• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Delene Colburn’s record watch and other Griz records

alabamagrizzly

Currently Colburn is the only record holder from Montana of a Big Sky Conference record with her 21 doubles her Fr year in ‘15. MaKenna McGill did have the single season at bats mark at 203 until Weber’s Fr phenom Takesha Saltern stepped up to the plate 204 times last year. Five Montana starters also briefly held the games played record at 59 tell four Weber starters broke it a couple days later at 60. Also, Colleen Driscoll is the career and single season record holder for least walks per inning. Her control is amazing.

Back to Delene though, she is working on capping off an amazing career and in the hunt for some Big Sky career marks, some of which may stand a while. Games played, at bats, RBI’s, and doubles should all easily be broken. She will also be close but not likely to break the hits, runs, and homer marks. I’ll keep a running total as the year goes updating after each weekend and show where she’s at and what she needs.

Likely to break
Games played-
Colburn finished in 1st with 220
2nd is Sara Hingsberer WSU '14-'17 216
(Colburn needed 50 at the beginning of the year with a career best of 59)

At bats-
Alyson Kulp WSU '13-'16 697
Colburn finished in 3rd with 684
(Colburn needed 182 at the beginning of the year with a career best of 183)

Doubles-
Colburn finished in 1st with 57
2nd is Alyson Kulp WSU '13-'16 52
(Colburn needed 5 at the beginning of the year with a career best of 21)

RBI-
Vicky Galasso ISU '13-'15 198
Colburn finished tied for 1st with 198
(Colburn needed 40 at the beginning of the year with a career best of 63)

Unlikely to break
Hits-
Kacie Burnett ISU '14-'17 320
Colburn finished in 2nd with 254
(Colburn needed 128 at the beginning of the year with a career best of 71, she needed 36 for 2nd. The con season record is 90)

Runs-
Kacie Burnett ISU '14-'17 217
Colburn finished in 3rd with 160
(Colburn needed 97 at the beginning of the year with a career best of 46, she needed 51 for 2nd, and 36 for 3rd. The con season record is 65)

HRs-
Vicky Galasso ISU '13-'15 58
Colburn finished in 2nd with 45
(Colburn needed 22 at the beginning of the year with a career best of 14. The con season record is 20)

It’s also worth mentioning Micheala Hood’s Fr season. She broke or tied every single Fr pitching record. Here’s a list of the records and the previous record holders.

Wins 18
Sara Stephenson UM '16 14

Saves 4
Harley Wells ISU '17, Kelli Kleiss UNC '15, Kirtlyn Bohling WSU '15, Sara Stephenson UM '16 2

Games Started 28
Hannah Bergh UND '15 28

Games 37
Hannah Bergh UND '15 37

Complete Games 16
Celina Mathias Sac St '15 12

Shutouts 5
Ashley Ames ISU '15, Sara Stephenson UM '16 3

Innings Pitched 190.2
Hannah Bergh UND '15, Celina Mathias Sac St '15 152.0

Strike Outs 178
Celina Mathias Sac St '15 95

ERA 2.32
Kirtlyn Bohling WSU '15 2.66

This weekend at UC Riverside, Delene passed Maddy Hickman of ISU, one of the great BSC power hitters for 3rd all time on the RBI list. She is also 1 double away now from tying the con career record of 52 doubles in her career.

This weekend in St George, Delene tied Alyson Kulp of Weber State for the career doubles record at 52. She also smacked her 40th homer of her career. In 2nd place since the end of last season, she’s still 18 of the mark and not likely to break that record.

Delene may not want to go back to Eugene for a while. A combined 2 for 15 for a .133 BA this weekend. Her two hits did put her into a tie for 4th place overall with UNC’s great Erica Dick and she’s now 13 hits shy of 2nd place all time. That’ll probably be where she stays though because after that she’ll need another 91 hits to catch one of the greatest BSC players of all time in Kacie Burnett from ISU. That would give her 128 on the season which would shatter the current con mark of 87 by Burnett by 40+ hits. That ain’t happening.

Delene broke the con record of most doubles in a career with her 53rd coming in the bottom of the 5th of game one versus Providence today with a 2-1 lead. Gaby Martinez scored on the play giving Delene her 177th career RBI, 22 short of breaking ISU’s Vicky Galasso’s con record of 198, something she should reach by the end of the year easily.

During the week of Providence and Utah Valley, Colburn made quite a few moves up these rankings.
•She took sole possession over 1st place in doubles with her 53rd of her career surpassing WSU’s Alyson Kulp with 52.
•In RBI’s she moved into 2nd place after an 8 rbi week. She is now only 16 from owning the record outright.
•She moves from 4th to 3rd in hits. She’s now four short from passing Kulp for 2nd place all time. 1st is still most likely out of reach.
•She also moves from 8th to 7th in at bats, a record she can still challenge but it will be close.

Today in game 2 at Idaho St, with a three for three performance, Delene tied WSU’s Alyson Kulp for 2nd place all time in the Big Sky with her 228th hit. 1st place and Kacie Burnett from ISU at 320 are untouchable right now though so Delene will just work on her lead over third. WSU’s So sensation Takesha Saltern will certainly make a run at it someday though after breaking the conference and Burnett’s single season mark total with a 92 spot. That bests Burnett’s record by 5, a record she also set as a Fr.

