• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cool story about the Montana Lacrosse team

alabamagrizzly

http://www.montanasports.com/2018/01/25/montana-grizzlies-lacrosse-wins-and-gains-so-much-more-from-trip-to-mexico/

“I was thoroughly impressed with what the Mexican lacrosse community did for us,” said Sargent. “It’s like they rolled out the red carpet.”
Montana players had to pay for their own plane tickets, but their hosts took care of everything else.

The entire trip came together to give the Mexican National Team some experience for the World Championships this summer. After several practices and scrimmages, the Griz prevailed in the signature showdown, 12-6.

The Grizzlies did much more than win an exhibition, however. Only about 500 people play lacrosse in Mexico, most at the college level, so the Montanans tried to grow the sport by holding a clinic for young kids.
“We took small, little groups of kids and we broke off into little segments,” explained Sargent. “And we were teaching just the very basics — explaining the stick, how to cradle the ball, how to pass.”
They also spent some time coaching a recently formed high school team that traveled several hours to meet the Grizzlies.
“The part that will stick with me the most is when the little kids we were working with found out they were able to keep the lacrosse sticks we brought and how excited they were. That was really a special moment,” said Tate. “After the game they were asking us to sign autographs on their shirt and take pictures with us.”

The Montana Men’s team had a great trip and experience and from the sounds of it, may be part of the birth of a new sport for a whole country. Pretty exciting stuff for all of them.

Montana started their regular season this weekend as the #12 ranked club team in the country and have hopes of winning a national championship this year.

Thx, Bama. Glad somebody gives notice to UM's club players. I've seen the University of Denver where it's a really big deal a few times. The Pioneers won a nat'l championship a couple of years back as the lone western school competing with the best of the eastern powerhouse programs.

Silvertip said:
Thx, Bama. Glad somebody gives notice to UM's club players. I've seen the University of Denver where it's a really big deal a few times. The Pioneers won a nat'l championship a couple of years back as the lone western school competing with the best of the eastern powerhouse programs.

Definitely glad to raise awareness. For one, these athletes truly compete for the love of their sport with no incentive. Not saying scholarship athletes don’t love their sport as much but getting college paid for helps some. On the spring schedule post, I have the lacrosse, baseball, and rugby schedules on there too. Next year I’d like to get every club sports schedule but I started a bit late this year.

Back