• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Basketball Recruiting

flatheadgriz406 said:
MtTarheel said:
mtgrizrule said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
Trevon Ary-Turner (6-3, 180, 2★) committed to Weber State as of 1/19. Was hoping we might snag him as a late recruit.

We really don't need another guard. I'm still hoping another big comes our way, that is eligible for 2017/18 season.

I'm not sure we couldn't use another guard. There will be log jam in the post for the next 2 years with or without Alphonso (hopefully with!). We lose 3 guards this year with only Timmy coming in. I really like David Jenkins Jr. I saw he retweeted a gogriz article the other day.

I agree. It will help ease the blow when we lose Rorie and Oguine. Having a backcourt running mate for Falls would be nice. Another young shooter would be great too. Adding a D and 3 guy every other year is great although I think they are hard to come by. Especially when our current guys Gfeller and Moorehead are in a .... slump.
Travis is putting a good mix together but I think another versatile guard would do us well. All that being said another Brunig or Bolomboy probably wouldn't hurt. :cool:

Let me enjoy for a couple of years yet.

Any news on Jacob Hughes? Didn't find anything in this thread. Would be great to have two 6'10"+ guys on the roster!

About a week ago I dug all over the world wide web and could find much on him. Looks like is playing at some kind of prep school. Couldn't find many details.

'18 PG recruit receiving accolades. Would be a great get. Has a ton of interest, but only 3 real offers: Us, Fresno St., & Miami. If he has a big senior season &/or AAU shoe circuit tour he will probably move out of our reach.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/27/basketball-bellarmine-st-francis-players-share-wcals-top-award/

2018. We will need guards in the pipeline by then. Arlee's Phillip Moloitaire. Saw him at divisionals and am going to Class C state to see him some more. Ultra high bball IQ. Slick ball handling. Reminds me of Scott Zanon. Not sure what level but he has college game.

Mousegriz said:
Buttegrizzle said:
Great Falls High's Howard going to EWU? Scuttlebutt I heard from the Butte game. He's a bit small for a BSC power forward but has skills. Hate to not get Evans...

Hey Butte Grizzle...not intended as smack but have had some conversations with Butte friends asking the when Butte last put a men's player into college basketball and who was he. I've watched the Frontier pretty close and don't think there is a Butte kid on any roster there for at least 3 years nor Cats/Griz for many years now. Weird to not have one kid that can rise to the level of NAIA basketball in what seems like a decade.

True. We had two. One (Cody Carriger) could have but went to Oregon to play football. One moved to Glacier HS and then played for the Zags. Since then it's been a drought.

Mouse part of the problem is Butte was apparently designated a basketball-free zone on or about 1993 when I moved here. Getting a kid in a gym in off season here has about the same odds as getting a kid in the space program. I think coach Powers is going to improve things but Butte just lacks institution support for youth basketball.

Buttegrizzle said:
Mousegriz said:
Buttegrizzle said:
Great Falls High's Howard going to EWU? Scuttlebutt I heard from the Butte game. He's a bit small for a BSC power forward but has skills. Hate to not get Evans...

Hey Butte Grizzle...not intended as smack but have had some conversations with Butte friends asking the when Butte last put a men's player into college basketball and who was he. I've watched the Frontier pretty close and don't think there is a Butte kid on any roster there for at least 3 years nor Cats/Griz for many years now. Weird to not have one kid that can rise to the level of NAIA basketball in what seems like a decade.

True. We had two. One (Cody Carriger) could have but went to Oregon to play football. One moved to Glacier HS and then played for the Zags. Since then it's been a drought.

Carriger played against my son in AAU thru HS. Butte had one of the best 7th 8th grade AAU teams in the state those years. By the time those kids were seniors I think they won 1 or 2 games all season. Carriger was not D1 bball material. Looked like he might be in the 7th grade. Could never figure out how that Butte High team was so bad.

Check the latest updates for GRIZ recruiting. Pay extra attention to the 2018 class, Decuire is in the running for 1 4 star, and multiple 3 star recruits. I pray the GRIZ have a terrific 2017/18 season, and can steer these recruits to be GRIZ!!!! https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/montana

Can anyone explain how Henny Hearn could be the POY in a larger school classification in Idaho, have a redshirt year here, and then not play a minute that I saw during her freshman year? Was she hurt? Academics? Illness?

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/david-jenkins-jr

David Jenkins Jr to South Dakota State. Bummer I really liked him and hoped we could reel him in.

Verbal Commits just posted this offer to Tre'Shon Smoots-Jones, who's a junior PG (class of 2018) from Sacramento. That makes seven active offers to class-of-18' H.S. point guards... obviously an ongoing priority for Griz coaches.

Very brief video. I like a lot about this young man; reminds me quite a bit of Will Cherry in how he moves offensively. No clips of his defense.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/tre-shon-smoots-jones

grizzlyjournal said:
Verbal Commits just posted this offer to Tre'Shon Smoots-Jones, who's a junior PG (class of 2018) from Sacramento. That makes seven active offers to class-of-18' H.S. point guards... obviously an ongoing priority for Griz coaches.

Very brief video. I like a lot about this young man; reminds me quite a bit of Will Cherry in how he moves offensively. No clips of his defense.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/tre-shon-smoots-jones

He's got a little shimmer and shake. Decent form on his jumper too.

616s6e said:
Can anyone explain how Henny Hearn could be the POY in a larger school classification in Idaho, have a redshirt year here, and then not play a minute that I saw during her freshman year? Was she hurt? Academics? Illness?

Yes, she has a bad back. I have only seen her in one scrimmage (maroonandsilver 2015) and I was less than impressed.

Taking care of a bad back is more important than hoops. Thanks - I couldn't understand why Henny didn't play at all this year - she appeared to be healthy and she generally suited up.

I assume that the same is true of Nora Klick from Simms/Great Falls. Those back problems are so frustrating to deal with. Wish them both the best.

Back