• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So Ut

Buttegrizzle said:
The shoot around was at 7 am. Not 9, Seven (7) am. I know TDC made it work, but that definately is not when you prefer to be warming up for a ROAD game. The biggest factor is rest for the guys who played 30-40 minutes on Thursday. A regular 7 pm Thursday and 7 pm Saturday schedule is what SO UT will get everywhere they go on the road so how dID they get to dictate a 12:30 start? Maybe it was so the Griz can catch the last stagecoach out of town at sunset?

Good time to get up and moving and ready for your motors to be running by 12:30......SUU's guys probably stayed up playing video games until 2AM, stumbled to their shoot around at 9 or 10 and got their butts kicked right out of the gates at 12:30.

Let's let this one rest.....their will be some better "whines" about other things in the next few weeks.

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:
Mouse, curious about a few things. First, you realize the post was made prior to the game, correct? No I hadn't realize your post was made before the game. Second, if the argument is indeed petty, why are so many knowledgeable fans and coaches making it? Not sure...my assessment is weird game times are weird for both teams. Both teams have highly-conditioned 18 - 22 year old athletes that should easily adjust to 2 college basketball games within a 40 hour time period. Games with media timeouts each 4 minutes and plenty of other stoppages and rest periods. Road team has to take a bus for 5 of those 40 hours...the home team sits at home, or their dorm or wherever, and maybe doesn't eat as well, get their proper sleep or spends less time with game plan given less coach control during their 40 hour "break". Both teams get a shoot around on Friday and neither probably shows up that early for the 12PM game. A basketball game isn't a marathon. A highly exerting 2 hour stretch but with down lots of rest time in that 2 hour period. Finally, I’m curious why you feel SUU would schedule a noon start for a game which was attended by roughly 200 fans if not to gain a competitive advantage? I have no idea why SUU scheduled the game at this time, but as evidenced by the outcome, if for a competitive advantage, it sure didn't work. Yes, UM didn’t let it bother them (and frankly I believe TDC used it as motivation). But why in the world would the game scheduled at that time otherwise? See PR's posts.....lots of teams now scheduling back end of conference games in the afternoon. Many visiting teams might actually like getting done in the afternoon and getting back home on Saturday night vs. Sunday afternoon.

Interested in your thoughts on those questions.

One observation I've made watching both youth AAU morning games and HS Saturday morning elimination tourney games.....they are very unpredictable. It seems much more mental than physical...the team ready to get their motors going sooner has the advantage.

Another observation.....not to be taken as a dig against our coach.....coaches whine a lot in trying to protect their kids. They whine when the ladies sometimes get the preferred practice time, they've always whined about the tough NAU trip, they whine when they play back to back nights, they whine when they have a Thursday night game followed by a day off and bus trip, followed by an earlier than normal Saturday game....and they whine at refs on calls they know are correct quite a bit too.

Good post, especially last para. I agree completely.

Buttegrizzle said:
The shoot around was at 7 am. Not 9, Seven (7) am. I know TDC made it work, but that definately is not when you prefer to be warming up for a ROAD game. The biggest factor is rest for the guys who played 30-40 minutes on Thursday. A regular 7 pm Thursday and 7 pm Saturday schedule is what SO UT will get everywhere they go on the road so how dID they get to dictate a 12:30 start? Maybe it was so the Griz can catch the last stagecoach out of town at sunset?

There are no league rules on game times. The home team gets to set the game time, at least within reason. 12:30 is within reason. Every Sat. night game at other schools is not at 7pm. Jeez, UND is playing Sat. afternoon in Bozeman. That's already been posted twice in this thread.

EverettGriz said:
I’d respond directly to PR, but the referee has stopped this bout. And rightfully so. No one should be subjected to this kind of beat down, even if it is fully deserved.

I am curious, however. When he scored (assuming that ever happened) at Bozo high, did he have to climb the ladder to get the ball from the peach basket, or was there someone designated to do that?

Just tracked down the below video. Didn't have to climb the ladder. My family could always jump. I could get up, but couldn't hold the ball to dunk. The other 4 Bozeman starters, who were all 6' and 1 6'2", could dunk. See link to my Bozeman nephew dunking when he was about 25 or 26 and in med school. He's over 5'9", but under 5'10", and 185 lbs. The basket (Ridge in Bozeman) is a bit over 10' (he measured it). He benched 400 at about this time too. Had played cornerback at Dartmouth. My brother, who is just over 5'9", could dunk, two-handed, from high school until his late 20's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHGP8uZS5w

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
I’d respond directly to PR, but the referee has stopped this bout. And rightfully so. No one should be subjected to this kind of beat down, even if it is fully deserved.

I am curious, however. When he scored (assuming that ever happened) at Bozo high, did he have to climb the ladder to get the ball from the peach basket, or was there someone designated to do that?

