• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ladies in Reno

GrizLA

For the first time this year, since it was the tournament, I thought I'd look into the Griz game. Well, the best I can say is the announcer is excellent, and the women are trying to play but simply are not good. Too bad, UM could not recruit a couple of the high school girls in the Orangeburg, SC area. They would dominate the Big Sky if this is a sample. I know they try hard, but...........................

HelenaHandBasket said:
They are such a terrible shooting team.
ISU has not scored in over 7 minutes and the LG have not quite grabbed the concept that you cannot score unless you shoot....terrible game but so bad it is interesting to watch.

Hopefully the crowds pick up more for the other rounds - gotta be maybe a maximum of 200 people there (including both teams!). Doesn't seem very smart to have a game from 6-8 and then from 7-9 - on weekday. Dunno what the other options could be... but was this the best they could do? Really?

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Hopefully the crowds pick up more for the other rounds - gotta be maybe a maximum of 200 people there (including both teams!). Doesn't seem very smart to have a game from 6-8 and then from 7-9 - on weekday. Dunno what the other options could be... but was this the best they could do? Really?

When you are trying to run 2 tournaments consisting of 23 teams in one facility...

HelenaHandBasket said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

When you are trying to run 2 tournaments consisting of 23 teams in one facility...
They've already got the kids outta school and there's barely any interest in the early rounds, so why not have them earlier in the day (no men's games today...at least I think)?

MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Well, face it. UM, ISU and the other women basketball teams are nearly equal in quality to top high schools teams in the South and SoCal. So, the conference is doing the best thing by letting the bottom teams open it up because this is a near week long conference event. I am surprised anyone is there. ISU has gone 8+ minutes without a field goal and UM is still being badly beaten.

Maybe the BSC should limit its tournament to the top four men and women's teams with the season champ given a bye.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

They've already got the kids outta school and there's barely any interest in the early rounds, so why not have them earlier in the day (no men's games today...at least I think)?

There were 4 womens games, 3 men tomorrow, 4 women on Wed, 4 men on Thurs, men/women SF on Fri, men/women championships on Sat

GrizLA said:
Maybe the BSC should limit its tournament to the top four men and women's teams with the season champ given a bye.

Won't happen, it is the days of being all-inclusive and participation ribbons.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

Economics will catch up sooner than we think. It is already affecting some colleges.

HelenaHandBasket said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

There were 4 womens games, 3 men tomorrow, 4 women on Wed, 4 men on Thurs, men/women SF on Fri, men/women championships on Sat
Ah. My bad. I didn't realize there were 2 earlier games in addition to the evening games.

GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

Economics will catch up sooner than we think. It is already affecting some colleges.

Reason they went to the current format was because of the expense to arrange a tournament and get teams to the site on 7-10 days notice.

If I were in Mont or Cal, I think I would go to Reno, a fun place without all the Vegas crowds and hustlers, and take in a good tourney round. But, having women's teams as bad as Montana, Idaho State, and the rest of the bottom, or the bottom of the men's league, is not an real inducement to spend four, even 3 days watching mediocrity. With one more year to go in Reno, I think all of this will change for the better after that.

To counter some of the comments earlier in this thread... this is a young team with talent. They are not a bad team, and I believe they'll prove it next year. They shot poorly tonight (27%) but a lot were good shots that just didn't fall. I saw their win over Idaho State last Friday, when they won by 17. In that game they made their shots (shot 44%)

Beyond that, tonight the Griz suffered their second broken nose to Idaho State this season.

The refs were -- simply put -- pretty much the norm for the Big Sky. Heh. [tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/838985832258142208[/tweet]

journal, they shot poorly all season. They were dead last in shooting and scoring in the conference. We will see how much better they shoot next season, but I would just hope for average.

[/quote]
GrizLA said:
For the first time this year, since it was the tournament, I thought I'd look into the Griz game. Well, the best I can say is the announcer is excellent, and the women are trying to play but simply are not good. Too bad, UM could not recruit a couple of the high school girls in the Orangeburg, SC area. They would dominate the Big Sky if this is a sample. I know they try hard, but...........................

Typical shallow idiocy. Lady Lala looks in on one game and gives us his usual obtuse analysis, complete with an undertone of silent sobbing. These are basically our very young subs playing, and this game notwithstanding, their development had been remarkable, overall. A lot of potential just developing and with the front line returning next year, they may well take the conference.

HelenaHandBasket said:
journal, they shot poorly all season. They were dead last in shooting and scoring in the conference. We will see how much better they shoot next season, but I would just hope for average.

Not to mention they were without two returning starters (including their best player) for the entire season. Things look much better next season.

HelenaHandBasket said:

You're correct. There's no guarantee at this point that their shooting will improve into the mid 40s (where a team needs to shoot to be a winner).

Nonetheless, I saw dramatic improvement in team floor play, defense and rebounding over the last 8-10 games. I believe they'll be competitive in the Big Sky next season. They were primarily a freshman team that had to play tough games as they learned how to play D1 ball. I believe they did pretty well and cite their win over Idaho State last Friday as proof. If they start next season using that game as a compass, I believe they'll be a top 4 Big Sky Conf. team next year.

grizzlyjournal said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You're correct. There's no guarantee at this point that their shooting will improve into the mid 40s (where a team needs to shoot to be a winner).

Nonetheless, I saw dramatic improvement in team floor play, defense and rebounding over the last 8-10 games. I believe they'll be competitive in the Big Sky next season. They were primarily a freshman team that had to play tough games as they learned how to play D1 ball. I believe they did pretty well and cite their win over Idaho State last Friday as proof. If they start next season using that game as a compass, I believe they'll be a top 4 Big Sky Conf. team next year.

I admire your optimism, but that is a low bar, indeed. This team was simply not good, judging from their record and this game. That they won as many games as they did, shows a lot of heart but......

Back