• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky tourney men's games and info

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
GREAT WIDE OPEN: Big Sky men's tournament anybody’s to win
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-mens-tourney-wide-open/
Until I saw the bracket, I had completely forgotten about Northern Colorado's self-imposed post-season ban. Not that they had a great year, but they were at least better than NAU, ISU and SUU ;)

With even the top seed having 4 conference losses, it's pretty clear that "on any given night," just about any team can beat any other team. Definitely a wide-open tournament. But with its crappy strength rankings, the Big Sky winner will still most likely be looking at a play-in game. Sigh.

for those of you who say that the BSC champ will play in the play -in game, I think you are incorrect...first, there are 3-5 other conferences that are below the BSC, believe it or not..the SWAC ,Wac, Southland,Meac, Northeast, are all lower than BSC..plus remember that any lower conference that has an upset winner , sometimes even below 500 winning %, can happen and usually does. Example in the Horizon conf both the #1 & #2 were both beaten in early rounds ( Valpo &Oakland) , plus one play -in game is for the 11 vs 11 seeds, so the BSC champ may get a 16 seed but maybe a 15, but no play in game ....still dancing can mean many $$$$ and pride, can't win it if you aren't in it! Go Griz !

rainbear14 said:
for those of you who say that the BSC champ will play in the play -in game, I think you are incorrect...first, there are 3-5 other conferences that are below the BSC, believe it or not..the SWAC ,Wac, Southland,Meac, Northeast, are all lower than BSC..plus remember that any lower conference that has an upset winner , sometimes even below 500 winning %, can happen and usually does. Example in the Horizon conf both the #1 & #2 were both beaten in early rounds ( Valpo &Oakland) , plus one play -in game is for the 11 vs 11 seeds, so the BSC champ may get a 16 seed but maybe a 15, but no play in game ....still dancing can mean many $$$$ and pride, can't win it if you aren't in it! Go Griz !

I think the BigSky winner will, indeed, be in the play off game, but if they win that, will be a 15 seed. I also think if UM gets past Idaho (a big IF), they will win the tourney. This is going to be fun, for a while.

play-in games are for predetermined seeds...one is for a 16 seed and the other is for an 11 seed...they are to represent the last weakest conf champions (the two for 16 seed) and then the last 2 at large selections (for 11 seed).

GrizLA said:
rainbear14 said:

I think the BigSky winner will, indeed, be in the play off game, but if they win that, will be a 15 seed. I also think if UM gets past Idaho (a big IF), they will win the tourney. This is going to be fun, for a while.

:thumb:

...griz win the tournament...
...20 win season..14 seed..not out of the question...
...maybe just maybe that tough preseason schedule pays off...

... :cool: ...

zengriz said:
...griz win the tournament...
...20 win season..14 seed..not out of the question...
...maybe just maybe that tough preseason schedule pays off...

It is that magic time of year and who knows which way the ball bounces and besides the GRIZ are on a roll.

I honestly really like the GRIZ side of the bracket. We matchup with UND well, providing both teams win. The other side of the bracket is a crap shoot. Despite their recent struggles, Weber State always has my respect. EWU is damn good too. I'd love to see the GRIZ meet either of these teams in the Championship. Fortunately, the GRIZ looked dramatically improved to close out the regular season with a tough road sweep of Weber State and ISU.

Oguine and Rorie are always threats and a tough combo. However, Pridgett is really showing his overall game of late. Moorehead is playing much more confident, shooting better, and stepped up defensively.

The key for the GRIZ will be tough defense, rebounding, and consistent 3 point shooting. Also the GRIZ likely have the most depth in a long tournament, and have proven they can win conference road games (3 weekend road sweeps in conference play this season). I really like how this shapes up for the GRIZ, going into the tournament.

rainbear14 said:

Eastern would have 24 wins, UND 22 if they win the tourney, neither would be in a play in game. I also can't see the griz or Weber in a play in game just for name recognition alone. Anyone else could be tho...

mtgrizrule said:
I honestly really like the GRIZ side of the bracket. We matchup with UND well, providing both teams win. The other side of the bracket is a crap shoot. Despite their recent struggles, Weber State always has my respect. EWU is damn good too. I'd love to see the GRIZ meet either of these teams in the Championship. Fortunately, the GRIZ looked dramatically improved to close out the regular season with a tough road sweep of Weber State and ISU.

Oguine and Rorie are always threats and a tough combo. However, Pridgett is really showing his overall game of late. Moorehead is playing much more confident, shooting better, and stepped up defensively.

The key for the GRIZ will be tough defense, rebounding, and consistent 3 point shooting. Also the GRIZ likely have the most depth in a long tournament, and have proven they can win conference road games (3 weekend road sweeps in conference play this season). I really like how this shapes up for the GRIZ, going into the tournament.

+1

Well said.

mtgrizrule said:
Pridgett is really showing his overall game of late

...if you've seen this kid play...
...got to like what you see..from a frosh...
...serious hop..ability to go to/play above the rim...

GrizLA said:
I think the BigSky winner will, indeed, be in the play off game, but if they win that, will be a 15 seed.

You do realize that is impossible, since as rainbear has noted, the winners of the play-in games are either a 16 or 11 seed.

Bracketology has North Dakota winning the Tourney (they are the #1 seed) and playing in the 16 seed play-in game to see who faces Kansas. I am not saying this is what will happen (I think MSU will win the tourney of course...Well EWU actually) it is just what they are saying. I honestly don't think the winner, no matter who it is, will be higher than a 16 seed....But hope I am wrong.

rainbear14 said:
play-in games are for predetermined seeds...one is for a 16 seed and the other is for an 11 seed...they are to represent the last weakest conf champions (the two for 16 seed) and then the last 2 at large selections (for 11 seed).
Yeah, I keep forgetting this ... mainly because, I suppose, I do now see how it can be considered fair for an 11-seed (basically the lowest "mediocre" strength) to have to to play an extra game. As far as I'm concerned, that "punishment" should be reserved for sets of the very weakest (i.e. 15 and 16-seed) teams, no matter what conference they come from.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:
I think the BigSky winner will, indeed, be in the play off game, but if they win that, will be a 15 seed.

You do realize that is impossible, since as rainbear has noted, the winners of the play-in games are either a 16 or 11 seed.
like yourself, I did not know that until Rainbear posted that. interesting

GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

I actually did know, but gave Rainbear credit for being first to post.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

I thought everyone knew this. How did anyone think different. The bracket is set on Sunday and you fill it out on Monday....BEFORE the play- in games are even played

SACCAT66 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I thought everyone knew this. How did anyone think different. The bracket is set on Sunday and you fill it out on Monday....BEFORE the play- in games are even played

I know it now. Thanks. But, even though you are right, aren't some of the Pac 12 tourney games on Sunday and others? I personally don't care where the Griz are in it. UM needs the $$.

Back