• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New commit - Freddy Brown III

twentythreeOh4 said:
Good article on Freddy. A lot to like about this kid.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-grizzlies-get-commitment-from-washington-sharpshooter-freddy-brown-iii/article_7f669a06-a479-5335-a050-1cb5be73f05c.html

Nice article. Lots of UM connections.

"“They’ve been strong academically on me. I wanted to go to a school and not just rely on a basketball scholarship,” Brown said, adding that he’s coming to Montana on an academic scholarship. “Being able to get accepted into a university was one of the best things I’ve done, knowing all your hard work in the classroom paid off.”

MtTarheel said:
So if he's coming on an academic scholarship does that mean we have 1 more scholarship available?

My question as well. There are strict restrictions which can vary from sport to sport on when an academic scholarship doesn’t count toward athletic scholarship totals. I’m speculating if they are calling it an academic scholarship, he qualified (high enough GPA, test scores, went through the scholarship application process, etc) - which would be awesome. Like an extra scholarship then.

Really like what I am reading. Smart kid and can shoot. Exactly what we need. This next season can't get hear soon enough!

From what I understand Freddy is a walk on. They are still looking for one more. Have had a lot of recruits in the last week or so. Also heard they are Recruiting Shawn Kemp's son Jamon. 2019 6'7 3 star small forward out of the Seattle area. Having Downtown Freddy Brown and Shawn Kemp 2.0 on the team wouldn't hurt!

If they can find 1 big that is ready to play real minutes this year this offseason would have to be considered a wild success.
I watched 1 highlight video of Jamon when his name popped up a while back on here. Coup of the century if we land that kid.

Love the Freddy Brown signing. Wonderful kid with a great name who possibly fills a huge need for us as a long-range shooter.

Once again the staff has pulled off a stunning surprise. In what I believe is turning out to be a stellar class, there is not one recruit who was on our radar screen--not Payton's, not Mslacat's, not Verbal Commits. Even the Mack Anderson signing was a surprise, both because it came so early, and because we got him over his hometown Cats.

As to Brown, one mystery. I do not see him on any of the recruiting data bases--Rivals, Scout, ESPN. Given the numbers he put up as a senior, and the reputation of his school, this surprises me a bit.

citay said:
Love the Freddy Brown signing. Wonderful kid with a great name who possibly fills a huge need for us as a long-range shooter.

Once again the staff has pulled off a stunning surprise. In what I believe is turning out to be a stellar class, there is not one recruit who was on our radar screen--not Payton's, not Mslacat's, not Verbal Commits. Even the Mack Anderson signing was a surprise, both because it came so early, and because we got him over his hometown Cats.

As to Brown, one mystery. I do not see him on any of the recruiting data bases--Rivals, Scout, ESPN. Given the numbers he put up as a senior, and the reputation of his school, this surprises me a bit.
Yeah the only reason for that could be that he wasn’t a serious D1 recruit. If you get offered by Oregon State, Washington and BYU, you are going to be on recruiting sites. I’m not bashing him at all but those other interested schools were probably trying to go the route we went, get him to walk on since he is a great student and can be on academic aid. We might have a diamond in the rough. Love it.

citay said:

Did I read he average 28 points per game his senior year? That's legit anywhere

Cool article on Freddy Brown III from GoGriz:
https://gogriz.com/news/2018/8/16/mens-basketball-freddy-brown-iii-already-at-home-in-missoula.aspx

A Snippet:
Brown has known DeCuire since birth, but the family relationship dates back even further.

DeCuire was first introduced to the Brown family when he was a freshman in high school. He became close with Brown's father, a high school teammate of his, and some of Brown's uncles – including late Griz legend Delvon Anderson.

"Freddy's like family," DeCuire said. "That family has been part of the majority of my life, through the ups and downs."

Brown reciprocated the feeling.

"I've always had a relationship with Coach Trav. He's like an uncle to me. Wherever Coach Trav was, I knew I wanted to go."

:clap: :clap: Thanks for the link, MissoulaMarinerFan! An excellent article on a young man with a "family" connection. A true "student" athlete who comes from a family with an emphasis on education (an understatement, of sorts!). Incredible basketball bloodlines... I wish Freddy a great season and career as a Griz.

Also, a huge tip-of-the hat to UM Sports communications assistant Nic Hallisey, who (I assume) wrote this profile. In just his second year at GoGriz, Nic has done a great job covering men's hoops, women's volleyball and Track & Field. GoGriz already has four hoops stories, in August alone... and we're getting to see the makeup of this team well before school (much less practice) starts.

grizzlyjournal said:
:clap: :clap: Thanks for the link, MissoulaMarinerFan! An excellent article on a young man with a "family" connection. A true "student" athlete who comes from a family with an emphasis on education (an understatement, of sorts!). Incredible basketball bloodlines... I wish Freddy a great season and career as a Griz.

Also, a huge tip-of-the hat to UM Sports communications assistant Nic Hallisey, who (I assume) wrote this profile. In just his second year at GoGriz, Nic has done a great job covering men's hoops, women's volleyball and Track & Field. GoGriz already has four hoops stories, in August alone... and we're getting to see the makeup of this team well before school (much less practice) starts.

Wasn't it also young Mr. Hallisey who wrote that great Twitter account of the Montana-UCLA game, a feat that made it into the national press? That was big-time, a harbinger of what's ahead for his career, in my opinion.

One other thought, lingering in the deepest most hopeful part of my heart. Is it possible, given the type of person Travis is, and the deep connections he has to several of his players, that those connections might keep him at Montana? Or at least keep him away from any number of second-rate jobs that will certainly open up before that Big Plum job becomes available? Just a wishin' and a hopin'.

dayday said:
AZGrizFan said:
dayday said:
Really impressive to get this kid as a walk on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't he the one who's on academic scholly?

Yep smart kid but still a walk on because not an athletic scholarship.

Yeah, just wanted to make sure he wasn’t “at risk” as a walk on for being offered money by somebody else...

His senior year stat line is ridiculous. How did he not garner more attention? That we have Freddy at UM is a testament to the type of relationship that DeCuire can build with recruits.

AZGrizFan said:
dayday said:
AZGrizFan said:
dayday said:
Really impressive to get this kid as a walk on too.

Isn't he the one who's on academic scholly?

Yep smart kid but still a walk on because not an athletic scholarship.

Yeah, just wanted to make sure he wasn’t “at risk” as a walk on for being offered money by somebody else...

He might have already started class here over the summer. I know that’s pretty typical. At that point, walk on or not still subject to transfer rules.

Triwest said:
OldtiredGRiz said:
He must be related to Downtown Freddy Brown, the bomb-shooting guard for the Seattle Sonics in the late 70's. Good bloodlines. Welcome!

grandson

Awesome pick up, we can always use consistent shooters.
I was a big Downtown fan. Love watching him, Gus, Dennis Jack, Paul etc playing together.

Back