• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz soccer 2017

alabamagrizzly

Don't forget the Griz soccer season starts in just a short week with road games at Boise and Utah St next weekend. There's a lot to be excited about with these girls this year including all the returning experience. Here's some GoGriz articles and a roster breakdown to jump start the season.

Go Griz!!

Team preview
http://gogriz.com/news/2017/7/31/depth-veteran-experience-make-griz-optimistic-for-2017-soccer-season.aspx

Plakorus will be the first to admit that his team has underperformed. He believes the past two rosters have had the talent to bring a third and fourth consecutive title to Missoula, but he couldn't get his team to maximize its potential.
"We've had some success, but I also think we've fallen short," Plakorus said. "We've been good the last couple of years, we've been a tough team to play, but I don't think we've reached our potential, and for me, that's the most frustrating part of being a coach."

the 2017 squad returns 13 letterwinners and eight starters, but also welcomes 14 newcomers....Six players return who made at least 15 starts in 2016. Many of the upperclassmen have been playing since they were freshmen.

the newcomers, thirteen freshmen and a Pac-12 transfer(RSFr). Despite their youth, Plakorus expects them to contend for spots right away, and for many of them to play.

Overall, UM returns 95.7 percent of its goals scored, 78.3 percent of its assists and 88.4 percent of its overall points from 2016.

The biggest area of turnover comes on defense, where UM lost a 2 time all-conference defender(Tess Brenneman) and the conference's goalkeeper of the year(Kailey Norman).
"We'll feel their loss, but there's also players who have been watching them and learning from them. I think the mark of a good program is that you're sad to see the impact players go, but the new players are ready for the opportunity and excited to be the next one up. I have no doubt that we have those girls who are ready to step into those shoes."

The Norman graduation leaves the biggest question mark.

Griz picked 3rd
http://gogriz.com/news/2017/8/7/montana-soccer-picked-to-finish-3rd-in-big-sky-conference.aspx

Eastern Washington, which won the Big Sky tournament as a No. 5 seed in 2016, is the preseason favorite, earning 95 points and eight of the 11 first-place votes. Northern Arizona is predicted to finish second, receiving 80 points and one first-place vote; EWU beat NAU in last year's championship game.
Idaho, the 2016 regular-season champion and last year's preseason favorite, is just behind UM with 75 points and one first-place vote. Northern Colorado is the other school to earn a first place vote, receiving one and 68 total points, for fifth place.
Sacramento State (60), Weber State (51), Idaho State (33), Portland State (32), Southern Utah (20) and North Dakota (15) round out the rest of the preseason standings.

The Griz will face the top four other teams in four consecutive games in October, with three of the four matchups coming on the road. The grueling stretch begins with a home match vs. Northern Arizona on Sunday, Oct. 8, followed by road matches at Idaho (Oct. 13), Eastern Washington (Oct. 15) and Northern Colorado (Oct. 20).

Here's the roster and games started/played and minutes per game in '16.

Forwards
8 RJr F/M Hallie Widner 16/16g 69m
14 Jr F Ellie Otteson 12/18g 41m
3 Sr F Allie Lucas 7/18g 42m
7 Jr F Jacey Delaney 0/5g 15m
4 RSo F Dani Morris 0/0
13 RFr F Kennedy Yost na
23 Fr F/M Rita Lang na
33 Fr F Mikee Furrow na
91 Fr F Morgan Meatovich na

Midfielders
15 Sr M/D Kait Crowell 17/18g 74m
27 Jr F/M MKz Warren 14/17g 49m
5 RJr M/F Madi Adams 11/16g 26m
30 Sr M Charlene Burger 0/16g 33m
19 Sr M/D Natalie Hein 0/12g 14m
10 RJr M Maddy Emerick 0/0
2 Fr M Raye Burton na
6 Fr F/M Alexa Coyle na
9 Fr M Ally Shelton na

Defenseman
11 Sr D Chan Pederson 18/18g 80m
28 Sr D/F Ash Pederson 16/18g 74m
22 Jr D/M Jane Fowler 18/18g 74m
18 Jr D/M Raquel Watts 5/18g 52m
20 Jr D Taryn Miller 1/14g 46m
25 Jr F/D Lily Obrigewitch 0/7g 14m
12 Fr D Taylor Hansen na
16 Fr D Claire Steffe na
17 Fr D Emily Peters na
21 Fr D Caitlin Rogers na
29 Fr D Avery Adams na
31 Fr D Catie Buck na
77 Fr D Gabbi DeMarce na

Goalies
35 Sr G Maddie Vincent 2/2g 100m
00 RFr G Claire Howard 0/0

alabamagrizzly said:
Griz win opener at Boise 1-0. Good start to the year.

I was at the game. They didn't play great, and the score was an own goal by BSU. First half they were flat. Possession was probably close to 70-30 boise state. Second half much better...UM probably 55-45 possession. BSU has a bit better athletes at forward, but our defense was real good when it counted. Passing needs some work, as well as general ball control. The girls were a bit feisty at times, which I liked. Definitely a solid start to the season as a win is a win.

AZDoc said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I was at the game. They didn't play great, and the score was an own goal by BSU. First half they were flat. Possession was probably close to 70-30 boise state. Second half much better...UM probably 55-45 possession. BSU has a bit better athletes at forward, but our defense was real good when it counted. Passing needs some work, as well as general ball control. The girls were a bit feisty at times, which I liked. Definitely a solid start to the season as a win is a win.
Thanks for the info. The game was supposed to be streamed live but BSU was having technical difficulties and had a 3 hr 30 min delay on the stream so I had to "watch" it on the gametracker. Excrutiating. Our D has always been our strength and losing Brenneman and Norman left some questions to be answered and it looks like tonight started to answer some of those. Boise had a lot of experience returning also but was picked 7th in the con but a road win is a road win and I'll take it. Sunday's match up against Utah St will be a tuffer test and should show us more of what these girls are made of.

alabamagrizzly said:
AZDoc said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Thanks for the info. The game was supposed to be streamed live but BSU was having technical difficulties and had a 3 hr 30 min delay on the stream so I had to "watch" it on the gametracker. Excrutiating. Our D has always been our strength and losing Brenneman and Norman left some questions to be answered and it looks like tonight started to answer some of those. Boise had a lot of experience returning also but was picked 7th in the con but a road win is a road win and I'll take it. Sunday's match up against Utah St will be a tuffer test and should show us more of what these girls are made of.

