• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Stats

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
HookedonGriz said:
Griz hoops is dominating the Big Sky stats so far:

#BigSkyMBB Rankings:

1️⃣ Scoring Offense
1️⃣ Scoring Margin
1️⃣ Field-Goal Defense
1️⃣ Rebounding
1️⃣ 3-Point %
1️⃣ Assists
1️⃣ Steals

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/949332385388118017?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3[/tweet]

UM is looking pretty sharp. Do ya think the 0-9 conference record of your opponents might have something to do with those shiny stats?

To be honest, when you lead the league in pretty much every single important statistical category I don't really care how it happens. It's pretty damn incredible regardless of how it came to be.

Yep. Playing the “well look at the combined record” card is bullshit.

Actually, the combined record now is 0-12. So what makes this comparison "bullshit"? Your team has played 3/4 weak opponents. 0-12 is a fact, not some bullshit opinion.

GoldenEagle said:
... Actually, the combined record now is 0-12. So what makes this comparison "bullshit"? Your team has played 3/4 weak opponents. 0-12 is a fact, not some bullshit opinion.
Yes, it is a fact. It is also a fact that the Griz won by 18, 30 and 30 ... with two of the games being on the road. That's what good teams are supposed to do against weak opponents.

GoldenEagle said:
I think No. Colorado had a rough night, finishing a tough road trip after having played the last three games against the top teams in the conference. For some reason the No. Colorado coach let your forward dominate the game instead of controlling him and making UM first beat them from the perimeter as UM doesn’t shoot consistently good from the perimeter. They were still in it late in the game. I seems like UM just hung on at the end.

So the Griz don't get any credit for NCU's tough night? You surmise that NCU's coach "let" Akoh go off for 34 points? That sounds like getting out-coached.

Reality is that NCU was double and triple teaming Akoh most of the night, he was getting mauled under the basket, but still played a dominant game. Travis Decuire knew that NCU would play small, and that Akoh would be key to a win. He stated that in Thursday's post game show. It was no secret, but NCU still had no answer for him.

If you watched the game, and played the game, as you stated...What exactly would have been your answer for Akoh?

Northern Colorado is damn good team. After being down by 21, they made a run and the Griz responded for the win, while leading the score almost the entire game. That's what good teams do. I'm sure if the Eagles beat NCU in a similar fashion, you'll be pumping your chest.

Northern Colorado is damn good team.

GS should know that. After all NCU absolutely keeeerushed his ewoooers, leading by 19 with less than 2:00 to play, in a game which wasn't anywhere near that close.

Basketball statistical analysis is an improving (but not perfect) science.The best measures (KenPom and Sagarin in my book) get better as the season progresses. The cool thing about it all is that any team can prove the predictive wizards wrong on any given weekend. I love browsing the stats, but realize no statistical measure can ever be fully accurate. For instance: the best collection of stats STILL won't make a Griz win at the Sacramento State Hornet's Nest anything close to a sure thing.

Most important to me is to observe a team's "direction" as the season progresses. If that team shows statistical sign of game-by-game improvement, that's way more important than a numerical rank.

That's why I've recently become so interested lately in Erik Haslam's relatively new measure, Haslametrics. There's a good explanation on Haslam's site, but of note is that its major focus is time-weighted: recent games carry more impact.

In that regard, Haslam's metrics indicate that Montana is on a steady upward arc. That still doesn't guarantee a win this weekend, but does indicate the team is getting better each week... and is, in fact, turning into a pretty good team on a national scale.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/haslametrics/status/950254355625672704[/tweet]

grizzlyjournal said:
Basketball statistical analysis is an improving (but not perfect) science.The best measures (KenPom and Sagarin in my book) get better as the season progresses. The cool thing about it all is that any team can prove the predictive wizards wrong on any given weekend. I love browsing the stats, but realize no statistical measure can ever be fully accurate. For instance: the best collection of stats STILL won't make a Griz win at the Sacramento State Hornet's Nest anything close to a sure thing.

Most important to me is to observe a team's "direction" as the season progresses. If that team shows statistical sign of game-by-game improvement, that's way more important than a numerical rank.

That's why I've recently become so interested lately in Erik Haslam's relatively new measure, Haslametrics. There's a good explanation on Haslam's site, but of note is that its major focus is time-weighted: recent games carry more impact.

