• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Host Kentucky!!!!

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
...I'm also hoping that if Kentucky comes out in a trapping full-court press on D, that the ladies will handle it better than they did against Pitt in the NCAA tourney awhile back.

Spare me.

Lady Griz still hangin' around, down 34-29 - they've missed a couple open looks. They hit those, they have the lead again or it is tied. Kentucky looks like they're crashing the boards a bit more.

Spare me the mere ten points and the loss. I'm not a masochist.

We're getting some open shots. Sure wish we'd be hitting those.

Plus, we also ought to practise shooting free throws.

Uggh, Kentucky pulling away - the ball keeps bouncing off the ladies' hands when they're trying to rebound - have missed some open shots as well.

Annnd - might be game - Kentucky hits a 3 to go up by 14. They're making everything they're putting up and the Ladies have been struggling even though they've been getting open looks.

Ladies just got outclassed the last Quarter and a half - lotta fight and a solid showing - way to go Ladies! Final Kentucky 71, Ladies 54.

Girls really hung in there and competed but just too much size and talent on the other side. Terrific job in the first half with their zone D and Henderson and Issac stood their ground against those two 6-3 players. Cold shooting in third quarter doomed them (a lot like last year when they hit long scoring droughts) but love their fire and moxie. This team learned a lot last year and has grown from the adversity they had to deal with. Looking forward to their growth!

I went to the game and... well, I don't think Kentucky outclassed Montana at all in the second half. With the exception of shooting, Montana's floor game stayed consistently tough throughout the game. Kentucky DID make some important adjustments at halftime, and shut down Montana's inside game with deny D and by disrupting passing lanes. That left the perimeter wide open for Montana. Wide open. Here's how that went:
Johnston 0-3 (4-14 overall)
Schoening 1-5 (2-11 overall)
Anderson 1-3 (1-6 overall)
Stockholm 1-6 (2-10 overall)

No criticisms here, the Lady Griz were ramped up & played with intensity; that worked on D and rebounding. But the shooting was just off, despite getting a lot of good looks on offensive patterns and inbounds.

I left the game really encouraged. Coach Schweyen is doing a great job with this team and getting solid minutes out of everyone. Of course, they can't afford any more injuries. When (if?) they get Taylor Gologoski back, they'll have a solid 8-9 player rotation because everyone can contribute. So, my overall analysis of this game I chalk up simply as a young team getting just a bit too ramped up in a big contest in front of a pretty loud crowd.

So, it'll be interesting to see how they process this & how they hit the court Saturday against Gonzaga... another big name program... but with a team that seems a bit down from the previous 5-6 years. Go Montana.

grizzlyjournal said:
I went to the game and... well, I don't think Kentucky outclassed Montana at all in the second half. With the exception of shooting, Montana's floor game stayed consistently tough throughout the game. Kentucky DID make some important adjustments at halftime, and shut down Montana's inside game with deny D and by disrupting passing lanes. That left the perimeter wide open for Montana. Wide open. Here's how that went:
Johnston 0-3 (4-14 overall)
Schoening 1-5 (2-11 overall)
Anderson 1-3 (1-6 overall)
Stockholm 1-6 (2-10 overall)

No criticisms here, the Lady Griz were ramped up & played with intensity; that worked on D and rebounding. But the shooting was just off, despite getting a lot of good looks on offensive patterns and inbounds.

I left the game really encouraged. Coach Schweyen is doing a great job with this team and getting solid minutes out of everyone. Of course, they can't afford any more injuries. When (if?) they get Taylor Gologoski back, they'll have a solid 8-9 player rotation because everyone can contribute. So, my overall analysis of this game I chalk up simply as a young team getting just a bit too ramped up in a big contest in front of a pretty loud crowd.

So, it'll be interesting to see how they process this & how they hit the court Saturday against Gonzaga... another big name program... but with a team that seems a bit down from the previous 5-6 years. Go Montana.

If LG had shot even 40% for the game they would have been in it at the end. Long stretches in the second half when they could not throw it in the ocean. Don’t know if they’re just a poor shooting team or had a case of nerves facing UK. If they want to turn things around, I think all they have to do is make more shots. They’ve got the game to compete with the Zags on Sat. As Coach SS said after the game, watch the Griz throttle the Cats and then get down to Dahlberg and cheer on the LG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG may not be a good shooting team, but I think shooting went south in the second half as they tired. Kentucky was big, some were physical, and generally played aggressive defense. 24 is incredibly fast.

The crowd was rocking late in the first half. That was fun. 2808.

I like this scrappy LG team. They play hard. They are fun to watch. Jace Henderson is really playing well. Too bad she's not a few inches taller. She is getting good position for rebounding and shooting.

It's sad to look at the strength and quality of the girls not suited up on the bench.

citay said:
Did Kentucky get homered? Ten more fouls against Kentucky, ten more foul shots for us.

Well, since I did not see Kentucky coach get all hostile and mad over a call, I would say not. they were more aggressive on defense (especially in the second half) which can lead to more fouls. The disparity wasn't so bad in the first half. Second half, Kentucky picked it up on defense which lead to more fouls called on them but also created more problems for the Lady Griz. Lady Griz shot 72% from the line which isn't actually bad, just looked bad because one player shot poorly (Emma Stockholm).

citay said:
Did Kentucky get homered? Ten more fouls against Kentucky, ten more foul shots for us.

The refs called too many fouls late in the game, when Kentucky was way up. Kentucky stepped up its defense in the second half, and were more physical. The refs were pretty good for most of the game.

Back