• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

reno

fanofzoo

The crowds are yuge, unbelievable. What a show!
Take away the two men's teams watching last night and you are left with the ushers. :shock:

It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like in Billings for the NAIA championship tournament. Could be a good gauge if they were to bid on the Big Sky tournament again. With no one showing up at the games in Reno the league office may look at more than just recreation opportunities and tune into butts in the seats.

putter said:
It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like in Billings for the NAIA championship tournament. Could be a good gauge if they were to bid on the Big Sky tournament again. With no one showing up at the games in Reno the league office may look at more than just recreation opportunities and tune into butts in the seats.

Well, the issue is housing for the athletes, the coaches, the families, the fans, and whatever media will be there. Is Billings up to that? I haven't been there for years, so it must have become quite the city. But, the Dakota school leaving sorta puts Billings on the edge of the territory, so to speak. Still, the attendance would be better, I'm sure.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Billings will never be a real option for the BSC tourney.

Nowhere in Montana or Utah will be. To much of a home court for the schools that actually draw fans to the Big Sky.

SACCAT66 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Nowhere in Montana or Utah will be. To much of a home court for the schools that actually draw fans to the Big Sky.

Billings is like another state if you are in Missoula, Butte, or Kalispell.

GrizLA said:
putter said:

Well, the issue is housing for the athletes, the coaches, the families, the fans, and whatever media will be there. Is Billings up to that? I haven't been there for years, so it must have become quite the city. But, the Dakota school leaving sorta puts Billings on the edge of the territory, so to speak. Still, the attendance would be better, I'm sure.
Billings has successfully hosted conferences/events much larger than the Big Sky Conference tournaments. It's not the perfect city, but certainly capable of hosting this basketball tournament. Not a sporting event, but the 2016 Goldwing motorcycle rally involved approximately 10,000 tourists; a similar BMW rally in July 2016 attracted 7,500 riders to Billings.

Well seriously: who in their right mind (and here I'm allowing a great deal of latitude to the bsc leadership) believed this "experiment" would work? Let's see....let's host in a state where we have zero member schools, in a town with it's own college basketball team, a thousand miles away from most of our schools!! Yeah! Winner!!

EverettGriz said:
Well seriously: who in their right mind (and here I'm allowing a great deal of latitude to the bsc leadership) believed this "experiment" would work? Let's see....let's host in a state where we have zero member schools, in a town with it's own college basketball team, a thousand miles away from most of our schools!! Yeah! Winner!!

Just sterling logic and planning by such gifted minds! :lol:

Got to get rid of the participation ribbons also, if your not good enough to be in the top 6 then play harder during the season.

There I just solved half of your problem.

fanofzoo said:
Got to get rid of the participation ribbons also, if your not good enough to be in the top 6 then play harder during the season.

I totally agree ... in principle. In the SEC, Missouri is seeded #14, having gone 2-16 in conference and 7-23 overall. I mean, C'MON!

On the other hand, we just had #11 SUU (3-15 in conference) knock off #6 MSU (11-7) in Reno. Did the T-Bird deserve to be there? Maybe not, but it resulted in arguably the best BBall game of the day. (Which hardly anyone saw because it was nowhere on TV and played in the middle of the night :lol: .)

...tuesday night tough deal...
...play at the higher seeds house...
...then use some technology from 1908...
...one team on a bus..the other on a plane...

... :shock: ...

The games have been good so far. I've also enjoyed the high quality of the Eversport streams. And... have noticed the less than huge crowds. But I've beaten that dead horse too many times already.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bhein3/status/839324913957687296[/tweet]

EverettGriz said:

spot on!

and what exactly is wrong with rewarding the best team in the conference with home court during the tourney again?

we do very dumb things in this conference sometimes.... :?

grizzlyjournal said:
The games have been good so far. I've also enjoyed the high quality of the Eversport streams. And... have noticed the less than huge crowds. But I've beaten that dead horse too many times already.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bhein3/status/839324913957687296[/tweet]

Absolutely right Journal but I will continue the drum beat of opposition to the idea of reno.

:dead:

GrizLA said:
SACCAT66 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Billings is like another state if you are in Missoula, Butte, or Kalispell.

No. It's different, but it's Montana.

Billings would be a horrible place to host the tourney.

I'd look into San Diego, Phoenix, Vegas.. Somewhere warm with many flight options.

fanofzoo said:

I don't understand this theory. I thought the thing everybody liked about March was how unpredictable it was and how it gave everybody a chance. In all reality, 16 seeds don't belong in the NCAA tournament, they're nowhere nearly talented as the teams they'd have to play. But isn't it part of the magic that anything can happen and everybody invited has a chance? I think that's the same with the BSC

grizband said:
GrizLA said:
putter said:

Billings has successfully hosted conferences/events much larger than the Big Sky Conference tournaments. It's not the perfect city, but certainly capable of hosting this basketball tournament. Not a sporting event, but the 2016 Goldwing motorcycle rally involved approximately 10,000 tourists; a similar BMW rally in July 2016 attracted 7,500 riders to Billings.

36 teams will show up for the national NAIA women's tourney in Billings....it can handle 22 teams for the Big Sky. And don't laugh about Butte. Well located......pretty cool little arena (Civic Center)...and they serve pasties and gravy at the concessions. What more could you ask for?

kyle_sample said:
fanofzoo said:

I don't understand this theory. I thought the thing everybody liked about March was how unpredictable it was and how it gave everybody a chance. In all reality, 16 seeds don't belong in the NCAA tournament, they're nowhere nearly talented as the teams they'd have to play. But isn't it part of the magic that anything can happen and everybody invited has a chance? I think that's the same with the BSC

Yes, very true, Kyle. But in some way, shape or form, those 16 seeds did something to earn the right to Dance. What did NAU or SUU do to deserve the right to play in the BSC tournament?

And the BSC leadership is so proud of stating that every student-athlete in BB deserves the "championship experience". If this is true, and they care about the student-athlete rather than a money-grab, why do the other sports not offer a tournament to which all teams are invited?

Mousegriz said:
grizband said:
GrizLA said:
putter said:

36 teams will show up for the national NAIA women's tourney in Billings....it can handle 22 teams for the Big Sky. And don't laugh about Butte. Well located......pretty cool little arena (Civic Center)...and they serve pasties and gravy at the concessions. What more could you ask for?

....32 teams for the NAIA

Back