Game was moved to a different stadium as the BSU soccer field is having some work done. Wonder if that was the delay issue. The TV van was out in the street though. BSU was the better team today. The Griz were real close to playing well and scoring a few more goals. Boise had a few real good opportunities too. Score could've been 5-4 as some openings were missed. Man boise has this girl they call stick...as she's tall and lanky. Good crap she hit one from just past midfield that was a rocket . Juuuuust missed and was out of our keepers reach on the dive. The boom echoed off the parking garage next door. Was a freaky kick. I was also lucky enough to sit behind 'soccer fan" for BSU. Crazy loud screamer, a complainer, and when the final whistle blew, she stormed off to her car. Kids enjoyed it. Our season starts this week for my kids. Was fun to have them watch these girls play.

AZDoc said:
alabamagrizzly said:
AZDoc said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Game was moved to a different stadium as the BSU soccer field is having some work done. Wonder if that was the delay issue. The TV van was out in the street though. BSU was the better team today. The Griz were real close to playing well and scoring a few more goals. Boise had a few real good opportunities too. Score could've been 5-4 as some openings were missed. Man boise has this girl they call stick...as she's tall and lanky. Good crap she hit one from just past midfield that was a rocket . Juuuuust missed and was out of our keepers reach on the dive. The boom echoed off the parking garage next door. Was a freaky kick. I was also lucky enough to sit behind 'soccer fan" for BSU. Crazy loud screamer, a complainer, and when the final whistle blew, she stormed off to her car. Kids enjoyed it. Our season starts this week for my kids. Was fun to have them watch these girls play.

That's funny about the BSU fan. My 5 year old daughter is playing her first year of soccer and right now she's the girl that runs around the group of kids watching them kick the ball. She's cheering them on atleast though and not chasing butterflies.

alabamagrizzly said:
AZDoc said:
alabamagrizzly said:
AZDoc said:

That's funny about the BSU fan. My 5 year old daughter is playing her first year of soccer and right now she's the girl that runs around the group of kids watching them kick the ball. She's cheering them on atleast though and not chasing butterflies.

So reading the gogriz wrap up, I did a pretty good cliff notes of the game. There's a reason, though, I'm not a writer...they do a much better job! Hahaha

cmtgrizzly said:
Utah State feed not working now. Anyone else? I am in SLC airport which does have very poor internet

Last I seen USU was winnin' 2-0 w/ 10 min to go. They're s'posed to have a good squad this year. 3rd in the MW preseason poll and BSU was 7th.

Big weekend for the Griz. 2-0 vs Mt West schools while the BSC preseason fav, EWU went 0-2 against the same schools. Granted, all games were played in Missoula by still....

On a down note, Claire Howard, our Fr keeper tasked w/ replacing BSC Goalkeeper of the year Hailey Norman, was lost w/ what appeared to be a pretty bad knee injury. She has started all four games for the 3-1 Griz posting two shutouts. Hopefully it wasn't as serious as it looked but it didn't look good. RSr Maddie Vincent is the only other keeper on the team and when she stepped into goal on Sun to replace Howard, that was only the 6th time in her career to see live game action.

alabamagrizzly said:
Big weekend for the Griz. 2-0 vs Mt West schools while the BSC preseason fav, EWU went 0-2 against the same schools. Granted, all games were played in Missoula by still....

On a down note, Claire Howard, our Fr keeper tasked w/ replacing BSC Goalkeeper of the year Hailey Norman, was lost w/ what appeared to be a pretty bad knee injury. She has started all four games for the 3-1 Griz posting two shutouts. Hopefully it wasn't as serious as it looked but it didn't look good. RSr Maddie Vincent is the only other keeper on the team and when she stepped into goal on Sun to replace Howard, that was only the 6th time in her career to see live game action.

:clap: :clap:

Maddie played tough. Good anticipation/reflexes in blocking a goal kick. This team has good depth and a lot of potential.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/901982198181408769[/tweet]

Made the game on Sunday. They looked good. Burton will be a star for sure. Alexa looked pretty good as well. If she were a bit faster she would be really tough to stop. Center defender played very well. They could be real contender and maybe dominant in the Big Sky if Plakorus can get consistency from them.

cmtgrizzly said:
Made the game on Sunday. They looked good. Burton will be a star for sure. Alexa looked pretty good as well. If she were a bit faster she would be really tough to stop. Center defender played very well. They could be real contender and maybe dominant in the Big Sky if Plakorus can get consistency from them.
They seem to be a better team this year. Move the ball real well when attacking. They've always been good on the defensive end but this years team seems to have an offensive edge they ain't had in a while. Our biggest offensive threat has yet to hit the net and yet we're 3-1 and still scoring goals. That says a lot.

alabamagrizzly said:
cmtgrizzly said:
They seem to be a better team this year. Move the ball real well when attacking. They've always been good on the defensive end but this years team seems to have an offensive edge they ain't had in a while. Our biggest offensive threat has yet to hit the net and yet we're 3-1 and still scoring goals. That says a lot.

Glad they are moving the ball. Against boise they absolutely did not the first half. I'm excited to see them play well

Back