• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Foundations

citygriz

If you've ever watched a skyscraper being built--and there are many being built in my hometown right now--you notice one thing: How much time and effort goes into the foundation. Taking down existing buildings on the site; driving piles, hopefully into bedrock; digging down for the underground garage and infrastructure. This work takes months. Then, finally, the building is above ground and whoosh! It's topped out before you know it.

I believe this is analogous to what's going on with the Griz basketball program right now. From day one, DeCuire started building the foundation. Here's how:
--Hiring good coaches, starting with Ken Bone, a Pac12 head coach with more experience than DeCuire had, then filling in with top-notch young assistants. Chris Cobb has proved to be an excellent recruiter. And much as I hate to lose Marlon Stewart, it's an indication of the appeal this staff holds for other programs.
--Recruiting. Yes, we've had some outstanding individual talent these past few years, many recruited by Wayne Tinkle, but I believe that overall, top-to-bottom, this is the deepest roster we've ever had. My worry now is to find enough playing time to keep all players happy.
--Scheduling. Wonderful! UCLA, Stanford, Washington. Being a Griz fan in the Bay Area usually meant being content with Pacific or San Jose State, or a trip down to Pepperdine. Now I get to watch us against two Pac12 teams, in one pre-season, and I can hardly wait. This is what excites the fan base, playing up--and, I believe, competing.
--Reminding of the Griz basketball tradition, by bringing back the "coaching tree" for a fund-raiser last summer. Tradition is so much a part of college athletics, and while football has built an outstanding tradition recently, basketball has had it at Montana for even longer. Don't squander it! DeCuire has not.
--Finally, this summer trip to Costa Rica. I've watched other teams do this, to great effect in terms of team bonding and extra practice time, but I did not know it could only be done once every four years. Year four of the DeCuire tenure: There we are, seizing the opportunity. Costa Rica. Great.

No, it hasn't been all peaches and cream with DeCuire; I get that. We've lost a couple of championship games we probably should have won, especially the one at home. We went into year three with a woeful lack of height and bulk up front, a deficiency that pretty much doomed us to an early exit in Reno. And finally, as DeCuire becomes more comfortable in the role of head coach, I hope he lightens up a bit, that his players, like the Warriors, are first and foremost having fun.

But as far as the foundation that DeCuire has built for success at Montana I could not he happier. I believe successes--and towering ones at that--are just ahead for us.

Pretty much agree with everything you posted. DeCuire certainly is not afraid of competition, which is terrific. It is a matter of time before his players will have that exact attitude. No doubt, DeCuire is proving to be a dynamic coach and terrific hire. Either this season, or next, this team will make a huge splash. The question is, how long will it take for this talent to jell and find the confidence to beat power conference programs?

Love how DeCuire has built his program. Feel free to dig for it, but prior DeCuire's hire, while Tinkle was still here, I posted that the GRIZ should schedule as difficult as possible, on the road. Even if that meant many road games. With the way attendance has been, and the stupid winter break, it makes sense to do just as he has. Until GRIZ NATION can prove to better support this program, he should continue the tough road games. Who knows, with some break through wins and performances, we could see some great competition at home. I just hope DeCuire remains here at least 2 more seasons. If not, promote Chris Cobb to head coach. I am very high on his coaching potential.

#will2017beabreakthrough

Great post, citay. You hit all the foundational anchor points. Now we'll see how fast this team builds into a contender. It'd be nice to see an early breakthrough non-con road win this year.

citay said:
If you've ever watched a skyscraper being built--and there are many being built in my hometown right now--you notice one thing: How much time and effort goes into the foundation. Taking down existing buildings on the site; driving piles, hopefully into bedrock; digging down for the underground garage and infrastructure. This work takes months. Then, finally, the building is above ground and whoosh! It's topped out before you know it.

I believe this is analogous to what's going on with the Griz basketball program right now. From day one, DeCuire started building the foundation. Here's how:
--Hiring good coaches, starting with Ken Bone, a Pac12 head coach with more experience than DeCuire had, then filling in with top-notch young assistants. Chris Cobb has proved to be an excellent recruiter. And much as I hate to lose Marlon Stewart, it's an indication of the appeal this staff holds for other programs.
--Recruiting. Yes, we've had some outstanding individual talent these past few years, many recruited by Wayne Tinkle, but I believe that overall, top-to-bottom, this is the deepest roster we've ever had. My worry now is to find enough playing time to keep all players happy.
--Scheduling. Wonderful! UCLA, Stanford, Washington. Being a Griz fan in the Bay Area usually meant being content with Pacific or San Jose State, or a trip down to Pepperdine. Now I get to watch us against two Pac12 teams, in one pre-season, and I can hardly wait. This is what excites the fan base, playing up--and, I believe, competing.
--Reminding of the Griz basketball tradition, by bringing back the "coaching tree" for a fund-raiser last summer. Tradition is so much a part of college athletics, and while football has built an outstanding tradition recently, basketball has had it at Montana for even longer. Don't squander it! DeCuire has not.
--Finally, this summer trip to Costa Rica. I've watched other teams do this, to great effect in terms of team bonding and extra practice time, but I did not know it could only be done once every four years. Year four of the DeCuire tenure: There we are, seizing the opportunity. Costa Rica. Great.

No, it hasn't been all peaches and cream with DeCuire; I get that. We've lost a couple of championship games we probably should have won, especially the one at home. We went into year three with a woeful lack of height and bulk up front, a deficiency that pretty much doomed us to an early exit in Reno. And finally, as DeCuire becomes more comfortable in the role of head coach, I hope he lightens up a bit, that his players, like the Warriors, are first and foremost having fun.

But as far as the foundation that DeCuire has built for success at Montana I could not he happier. I believe successes--and towering ones at that--are just ahead for us.

Well said. I worry about the playing time also, although winning will take care of that.

Having such a big group of youngsters will be interesting. Someone will be redshirted/not get playing time. How they and the coaching staff handle them going from a big fish to a little fish will be a challenge that will be fun to watch. It has to be one of the hardest parts about the bigger programs that consistently have lots of depth. A new great problem for the Griz.

Here's a slightly off topic question. How does the Costa Rica tour affect redshirting? I would think this would be an important decision with the big guy from Wyoming and the player from Bosnia not eligible for the trip. It would be nice to see Kelby get some early playing time and still not make early redshirt decision.

Back