• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

P12 basketball - Cal beats #1 Arizona

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_25045215/cal-stuns-no-1-arizona" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
images

20140202__ssjm020calbkc02~1_300.JPG

BERKELEY -- Justin Cobbs couldn't breathe, but he probably has never been happier.

Cobbs swished a fall-away 17-footer from the left baseline with 0.9 seconds left as Cal stunned No. 1 Arizona 60-58 in front of a delirious capacity crowd of 11,877 fans at Haas Pavilion on Saturday night.

Then the trouble began. Students rushed the floor and engulfed the victorious Bears, including Cobbs. "I was claustrophobic ... I couldn't breathe," Cobbs said. "But it was exciting." Cobbs scored Cal's final 12 points, and the Bears (15-7, 6-3 Pac-12) beat a No. 1 team on their home floor for the first time. It was just their third victory over a No. 1 team, and their first since Jason Kidd's triple-double powered an 85-70 win over UCLA at the Oakland Coliseum on Jan. 30, 1994. Arizona (21-1, 8-1) had the ball with 42 seconds left and ran time off until Nick Johnson missed a jumper with 17 seconds remaining. Tyrone Wallace rebounded for the Bears, and Cobbs went to work.

... "As long as I've been doing this, No. 1 always brings out everybody," Cal coach Mike Montgomery said. "Before the game, I kind of looked up and said, `This is how it's supposed to be.' It was a really good crowd." And a terrific performance by the Bears, who had lost their three previous games after a 5-0 start to the Pac-12.

BERKELEY -- Cal coach Mike Montgomery doesn't remember the first time he met the late, legendary John Wooden. "He claims that he held me when I was a baby," Montgomery recalled this week.

On Tuesday night, Montgomery pulled even with Wooden in the record book as Cal beat Nevada 92-84 at Haas Pavilion. The victory was the 664th of Montgomery's career, tying him with the "Wizard of Westwood" for 27th-most in NCAA Division I history. Montgomery was quick to point out that he still is 10 national championships shy of equaling what Wooden achieved at UCLA. But he was plenty proud to be standing alongside basketball's most acclaimed coach. "It's just a number, but it changes the context because everybody knows what he did," Montgomery said. "From that standpoint, it's pleasing that he happens to be the person who's there. It's pretty cool."
http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_24699194/cals-mike-montgomery-equals-john-woodens-wins-total?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

images

Career Record (major schools): 32 Years, 670-311, .683 W-L%
Schools: Montana (154-77), Stanford (392-168) and California (124-66)

Conference Champion: 6 Times (Reg. Seas.), 1 Time (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 16 Years (18-16), 1 Final Four, 0 Championships
... Before helping Stanford's ascend to the national stage, Montgomery oversaw the Montana program for eight years (1978-86). His teams averaged 19 wins per year, never had a losing season and earned two NIT selections. Montgomery guided the Grizzlies to five runner-up finishes in the Big Sky Conference and won at least 20 games each of his last four seasons.

Prior to accepting the head position at Montana, Montgomery served as an assistant coach there for two years. While he was with the Grizzlies, the university had four players drafted by the NBA: John Schroeder, Derrick Pope, Marc Glass and Larry Krystkowiak. In addition, Montgomery has been an assistant coach at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, Colorado State, the Citadel, Florida and Boise State.

Back