• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jimbo Fisher blasts players

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Interesting article below. Given the recent conversations here over Stitt and whether he is being too tough on the kids, I thought this was fitting. I have no problem with Stitt and what he's trying to build (it is why he was hired....to do what he needs to win) just as I have no problem with Fisher calling his players out to make them better as well. It seems some over here think Stitt and probably Fisher in this scenario are simply being a-holes. I don't agree.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Jimbo-Fisher-blasts-Seminoles-practice-Guys-need-to-find-out-if-they-like-football

Talking generally, while winning is an important goal, it is not the only goal. Others including attracting good kids and not having serious off-field issues (see Miami). Advancing the kids academically. Winning the "right" way. There are others.

Focusing more on pushing the kids hard, or very hard, I believe there comes a point at which players should not be pushed too hard, and coaches can be too big of assholes. Many head coaches is sort of assholes, but there comes a point at which I wouldn't play, or encourage my kids to play, for huge assholes.

If coaches are so tough that they drive lots of kids out of the program, including good players, then I think the coaches are pushing too hard--and the pushing may backfire. At some point, word will get around, and some recruits will just go elsewhere.

An important part of recruiting, for some recruits and their families, is having the head coach or key assistant sit down with the family, or parents or mom, and provide assurance that if their kid comes, and works hard in football and the classroom, and stays out of trouble, that the coach and school will take care of them. I hope the new coaching staff can make this commitment and have credibility in making it. It's important. Every kid is not going to be a start or even starter, but many can be contributors.

In this case of this coaching staff, I hope they realize the importance of recruiting Montana kids. I don't think the Montana schools can be successful in the long run, keep attendance consistently high, and live without in the limited budget, without attracting the top Montana kids and the many lesser players and walk-ons who may develop into starters and will be contributors. I don't think as many people will drive long distances to most of the games, unless there are alot of Montana kids on the field, at least not in the long run.

I don't know where the new coaches line up on some of these things. I know they want to win. I know they want a clean program. I know they want to increase the level of talent and have more uniform commitment. In general, all of those things are positive.

In this case of this coaching staff, I hope they realize the importance of recruiting Montana kids. I don't think the Montana schools can be successful in the long run, keep attendance consistently high, and live without in the limited budget, without attracting the top Montana kids and the many lesser players and walk-ons who may develop into starters and will be contributors. I don't think as many people will drive long distances to most of the games, unless there are alot of Montana kids on the field, at least not in the long run.

Get ready for the "I don't care where they come from" posts... :roll:

All of us have played for coaches that we did not respect, college or high school and in various sports. Some coaches got a lot of effort and improvement from the kids they had and usually that carried over from year to year. But lets face it, many coaches are not very good for various reasons. Number one for us fans is winning and having a "clean" team. 99% of us want a good team that is regarded as "clean". Mom's and others will buy into a team that is known as a good clean and well coached team.

Montana players are good but as everyone knows there are not enough of them and we need to go out of State or even the USA to obtain good players.

What the hell any of this has to do with coach Stitt is way beyond me. I don't see him as a mean SOB at this point but perhaps some know more about him than I do.

VimSince03 said:

You can roll you eyes all you want, but it's the truth.

Raider said:
VimSince03 said:

You can roll you eyes all you want, but it's the truth.

Have you not heard, they win the state and beat the sky!

#Beatoftheguy
#TRC
#BigFatLines

"If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" So what if they are assholes ,If these young men can not handle it they should go back to there mom's basement . I guarantee there are plenty of young men that would love to be in a position to play ball at the upper level . Hard work never hurt anyone and no ones hand should be held in the process !! All this pissing and moaning about it does not help . What happens when these kids get into the real world ( that's right, you get the kids that want everything for free . free tuition, taking parents to court cause they wasted the money their parents gave them for an education )
Most parents give their kids a roof over their heads and food on the table and the opportunity to do better than they did. I ask ,what more do you need in life? There are a lot of kids out there today that are just to soft !!
If my children ( Adults now ) acted like that , Oh ,wait they know better that to pull crap like that.
Sorry for the rant fellas ,but all this pissing and moaning back and forth is idiotic . I know it has been a long offseason but "come on, let it go " . To these kids I would say two things " Life is hard sometimes so what " and " Never stop doing your best just because someone doesn't give you credit "

One more " Life is a garden dig it!!!!

Now can we start some real football threads ???
Anyone ?????

grizcountry420 said:
Its all overrated! I dont care where they come from, as long as we win games..

It's overrated unless the griz were focusing heavily on getting all the MT players they can while the Cats were looking elsewhere. Then most of griz nation would be preaching about how important it is to recruit MT players so heavily, and calling MSU Bozangeles, Texas U, etc. :roll:

poorgriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

It's overrated unless the griz were focusing heavily on getting all the MT players they can while the Cats were looking elsewhere. Then most of griz nation would be preaching about how important it is to recruit MT players so heavily, and calling MSU Bozangeles, Texas U, etc. :roll:

Cats might get made fun of less if they didn't fucking suck so much for such a long period of time.

#RenttoOwntheCounty

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

Cats might get made fun of less if they didn't f***[*] suck so much for such a long period of time.

#RenttoOwntheCounty
Nailed it.

Doesn't matter where the cats or Griz recruit. The griz will always own the rivalry.

poorgriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

The ones that are preaching about how important it is to recruit the state dont know much anyways..