In that regard, Haslam's metrics indicate that Montana is on a steady upward arc. That still doesn't guarantee a win this weekend, but does indicate the team is getting better each week... and is, in fact, turning into a pretty good team on a national scale.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/haslametrics/status/950254355625672704[/tweet]

I saw something from Erik on Twitter referring to Montana's big move over the past few weeks. I honestly thought it was Kent's brother or family member referring to another website :lol: .

I always take the RPI standings with a grain of salt, but the Griz are trending with all the RPI sites I've seen. Its fun to see their efforts recognized. #63 On the Haslametrics site, #98 on Ken Pom and on top of the BSC in both. Pretty cool!

Thanks for sharing haslametrics.com. One more website I've got to check on a weekly basis!

GoldenEagle said:
HookedonGriz said:

#BigSkyMBB Rankings:

1️⃣ Scoring Offense
1️⃣ Scoring Margin
1️⃣ Field-Goal Defense
1️⃣ Rebounding
1️⃣ 3-Point %
1️⃣ Assists
1️⃣ Steals

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/949332385388118017?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3[/tweet]

UM is looking pretty sharp. Do ya think the 0-9 conference record of your opponents might have something to do with those shiny stats?

Yeah, ummm, no.

Update:

1️⃣ Scoring Offense
1️⃣ Scoring Margin
1️⃣ Field-Goal Defense
1️⃣ Rebounding
1️⃣ 3-Point %
1️⃣ Assists (3) - 14.3 per game
1️⃣ Steals

All the same, except assists now no. 3. In addition, FG%, no. 2. Rebounding margin, no. 2. Rebound defense, no. 2. Turnover margin, no. 2. Assists to turnovers, no. 2. Offensive rebounds %, no. 1. Offensive rebounds, no. 2. No. 11 in 3 pointers taken.

WINNING %. No. 1.

Rorie, Akoh, Oguine are top 11 in scoring. Akoh no. 2 in rebounding. Oguine no. 2 in FG%, 60.3%. Rorie, no. 2 in FT%, 96.3%. Oguine 2d in steals. Rorie 3d in 3-pt%. Rorie 2d in assist to TO ratio. No Griz in top 10 in minutes.

PlayerRep said:
Update:

1️⃣ Scoring Offense
1️⃣ Scoring Margin
1️⃣ Field-Goal Defense
1️⃣ Rebounding
1️⃣ 3-Point %
1️⃣ Steals

All the same, except assists now no. 3. In addition, FG%, no. 2. Rebounding margin, no. 2. Rebound defense, no. 2. Turnover margin, no. 2. Assists to turnovers, no. 2. Offensive rebounds %, no. 1. Offensive rebounds, no. 2. No. 11 in 3 pointers taken.

WINNING %. No. 1.

Rorie, Akoh, Oguine are top 11 in scoring. Akoh no. 2 in rebounding. Oguine no. 2 in FG%, 60.3%. Rorie, no. 2 in FT%, 96.3%. Oguine 2d in steals. Rorie 3d in 3-pt%. Rorie 2d in assist to TO ratio. No Griz in top 10 in minutes.

I think the stat that no Griz player is in the top 10 in minutes played may be the most significant. I've seen young players -- who have to carry their team w/long minutes -- wear down over the course of a tough season. An 8-man rotation is huge. That they can still rank in the top 10-15 of individual categories... with fewer minutes, says a lot.

grizzlyjournal said:
PlayerRep said:
Update:

1️⃣ Scoring Offense
1️⃣ Scoring Margin
1️⃣ Field-Goal Defense
1️⃣ Rebounding
1️⃣ 3-Point %
1️⃣ Steals

WINNING %. No. 1.

I think the stat that no Griz player is in the top 10 in minutes played may be the most significant. I've seen young players -- who have to carry their team w/long minutes -- wear down over the course of a tough season. An 8-man rotation is huge. That they can still rank in the top 10-15 of individual categories... with fewer minutes, says a lot.

You guys need to stop it. Golden shower is the only one with a clue about basketball on here! :roll:

GoldenEagle said:
HookedonGriz said:

#BigSkyMBB Rankings:

1️⃣ Scoring Offense
1️⃣ Scoring Margin
1️⃣ Field-Goal Defense
1️⃣ Rebounding
1️⃣ 3-Point %
1️⃣ Assists
1️⃣ Steals

You know, I’ve been giving this a great deal of thought recently, and yeah, I still gotta lean toward a rather definitive “no” here. Now if ewooo were to go on the nau/Suu trip and beat both those teams with shitty records by 20+, I may just have to reconsider.

