• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gabe Peppenger - Kicker

PlayerRep

Didn't kick for Mont. St. this spring, after being the starting kicker for most of the 2 prior years. May transfer to UM, at least for school.

Kicking stats:

2016 MONT ST 10 9 for 13 69.0% 0 4 4 5 0 0 4 3 2 0 44 25 25

2017 MONT ST 9 5 for 8 62.0% 0 4 3 1 0 0 4 1 0 0 34 30 31

12-15 from 39 and under. No attempts over 50. 55-56 on extra points. Long of 44. Not good percentage 40 and over. Averaged 58.4 yards on kickoffs in 2017. 13 touch backs on 46 kickoffs in 2017. 1 out of bounds.

See link for better ability to read stats. https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gabe-peppenger-player-stats

mtgrizfankb said:
we have pretty good kickers on the roster currently

Yup.

2 year stats. The UM kickers basically kicked only 1 year. GP kicked as true frosh and soph.

I used only FG stats from 39 and in, as GP has not been accurate outside of 39 and both UM kickers seem to be more accurate from 40 and over.

GP: 12-15 in FG's. 55-56 for extra points.

Semenza: 11-12. 33-42.

Purdy: 14-15. 42-44.

Purdy was hurt during spring ball. Don't know what, but assume it wasn't a big deal.

GP wasn't on scholarship at MSU, so assume he doesn't have to sit out a year.

We could have had him for a PWO when he came out of High School. Staff basically showed zero interest.

PlayerRep said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Yup.

2 year stats. The UM kickers basically kicked only 1 year. GP kicked as true frosh and soph.

I used only FG stats from 39 and in, as GP has not been accurate outside of 39 and both UM kickers seem to be more accurate from 40 and over.

Purdy was hurt during spring ball. Don't know what, but assume it wasn't a big deal.

Scholarship or not, transfer rules still apply.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Yup.

Scholarship or not, transfer rules still apply.

Yes, transfer rules apply. But there are exceptions for one-time transfers even for D-I football. Take a look at these blurbs from the ncaa. It may depend on whether GP contacted MSU, and whether MSU coaches called GP more than once or paid for a visit for him. If GP won't be eligible this fall, why would they use a PWO slot for him for fall practice?

"One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school."

"Recruited: If a college coach calls you more than once, contacts you off campus, pays your expenses to visit the campus, or in Divisions I and II, issues you a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of financial aid, you are considered to be recruited. In Division I, a written offer of financial aid to attend summer school before full-time enrollment does not mean you have been recruited."

"Walk-on: Someone who is not typically recruited by a school to participate in sports and does not receive a scholarship from the school, but who becomes a member of one of the school’s athletics teams."

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

grizpack said:
I am pretty sure Gabe was a PWO for the Cats.

Correct. http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana-state-football-sentinel-s-peppenger-to-play-for-bobcats/article_e3d99700-f6c6-50af-92e5-035c351d52cd.html

From looking at the ncaa rules, a PWO doesn't necessarily mean that the kid was recruited. In fact, if GP hadn't been recruited at all by UM in the past, the current situation looks like it could be just such a situation. If these were the facts, and I don't know the facts, GP decides not to play to MSU, finishes spring term at MSU, comes home to Missoula planning to enroll at UM, walks into the football offices, tells coaches he wants to walk on at UM, and coaches say he can come to fall camp (as a PWO). Therefore, wasn't recruited by UM. Again, I don't know what appears to be occurring now, nor to I know how MSU recruited or didn't recruit GP. And, if he is being offered a PWO, it would seem odd that they would use a slot for a player who wouldn't be eligible this fall. Not only is this all that I know, it's more than I know. Ha.

mtgrizfankb said:

I beg to differ. Purdy is ok, but Semenza is terrible. He only made 33-42 PATs 2 years ago, which is about the worst percentage I have ever heard of since the 70's, and should never be given a FG/PAT ever again. Both Purdy and Semenza's career long FG is 47 yards. Purdy has never had a kickoff go for a touchback, which is the only reason Semenza is still around. Semenza can kick it deep, but with such a low trajectory it is creates great kick return potential. I think you're gonna see a plethora of gimmick kick-offs and a continuation of going for it on 4th down in enemy territory out of Hauck with 2 sub-par kickers. Punter Erik Williams has a good leg and might (should) be the kickoff guy full-time, IMO. Not sure who these "pretty good kickers" are you are talking about, but those 2 are not gonna make me forget about Carpenter, Heppner or Larson.

Zirg said:
mtgrizfankb said:

I beg to differ. Purdy is ok, but Semenza is terrible. He only made 33-42 PATs 2 years ago, which is about the worst percentage I have ever heard of since the 70's, and should never be given a FG/PAT ever again. Both Purdy and Semenza's career long FG is 47 yards. Purdy has never had a kickoff go for a touchback, which is the only reason Semenza is still around. Semenza can kick it deep, but with such a low trajectory it is creates great kick return potential. I think you're gonna see a plethora of gimmick kick-offs and a continuation of going for it on 4th down in enemy territory out of Hauck with 2 sub-par kickers. Punter Erik Williams has a good leg and might (should) be the kickoff guy full-time, IMO. Not sure who these "pretty good kickers" are you are talking about, but those 2 are not gonna make me forget about Carpenter, Heppner or Larson.

you mean when they were freshman? hmm i remember some NFL kickers that played for us that were bad freshman year. Purdy has been getting consistent year over year and has added length every year. still only a junior. Purdy was at 88% FG last year and is 85% for his career. like i said...has added length every year. Oh and one of his 1 misses last year was a block on a missed assignment on the line. So yea that pretty damn good for a kicker. Dan Carpenter...your hero....was 80% his junior year with a long of 50. Purdy was at 47 and had more last year. Next time you wanna trash on a kid. Do some research because you're a joke. Purdy is a "pretty good kicker"

Zirg said:
mtgrizfankb said:

also BTW Carpenter had a 62% rate his freshman year...once again...behind purdy and he was way behind as a sophomore.

Latest posts

Back