• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Volleyball 2017

alabamagrizzly

I was hesitant to start a volleyball thread after the abysmal season they had last year but a new coach was brought in with new recruits and new hope. UM won their opener last night at North Texas's invite against UTEP. Good start, keep it rolling ladies.

alabamagrizzly said:
Now 2-0 with a good win against Tulsa. Hopefully they can get a shot at the hosts before Texas floats away.

It's early and very hard to determine how tough (or not) UTEP and Tulsa -- the teams Montana beat -- actually are... and North Texas blanked the Griz. But I watched Montana VB a lot last year and this team has already shown some big changes in the box scores.

Last season Montana seemed to start well in the first set, but then fade quickly... often into total disarray by the final set. Not so against UTEP and Tulsa. In both matches the Griz played smarter and got tougher as the sets progressed: impressive. That kind of play is usually the mark of good coaching, so kudos to coach Lawrence for starting her career at Montana 2-1. They play a brutal pre-conference schedule, but I'm hopeful Lawrence's MontanaGrizVB team is at the start of a steady upward arc. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Now 2-0 with a good win against Tulsa. Hopefully they can get a shot at the hosts before Texas floats away.

It's early and very hard to determine how tough (or not) UTEP and Tulsa -- the teams Montana beat -- actually are... and North Texas blanked the Griz. But I watched Montana VB a lot last year and this team has already shown some big changes in the box scores.

Last season Montana seemed to start well in the first set, but then fade quickly... often into total disarray by the final set. Not so against UTEP and Tulsa. In both matches the Griz played smarter and got tougher as the sets progressed: impressive. That kind of play is usually the mark of good coaching, so kudos to coach Lawrence for starting her career at Montana 2-1. They play a brutal pre-conference schedule, but I'm hopeful Lawrence's MontanaGrizVB team is at the start of a steady upward arc. Go Griz.

Reading the summary, I realized how little I know about Volleyball. I do think this team is way ahead of last year thanks to Lawrence. UNT was voted 6th in their Con preseason poll which all know means nothing. They had lost to Texas Tech earlier in the day and were probably playing with a little more desire then us being on their home court and all and us probably already exceeding ecxpectations. I'm just hoping these non con games are used to prepare for the con schedule which I'm sure it is.

Another good win tonight against Long Beach St in Utah. LBS was predicted to finish 3rd surgery in the Big West Con. UM won 3-0 where all three sets were decided by two points. Ladies showin' their grit tonight.

Impressive game by a very young team that got a bit younger today with the increased playing time by true frosh Maddy Marshall. They hit a solid .223% against LBS. No seniors on this team, three juniors, with 4 sophomores, two true freshmen and a redshirt freshman getting significant playing time.

I was able to watch some of the players when my daughter was a the Griz volleyball camp. Very athletic and seemed to gel playing together. glad to see it is spilling over into the season

Volleyball showed true grit today after jumping out on SE Missouri 2-0 then giving back the next 2 sets to allow SEM to tie it up 2-2. Then then battled to 15-12 score to take the decisive 5th set. This team is definitely coming up.

Back