and Idaho are in the CIT, and EWU is in the CBI.

Somehow, Utah Valley, with a division one record of 11-15 ended up in the CBI tournament. Is it possible the Griz declined an invitation to one of the lesser (CBI and CIT) tournaments?

GrizWhiz said:
Somehow, Utah Valley, with a division one record of 11-15 ended up in the CBI tournament. Is it possible the Griz declined an invitation to one of the lesser (CBI and CIT) tournaments?
I saw that UV was in that tourney, but I did not know their record was so bad. Does make you wonder.

Hope they beat the pants of Wyo. I think the CBI is all about being able to afford it. If you are even a remotely decent team and can afford it, you can go. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that was the gist of it.

GrizWhiz said:
9:07 left in the game, Utah Valley (15-16)* leads at Ga Southern (18-14), 60-42.

* Obviously some non-D1 opponents in there.

Final, Arizona 100 - NO DAKS 82
NO DAKS actually looked pretty good at the beginning of the second half, as they closed the gap to seven points. Then, Arizona went on a 10 to 0 run and that was all she wrote for NO DAKS.

LivingstonNative said:
Final, Arizona 100 - NO DAKS 82
NO DAKS actually looked pretty good at the beginning of the second half, as they closed the gap to seven points. Then, Arizona went on a 10 to 0 run and that was all she wrote for NO DAKS.

They have 2 bigs who are juniors that played well against Arizona. It looks to me that UND will be a contender in the conference next season too.

Back