After the ISU series, Delene moved 6th in at bats, 2nd in hits where she’ll likely stay, and from 7th to 5th in runs. She also added two more doubles to record.

I have a question on the softball stadium and rules. If a player is allowed to steal a base, like in second base, how does one do that on artificial turf? That is, without tearing up your knees? Even MLB mucks that one up with their artificial turf and but a little box of sand around the base instead of the entire infield like the natural grass stadiums allow.

If a player is going to steal second and they're going to slide, one really has to worry about the cleats being caught up in the artificial turf, right?

I've never attended a game, yet, but I wouldn't mind doing so. Though I don't know where the hell it is in Missoula, even. But that is one question that has been in the back of my mind ever since Montana announced the artificial turf for the softball field. Whether it covers the entire field or have sand around the bases sort of deal.

WyomingGrizFan said:
I have a question...

Well for starters the field is behind the soccer field on South Ave just off Higgins. Where Dornblazer used to be if you don’t know where the soccer field is.

No, there’s no sand boxes for the bases I believe, atleast I’ve never noticed em if there is. The could add to the reason of why we’re normally near the bottom of the con in SB attempts. Not sure on how it might affect slides since I’ve never seen it cause an issue.

WyomingGrizFan said:
I have a question on the softball stadium and rules. If a player is allowed to steal a base, like in second base, how does one do that on artificial turf? That is, without tearing up your knees? Even MLB mucks that one up with their artificial turf and but a little box of sand around the base instead of the entire infield like the natural grass stadiums allow.

If a player is going to steal second and they're going to slide, one really has to worry about the cleats being caught up in the artificial turf, right?

I've never attended a game, yet, but I wouldn't mind doing so. Though I don't know where the hell it is in Missoula, even. But that is one question that has been in the back of my mind ever since Montana announced the artificial turf for the softball field. Whether it covers the entire field or have sand around the bases sort of deal.

Pic of the softball field. It's a very nice complex (that's getting consistently better), and I would encourage you to get to a game. You'll really enjoy it. College softball is great to watch in person.

_DSC5939.jpg

Also, artificial surfaces are very common in softball facilities where weather is an issue. Here is a pic of Udub's surface:

helping-huskies-howl.jpg

Ruff weekend in Grand Forks for all the girls. 12 hits in 3 games and 1 run. Delene did move into 8th place in career games played and should break the record at home against Sac St the last weekend of the year before the con tourney.

This weekend in Ceder City Delene broke out of her “slump” with 5 hits and 5 RBI’s. She added her 44th career HR and moved up from 7th to 4th(tied with WSU’s Alyson Kulp) in career games played. She now only needs 8 more RBI’s to break ISU’s Vicky Galasso’s career RBI BSC record.

This week vs Carrol and PSU at home, Delene moved into 2nd place all time in games played and, barring any cancellations next week in Greeley, she’ll pass WSU’s Sara Hingsberer for 1st place with 216 at home vs Sac St the following weekend. It is also possible she will break the great Vicky Galasso of ISU’s career RBI BSC record of 198 if she collects 3 more in Greeley. 3 more runs scored will also move her from 5th to 3rd in the all time rankings, where she will likely finish being that she needs 18 more to catch Vicky Galasso in 2nd place who is 38 behind her teammate Kacie Burnett.

This week in Greeley. Despite struggling some at the plate(4-13 w/ one extra base hit), Delene still moves up in the rankings in runs and at bats. Her 3 runs moved her into 3rd place all time, where she’ll probably stay. She is 14 runs behind ISU’s Vicky Galasso with 3 regular season games and whatever possible postseason games are left. In at bats she moved from 6th to 4th with 662. She’ll need another 14 at bats next weekend to tie SUU’s Kylee Wolf. She will need a good postseason run to give her a chance at the record though needing another 19 at bats after that to catch WSU’s Alyson Kulp. The record would have been easier to beat but she has already set a personal best in walks this season which should have been expected given her presence at the plate and in this lineup.

Obviously not the final home stand of her career that Delene wanted vs Sac St. The Griz going 1-2 wasn’t what they were hoping for but they still live to play another day at the BSC tourney in Ogden. Delene did move into 1st place all time for games played and will add to that next week. I was hoping she would break the RBI record at home but she still has a shot only needing two to break it. The amazing thing about Galasso’s record though is that her total came in three years, being her Fr year was in 2012 before the Big Sky Conference has added softball. All in all though, wins are all that matters and the Griz will need 4 this weekend to win it all again. Go Griz!

And that’s a wrap folks. What an amazing career. Delene broke or tied the career marks in games played, doubles, and RBI’s(tied). She finished 2nd all time in hits and homers. She finished 3rd all time in runs and at bats. She will probably be remembered as the founder and cornerstone to the Montana program years and years down the road. Congrats Delene and hats off to you. Thank you for all your dedication. Once a Griz, always a Griz!

Back