• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why a post-season tournament anyway?

citygriz

I mean, it's gratifying this year that the team with the best regular-season record also won the tournament. But why should it be that a team that plays the best over three months can suddenly go bad for 40 minutes, or lose it all on one or two bad shots down the stretch with no recourse in this crappy one-and-done conference?

Answer: Money! The tournament is designed to be a money-maker for the conference in gate receipts and TV revenue. That's what these tournaments are all about--bucks. And that is true for the Big East, ACC and Pac 12.

But the Big Sky?

Show me the money! I don't see it in the sparse attendance. I don't see it in money flowing in from... ESPNU. Do the Reno Convention people guarantee us money?

Show me the money. Or explain why we should hold this sparsely-attended, out-of-the-way, under-exposed tournament in the first place. Cause right now, I just don't get it.

...all conferences pick a glam town...
...reno was the glam of last resort...
...great question..why play it at all...

... :wtf:...***

***...substitute "why" for "what"...

citay said:
I mean, it's gratifying this year that the team with the best regular-season record also won the tournament. But why should it be that a team that plays the best over three months can suddenly go bad for 40 minutes, or lose it all on one or two bad shots down the stretch with no recourse in this crappy one-and-done conference?

Answer: Money! The tournament is designed to be a money-maker for the conference in gate receipts and TV revenue. That's what these tournaments are all about--bucks. And that is true for the Big East, ACC and Pac 12.

But the Big Sky?

Show me the money! I don't see it in the sparse attendance. I don't see it in money flowing in from... ESPNU. Do the Reno Convention people guarantee us money?

Show me the money. Or explain why we should hold this sparsely-attended, out-of-the-way, under-exposed tournament in the first place. Cause right now, I just don't get it.

Agreed 100%.

I think that it's kinda embarrassing for the championship game that there are far more empty seats than "fans."

It is what the participating members of the the Conference have directed the Conference to do. So the Conference is sponsoring a tournament that is both minimizing the cost for each member and the cost of conducting the tournament.

HelenaHandBasket said:
It is what the participating members of the the Conference have directed the Conference to do. So the Conference is sponsoring a tournament that is both minimizing the cost for each member and the cost of conducting the tournament.

You get what you pay for. The current tournament is an embarrassment to the conference. I prefer the old format. If the regular season champion is not awarded with hosting the tournament, then at the very least, reward them with byes through to the semi finals or even the finals. There should also be a home attendance factor into the equation for teams to be eligible for the conference tournament, if a team finishes below .500 in conference play.

Then again, I am a firm believer, that smaller conferences should do their best to make sure the best team in the conference represents in the NCAA tournament. NCAA tournament wins are big money for small conferences and their respected teams.

As for this season, congrats to UND for winning the conference tournament. I hope they do represent well. Personally, after the GRIZ lost out, I was wanting Weber State to win it.

Ivy League held its first ever conference championship and only the top four teams qualify.
I don't really care for the participation ribbon tourney we have now. Need to protect the best teams and get one of them to the dance.

Then again, I am a firm believer, that smaller conferences should do their best to make sure the best team in the conference represents in the NCAA tournament. NCAA tournament wins are big money for small conferences and their respected teams.

THIS!

But then, the bsc has a long, long history of decision-making that is at odds with what's best for the conference and the conference's top teams (completely the opposite of what is done by a normal, rational conference leadership team). We shouldn't expect anything different when it comes to their tournament.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Most of the poorest attended tournaments are in the West...ask yourself why.
None could have been as poorly attended as last night's Big Sky game. There could not have been 400 people there (excluding players, cheerleaders and band members.) It was pathetic and loooked pathetic on ESPN. I have attended Griz silver and maroon scrimmages that were much better attended.

GrizWhiz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
None could have been as poorly attended as last night's Big Sky game. There could not have been 400 people there (excluding players, cheerleaders and band members.) It was pathetic and loooked pathetic on ESPN. I have attended Griz silver and maroon scrimmages that were much better attended.

Seems you didn't answer the question, just bitched about it.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizWhiz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Seems you didn't answer the question, just bitched about it.
And you just bitched about me bitching :thumb: Reason's-Big Sky is a minor chow ass conference with only a few programs that have real fan support. Additionally, the tournament was held in a location in which the residents have zero interest in Big Sky basketball. As for the other western tournaments, I don't have enough info to put forth a reason for poor attendance. I think many of the reasons have all ready been put forth in this and other threads. There is no doubt in my mind that the Big Sky should return to the prior arrangement where the regular season winner hosts at least the semi-finals and finals.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Well, there are lot more things to do, the weather for most of the West is better, and football rules there and in the South. There are more schools in the East and Midwest, and kids play more basketball than football. And, it is cheaper to put up some baskets than build indoor facilities...

I really did think Idaho would win the tournament but if UM beat IU then they would go on. I watched the first part of the championship game and it was not a well played game. For their reward, ND gets to play Arizona....fun..

GrizLA said:
I really did think Idaho would win the tournament but if UM beat IU then they would go on. I watched the first part of the championship game and it was not a well played game. For their reward, ND gets to play Arizona....fun..
Same game? Thought the weebs came out on fire, looked good for the most part.

GrizLA said:

Thanks to S. Dakota St. sneaking in, Gonzaguh gets the Rabbits instead of the Fightin Hawks.

Back