Just tracked down the below video. Didn't have to climb the ladder. My family could always jump. I could get up, but couldn't hold the ball to dunk. The other 4 Bozeman starters, who were all 6' and 1 6'2", could dunk. See link to my Bozeman nephew dunking when he was about 25 or 26 and in med school. He's over 5'9", but under 5'10", and 185 lbs. The basket (Ridge in Bozeman) is a bit over 10' (he measured it). He benched 400 at about this time too. Had played cornerback at Dartmouth. My brother, who is just over 5'9", could dunk, two-handed, from high school until his late 20's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHGP8uZS5w

little-finger-pinkie-hand-gesture.jpg

Huh. These guys all seem to believe travel in the bsc IS a big deal. Of course, the coaches, ADs, and players of some bsc teams do not know anywhere near as much as one or two self-proclaimed experts on this board. I suppose they have never played the game though....

BTW, this is a good read.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/travel-extra-grind-division-smallest-schools

EverettGriz said:
Huh. These guys all seem to believe travel in the bsc IS a big deal. Of course, the coaches, ADs, and players of some bsc teams do not know anywhere near as much as one or two self-proclaimed experts on this board. I suppose they have never played the game though....

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/travel-extra-grind-division-smallest-schools

Don't think anyone ever said travel in the conference isn't a big deal. The main subject of this thread was whether a 5 hour bus ride on Friday from Flagstaff to Cedar City for a 12:30 game on Saturday is a big deal. It is not.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Don't think anyone ever said travel in the conference isn't a big deal. The main subject of this thread was whether a 5 hour bus ride on Friday from Flagstaff to Cedar City for a 12:30 game on Saturday is a big deal. It is not.

SMFH

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

SMFH

I guess you forgot the first post in the thread, yours. It complains about getting fro Flagstaff to So. Utah for an early game. I.e. travel on Friday for a 12:30 game on Saturday.

"Nice scheduling, BSC. I’m sure it was pleasant getting from Flagstaff to wherever the f*** So Ut is to get ready for a morning game."

Yes. That was the first post. Yes. It's still relevant. Yes. The article talks about such travel. Yes. It says it's completely and ridiculously shitty. No. You'll never admit you're wrong. Yes. I understand that about you. Yes. I'm done with you.

EverettGriz said:
Yes. That was the first post. Yes. It's still relevant. Yes. The article talks about such travel. Yes. It says it's completely and ridiculously shitty. No. You'll never admit you're wrong. Yes. I understand that about you. Yes. I'm done with you.

I wasn't wrong in this thread. You were. Multiple posters essentially said that. I didn't discuss the subject of conference travel in this thread. No one would disagree that conference travel in basketball is difficult on the Big Sky. Don't think you invented that idea.

God Damned SUU scheduled a 12:30 start time for a Saturday game when EWU played in Flagstaff on Thursday night....sounds like a conspiracy to me....lmfao....

sacstateman said:
God Damned SUU scheduled a 12:30 start time for a Saturday game when EWU played in Flagstaff on Thursday night....sounds like a conspiracy to me....lmfao....

Well, I wouldn't say conspiracy. But a clear attempt to gain a competitive advantage, no doubt. And they used it well today, as ewoooo looked like absolute SHIT and lost. No one can tell me part of that wasn't due to travel. Legans was bemoaning it on the ewooo pregame radio show, and I can't blame him. It's completely bullshit shitty scheduling by suu and the bsc. Worked well for the GRIZ, though, I guess.

EverettGriz said:
sacstateman said:

Well, I wouldn't say conspiracy. But a clear attempt to gain a competitive advantage, no doubt. And they used it well today, as ewoooo looked like absolute SHIT and lost. No one can tell me part of that wasn't due to travel. Legans was bemoaning it on the ewooo pregame radio show, and I can't blame him. It's completely bullshit shitty scheduling by suu and the bsc. Worked well for the GRIZ, though, I guess.

I agree with EverettGriz. This is a blatantly inequitable schedule practice by Southern Utah. It means that the visiting team that plays its first game at Northern Arizona gets approx. 6 hours less rest/prep time than the team that plays its first game at SUU. I means, in essence, that Sac State will find itself in the same schedule snafu that the Griz and EWU had to deal with.

I will agree. Scheduling the way SUU has does give them a slight advantage. I also think, some of us are way over exaggerating it. Keep in mind, the players are 18 to 23 year olds in great shape. I could play ball for a good 4 to 8 hours per day at that age and not feel much fatigue.

Keep in mind, the teams have all day Friday to travel, or do whatever they need to do. I believe most NCAA Div 1 teams should be able to recover between the Thursday night game ending, and tipoff on Saturday. If not, maybe they are not conditioned well enough. The GRIZ look plenty conditioned. The only players that should struggle with that kind of turn around would be bigger heavier players.

Honestly, when I was that age, I would never complain about turnaround times between games. I would be plenty happy just playing college basketball. If you let that kind of turnaround get in your head, then it does. To me, it is more mental than physical.

In theory I agree, Rule. But this isn't traveling from Lawrence to Manhattan. Add in that one of those games is played at 7,000 feet and you have a brutal road trip to begin with. Why make it even worse? Makes zero sense.

Doesn't matter. It's an inequitable schedule by SUU that unfairly affects 50% of The Big Sky teams that take this road trip.

Idaho also confirming this as a very difficult trip (and helping the GRIZ along the way), by trailing winless NAU 36-32 at the break.

Back