Wait. What? They played those games this week?? Huh. I’ll have to check out the scores....

EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
HookedonGriz said:

#BigSkyMBB Rankings:

[emoji637] Scoring Offense
[emoji637] Scoring Margin
[emoji637] Field-Goal Defense
[emoji637] Rebounding
[emoji637] 3-Point %
[emoji637] Assists
[emoji637] Steals

You know, I’ve been giving this a great deal of thought recently, and yeah, I still gotta lean toward a rather definitive “no” here. Now if ewooo were to go on the nau/Suu trip and beat both those teams with shitty records by 20+, I may just have to reconsider.

Wait. What? They played those games this week?? Huh. I’ll have to check out the scores....
Cold blooded, EG...I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UM remains at or near the top of the most of the important team stats.

EWU and UM have played the exact same conference schedule, except EWU played Idaho instead of MSU, I believe.

Looks like that weak schedule argument fell by the wayside. And that coward seems to have disappeared, at least temporarily.

PlayerRep said:
UM remains at or near the top of the most of the important team stats.

EWU and UM have played the exact same conference schedule, except EWU played Idaho instead of MSU, I believe.

Looks like that weak schedule argument fell by the wayside. And that coward seems to have disappeared, at least temporarily.

Bus driver took a wrong turn at Kingman...ended up in Barstow and missed the 7AM Saturday shoot around. Those Russian kids on the EWU team had never experienced anything like it. Took forever for EWU to get it going in Cedar City. Then they ran out of gas in OT.

GoldenEagle said:
Sensitive group. Just an alternative explanation. I guess we will all see as the season progresses.

"Paging Golden Shower. Golden Shower, please pick up the white courtesy phone to explain how wrong you were. Again. Paging Golden Shower".

I look forward to the GRIZ road trip to the eags and Vandals.

Still lookin' forward to this?

Big Sky Conference page only has stats updated through Thursday's games, so I'll let them sort out rankings. However, here are a couple team statistics (conference games only) for Montana through 11 games.

Scoring Offense: 83.1 ppg
Scoring Defense: 67.4 ppg
Scoring Margin: +15.7
Field Goal PCT: .503
3-Point Field Goal Defense: .315
Rebound Offense: 36.9 rpg
Rebound Defense: 33.2 rpg
Assists: 13.1 apg
Steals: 8.6 spg

:lol:
EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
Sensitive group. Just an alternative explanation. I guess we will all see as the season progresses.

"Paging Golden Shower. Golden Shower, please pick up the white courtesy phone to explain how wrong you were. Again. Paging Golden Shower".

:lol: :lol:

GoldenEagle said:
EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:

Hahahahahah!!!

Where ya been the last two months, asshat?! LOL. Been pretty fucking quiet, shower.

A .500 team got a perfect storm, beat the GRIZ on a day they played their worst basketball of the year, had off days from their top five scorers and it STILL took shooting 57% to make it happen.

The Griz are 20-6, hadn't lost in two months, have a 1 1\2 game lead, have 3 of four at home, have five wins over teams the ewooooers have lost to, have an insurmountable lead over the ewoooers without the luxury of getting them in Missoula, and only lost due to one of those 100 year perfect storm games. So yeah, I kinda like where we're at.

Assuming the .500 ewoooooers even make it to the second day of the tourney, the GRIZ BY 24.

EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:

Hahahahahah!!!

Where ya been the last two months, asshat?! LOL. Been pretty f***[*] quiet, shower.

A .500 team got a perfect storm, beat the GRIZ on a day they played their worst basketball of the year, had off days from their top five scorers and it STILL took shooting 57% to make it happen.

The Griz are 20-6, hadn't lost in two months, have a 1 1\2 game lead, have 3 of four at home, have five wins over teams the ewooooers have lost to, have an insurmountable lead over the ewoooers without the luxury of getting them in Missoula, and only lost due to one of those 100 year perfect storm games. So yeah, I kinda like where we're at.

Assuming the .500 ewoooooers even make it to the second day of the tourney, the GRIZ BY 24.
You're just full of excuses. I said UM would lose to the EAGS and they did. "Perfect storm games" that's a joke.

No. What you said is that the GRIZ were winning because of their easy schedule. You know, that same schedule the ewooooers have lost half a dozen games to.

I will admit to being wrong on one point, however. I told you to enjoy the CIT. There is no WAY the ewooooers get invited to ANY post season play.

Back