• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A Star is Born

citygriz

We all know Travis DeCuire is one of the up and coming young coaches in college basketball. But if our program is as talented and deep as many of us believe, and the future as bright as it seems, it's time for a shout out to the guy who's making so much of this all possible: Chris Cobb. Let's take a moment to reflect on his recruiting accomplishments:
--Michael Oguine, one of the top high school guards in Southern California;
--Karl Nicholas, described by at least two coaches in the Houston area as an "SEC talent;"
--Sayeed Pridgett, one of the top high school players in the Bay Area;
--Tim Falls, another top Bay Area player, and an enthusiastic early commit;
--Lars Espe and Mack Anderson, two players that were high on the Bobcat's radar. Espe had been mentioned so prominently on the Bobcat Board, his signing so apparently imminent, that when it was announced he'd signed with us, I thought it was a big printing mistake, and even said so on this board. And now Mack Anderson, a Bozeman product, another in a long line of outstanding big men that Montana has produced over the years, taken right out from under the Cat's noses. That has to wound the Bobcat pride.
I'm not close enough to our program know if Cobb is fully responsible for all the players mentioned above, or if I've neglected others he was in on. But I know this: He's one helluva recruiter. If you chance to meet him, watch you wallet. He might just talk you out of it.

citay said:
time for a shout out to the guy who's making so much of this all possible: Chris Cobb. I'm not close enough to our program know if Cobb is fully responsible for all the players mentioned above, or if I've neglected others he was in on. But I know this: He's one helluva recruiter. If you chance to meet him, watch you wallet. He might just talk you out of it.

Good post. Giving credit where credit is due.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/montana-hoping-to-duplicate-recruiting-success/article_04571eb9-983b-5d6c-b50b-e1c64f48068d.html

I've had the pleasure of getting to know Chris pretty much since he arrived in town. I can say without a doubt that he was instrumental in bringing these recruits to the university. Chris is a very dynamic, intense and focused coach who will follow in Travis's footsteps and help move the Grizzlies into the elite status of the mid-major programs.
But it is just as important for the fans to get behind the coaches and players and support the program by showing up for the games. I don't think it's unreasonable to think we can be the next Gonzaga.

citay said:
We all know Travis DeCuire is one of the up and coming young coaches in college basketball. But if our program is as talented and deep as many of us believe, and the future as bright as it seems, it's time for a shout out to the guy who's making so much of this all possible: Chris Cobb. Let's take a moment to reflect on his recruiting accomplishments:
--Michael Oguine, one of the top high school guards in Southern California;
--Kris Nicholas, described by at least two coaches in the Houston area as an "SEC talent;"
--Sayeed Pridgett, one of the top high school players in the Bay Area;
--Tim Falls, another top Bay Area player, and an enthusiastic early commit;
--Lars Espe and Mack Anderson, two players that were high on the Bobcat's radar. Espe had been mentioned so prominently on the Bobcat Board, his signing so apparently imminent, that when it was announced he'd signed with us, I thought it was a big printing mistake, and even said so on this board. And now Mack Anderson, a Bozeman product, another in a long line of outstanding big men that Montana has produced over the years, taken right out from under the Cat's noses. That has to wound the Bobcat pride.
I'm not close enough to our program know if Cobb is fully responsible for all the players mentioned above, or if I've neglected others he was in on. But I know this: He's one helluva recruiter. If you chance to meet him, watch you wallet. He might just talk you out of it.

It's 'Karl' Nicholas. Just being picky.

Cobby is a full on stud. He is bringing in a quantity and quality of athlete that we have never seen here before.

When Trav gets us to the tournament i'll give him his due...until then, i really haven't seen much from him outside of recruiting.

A staff of Steve Kerr, Bobby Knight, Greg Popovich and Coach K could not coach a team of five Montana kids to a Big Sky Championship. It all starts with recruiting. If Chris Cobb does nothing but recruit, that is fine with me. He's evidently very good at it.

citay said:
A staff of Steve Kerr, Bobby Knight, Greg Popovich and Coach K could not coach a team of five Montana kids to a Big Sky Championship. It all starts with recruiting. If Chris Cobb does nothing but recruit, that is fine with me. He's evidently very good at it.

Well said, you can talk all day about X and O's but you have to have the horses.

Back