• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cat-Griz Quiz

Starting in 2010 to now ......

• The series is led by the Griz 5-3 if you count the 'vacated' win

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • The series is tied 4-4 officially

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • The series is led by the Bobcats 5-3 counting the vacated win

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • The series is led by the Bobcats 4-3 officially

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • The series is led by the Griz 8-0 or 7-0 officially

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The series is led by the Bobcats 8-0

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JDoub

testing knowledge of the series

Interesting tid-bit: The series has just one other decade (starting with years xxx0) which reflects this on-field record

I thought the series had been going on for longer than 8 years.

Let's start from 1985.

Where is "Bobcats Suck" in the poll?

Player Rep is right. What is the relevance(to Griz fans)of the dates you cherry picked? Admittedly, you are a cat fan. Let's put a title to the 2010-18 period:
1) The 'Phew! Bobby Hauck's is finally gone' period?
2) Ah, the 'Pflu-Delaney-Stitt reprieve' period?
3) Perhaps, the 'Engstrom inspired irrelevance' period.

How about the 1986-2001 period, much more interesting to Griz fans. And, it comes with its own title: "THE STREAK!"

PlayerRep said:

That would be the second to last choice

statler & waldorf said:
Player Rep is right. What is the relevance(to Griz fans)of the dates you cherry picked?

I "cherry picked" THIS decade. The one we are living in NOW. Or is this decade not relevant to Griz fans?

JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

That would be the second to last choice

statler & waldorf said:
Player Rep is right. What is the relevance(to Griz fans)of the dates you cherry picked?

I "cherry picked" THIS decade. The one we are living in NOW. Or is this decade not relevant to Griz fans?

Okay, let's do 2010 - 2014. Stitt years don't count. We need the ncaa year, because UM won and Cats lost.

You could use the 'edit' function to include your explanation into your original post, jDoub. Didn't mean to pick a scab...well, actually, I did! :lol: :thumb:

statler & waldorf said:
Player Rep is right. What is the relevance(to Griz fans)of the dates you cherry picked?Admittedly, you are a cat fan. Let's put a title to the 2010-18 period:

I know this has been beaten to death, but as its been pointed out before, either side can cherry pick certain dates to "prove their point". I think OP's dates are relevant because they're this most recent and the current decade, period.

You point out the streak, yes, that sucked for Cat fans. But you're "cherry picking" that start date too. Look at the 30 years prior to the beginning of the streak, the Cats went 22-8 against the Griz from 56'-85'.

Before that, it was downright ugly for the Cats, going 4-37-5 in a 46 year span, after starting the series 6-3.

The overall record is what it is, I'd brag about it too if it was in the favor of the Cats, but I think the most relevant and apples to apples comparison that can be made is either starting in 57' when they were both officially members of the NCAA or 63' when they both were charter members of the Big Sky.
Since 63' it's 24-30, in favor of the Griz.
Since 57' it's 28-32, in favor of the Griz.

I know there is a lot of pride on this site when it comes to the overall record (justifiably so), and I'm certainly not going to sway anyone from that point of view, just throwing some facts out there.

Good post. Basically, if you go on the others web site, and talk unsubstantiated, unexplained bullshit, que sera, sera. No one doubts the cats relative resurgence and Griz decline. Compound that with the different ages, and thus, experiences of various posters, relevance takes on a whole new perspective. I prefer to live in the 'relatively' recent past. It's more pleasant, from a 'older' Griz perspective.

statler & waldorf said:
You could use the 'edit' function to include your explanation into your original post, jDoub. Didn't mean to pick a scab...well, actually, I did! :lol: :thumb:
actually, no I didn't

simple exercise from a simple mind -- how closely does perception match reality, including my own

perceptions contain fascinating bias, I did this informally going into DeNarius McGhee's final game (which was an embarrassment to us Cat fans) and was genuinely surprised at the answers -- significantly skewed towards the Griz and way off the true record, even among Cat fans. Likely after effects of the Streak and Griz dominance in the 90's-2000's. But the current decade seems to have reset many perceptions and expectations. I'm a recovering engineer with dabbling interests like this.

PlayerRep said:
I thought the series had been going on for longer than 8 years.

Let's start from 1985.

Yes, where is the correct answer choice ?

The series this decade is led by the Bobcats 4-3 officially, on the field it's 4-4, the Griz had to vacate the 2011 win

JDoub said:
The series this decade is led by the Bobcats 4-3 officially, on the field it's 4-4, the Griz had to vacate the 2011 win

I take it that you prefer to measure things off the field? Consistent with pre-season national championship.

JDoub said:

Since there was no year zero, the very first decade was 1-10.

So the current decade runs from 2011-2020.

So the correct answer is 3-3 officially, and Griz lead 4-3 on the field.

When does the season start? šŸ˜‰

There is only one statistic that counts in this rivalry, and that is 73-39, (ties are not considered)!

You can pick a decade or so to show a trend but to use a cherry picked period in a rivalry spanning over a century to draw a conclusion about who the best team at this point in time is both statistically and historically inaccurate. Particularly in a series with the ebbs and flows of this one.

Gaeilge1 said:
There is only one statistic that counts in this rivalry, and that is 73-39, (ties are not considered)!

You can pick a decade or so to show a trend but to use a cherry picked period in a rivalry spanning over a century to draw a conclusion about who the best team at this point in time is both statistically and historically inaccurate. Particularly in a series with the ebbs and flows of this one.

And to look at numbers that paint a more realistic picture of how the programs have stacked up against one another over time, you should really just look at the years where the two teams played in the same division. I mean, I know that doesn't make the numbers look so lopsided for your guys but it's really the only fair way to look at it. Don't get me wrong, I really could give a couple shits about how much you want to brag about beating up on a team when the odds are stacked in your favor but go for it if it makes you happy. One comparison is in say boxing or wrestling. If I'm a good boxer and I fight in the middle weight division, but end up fighting guys that are welter weights, and kick their asses, I wouldn't exactly brag too much about that accomplishment.

Back