PlayerRep said:

I don't know where the new coaches line up on some of these things. I know they want to win. I know they want a clean program. I know they want to increase the level of talent and have more uniform commitment. In general, all of those things are positive.

Are you saying that Montana kids are soft......pampered.....lazy.....so they can't handle some tough love......

grizcountry420 said:
poorgriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

The ones that are preaching about how important it is to recruit the state dont know much anyways..

:lol: I know plenty. Sorry I pushed it off topic. Back to Jimbo Fisher and being "tough!"

Postby brewskis » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:35 am
If you can't take an ass-chewing, you don't belong in collegiate athletics and you should leave.
It's just that "simple."

As usual, it is impossible to have an intelligent conversation on topics like this, without entire regiments of straw men being drawn into service.

One reason I think sports is important is precisely because of learning how to take immediate and harsh criticism designed to promote performance without wilting into buttercupism or snowflakeism.

There's always a fine line. And there are coaches out there not so aware that there is one. Coaches are still responsible authority figures, but when the "responsible" yields to malevolent, that's not coaching. Coachs are hire to improve kids, not wreck them.

I can't find the reference, but when I was in high school, I recall a Sentinel student who had broken his neck during practice at the Fairgrounds fields, and as he lay there dying the coach was yelling at him to get up, that he was worthless. Last words the kid heard.

Death of Bigfork football player a few years ago:

It also alleges that the first member of the football coaching staff to reach Bowman after he collapsed while running a lap "yelled at Jeffrey to get up and get going" while grabbing him by the shirt.

The second coach who arrived, the lawsuit alleges, "reached down, grabbed the inside of the waistline of Jeffrey's pants, lifted him off the ground, then dropped him onto the ground." ....

"As Jeff fought for his life on the field, the coaches could have saved him with the school's defibrillator," Robert and Troy Bowman said in a statement released by their attorney, Daniel J. Caplis of Denver. "But the coaches did not use it to save our son from what they had done to him."
http://missoulian.com/news/local/parents-sue-over-son-s-death-during-football-practice/article_caebc99e-ac0e-51d5-a7f7-aafeb1730c11.html

He wasn't "tough" enough.
In 2011, the NCAA failed to investigate what is arguably the worst-case scenario: when a player dies.

Derek Sheely, 22, collapsed on the practice field at Frostburg State in Maryland after complaining of a headache to his coaches. According to the family's lawsuit, he had been subjected to 13 hours of contact practice within three and a half days.

He died six days later.

An anonymous email later sent to the parents alleged the coaches knew he'd been bleeding with a lump on his head for several days, yet when he complained of not feeling well, one coach said, "Stop your bit****g and moaning and quit acting like a pu**y and get back out there Sheely!"

The letter says the coaches continued yelling at him after he collapsed.

A teammate, Brandon Eyring, later told CNN that there were plenty of warning signs ignored.

"They were more focused on building tough football players than on safety in my opinion,” Eyring told CNN. "It's kind of the culture. Just, again, again, the only word I can put is gladiator. You're going to fight, unfortunately to the death, I mean that's kind of how it happened and it's not metaphorical at this point, that's kind of what happened."
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/10/us/ncaa-concussions/

Posted 4/11/2008
ORLANDO (AP) — Four teammates of a Central Florida football player who died last month say he showed signs of distress before collapsing following an intense workout, a newspaper reported Friday.

Ereck Plancher died March 18, about an hour after taking part in the team's "mat drills." A cause of death has not been determined.

Teammates told the Orlando Sentinel that Plancher's final workout was more intense than what school officials initially described. The players requested anonymity because they feared retribution from coaches.

"Everybody was struggling at times," one player said. "... But (Ereck) was running, and I could tell something wasn't right. His eyes got real dark, and he was squinting like he was blinded by the sun. He was making this moaning noise, trying to breathe real hard."

The players also said Plancher, a 19-year-old receiver from Naples, Fla., fell during one run.

"The coaches were yelling at him to get up, and of course, he came in last," one of the players said.

Golden Knights coach George O'Leary disputed the players' account.

"I did not see him struggle on the field," O'Leary said. "From my professional opinion, what should have been done for his care was being done."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/cusa/2008-04-11-ucf-death_N.htm

Makes the wrong kind of fan "feel tough" himself when the wrong kind of coach has 18 and 20 year brains and bodies to "toughen up." Like everything else, there's a way to do it and there's a way not to do it. Woe be to a program that incurs a death like any of those because of mindless fanbase, chanting "Coach, Coach, Coach!" while a player dies.

Unfortunately, this is not a subject that can be approached with any "nuance" at all. Call it "Extreme Coaching," there's no place for it except to fanatic foaming fans who demand that young adults endure what that fat fan never did.

grizcountry420 said:
poorgriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

But what if you "Own the State", and continously get beat down by the only other program in the state at your level? Is that not important? Or is that simply just a pathetic program making a false statement/catchy phrase?

Its like if Rice started using the phrase "Own the Lone Star state"....Texas, TCU, Baylor, TTech, A&M, Houston....they'd all just be like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VimSince03 said:
grizcountry420 said:
poorgriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

:lol: I know plenty. Sorry I pushed it off topic. Back to Jimbo Fisher and being "tough!"

I like you.. You're a good poster!

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back