• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The NCAA … On Top of Things (As Usual)

IdaGriz01

We all know the NCAA has a lot on its plate that involves football (not to mention basketball payola, etc.): Concussion protocols, “cost of attendance” scholarships (paying players), kick-off fair catches, and on and on.

But is there any issue more important than … headsets?

Wait for it. :(

Wait for it. ;)

Bingo!
AP said:
The NCAA approved a rule limiting the number [of] people who can communicate through headsets during a game to 20 per team, including 15 coaches.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved the proposal from the football oversight committee on Friday. The head coach, assistants and graduate assistants are allowed to be on headsets during a game, along with four players and one other staffer who is a non-coaching role such as charting plays.

The Division I Football Oversight Committee spearheaded the rules change, which is intended to clarify and limit the maximum number of headsets while still allowing adequate coaching and student-athlete teaching opportunities.

Headsets used for game operations, security, or medical do not count among the 20 for a team.
Now I can (with some difficulty) dream up a few rational rationales for this vital rule change, but none of them really make the cut.

:wtf:

I know that I will sleep more peacefully tonight knowing that we don't have to worry about this issue anymore!

You realize these rules are not made by some guy in the NCAA corporate office but by a committee of people usually made up of coaches and/or administrators. It's their way of policing themselves and their peers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gaeilge1 said:
I know that I will sleep more peacefully tonight knowing that we don't have to worry about this issue anymore!

Like the UNC scandal, thank god we won't have to worry about that anymore. NOT GUILTY :roll:

I thought the end of the UNC class scandal was to force University of Northern Colorado to play all their home games in Greeley.

IdaGriz01 said:
We all know the NCAA has a lot on its plate that involves football (not to mention basketball payola, etc.): Concussion protocols, “cost of attendance” scholarships (paying players), kick-off fair catches, and on and on.

But is there any issue more important than … headsets?

Wait for it. :(

Wait for it. ;)

Bingo!
AP said:
The NCAA approved a rule limiting the number [of] people who can communicate through headsets during a game to 20 per team, including 15 coaches.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved the proposal from the football oversight committee on Friday. The head coach, assistants and graduate assistants are allowed to be on headsets during a game, along with four players and one other staffer who is a non-coaching role such as charting plays.

The Division I Football Oversight Committee spearheaded the rules change, which is intended to clarify and limit the maximum number of headsets while still allowing adequate coaching and student-athlete teaching opportunities.

Headsets used for game operations, security, or medical do not count among the 20 for a team.
Now I can (with some difficulty) dream up a few rational rationales for this vital rule change, but none of them really make the cut.

I thought this was interesting. High schools in the larger football states will frequently have more than 20 on headsets.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23652092/gus-malzahn-auburn-tigers-says-ncaa-headset-rule-hurt-quality-college-football

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
I thought this was interesting. High schools in the larger football states will frequently have more than 20 on headsets.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23652092/gus-malzahn-auburn-tigers-says-ncaa-headset-rule-hurt-quality-college-football
Some excerpts from the article:
Scarborough said:
Auburn's Gus Malzahn: NCAA headset rule will hurt college football

Malzahn's comments came a day after Alabama coach Nick Saban questioned the rule as well.

"I don't know who is driving all this stuff," Saban said, "but to me it's kind of like mouse manure when you're up to your ears in elephant doo-doo."

"We've got a lot of people that are not football coaches making decisions for football," he said. "I think if we had more football coaches involved in the decision making it would be better for our game."
IdaGriz01 said:

Still can't figure this one, either way. First, I don't really understand the need for even 20 headsets -- that's almost one for every player on offense and defense. Are you individually charting what every position on the field does for every play? Seems like you'd soon have information overload. But so what? If they can find uses for that many, or more ... Why not?

The only (weak) reason I can see for this limit is PC -- that is, "fairness." Those things aren't cheap -- especially ones that can handle that many units -- and programs that are financially marginal cannot afford them. Not to mention the fact that they can't afford enough staff to wear that many :) .

IdaGriz01 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Some excerpts from the article:
Scarborough said:
Auburn's Gus Malzahn: NCAA headset rule will hurt college football

Malzahn's comments came a day after Alabama coach Nick Saban questioned the rule as well.

"I don't know who is driving all this stuff," Saban said, "but to me it's kind of like mouse manure when you're up to your ears in elephant doo-doo."

"We've got a lot of people that are not football coaches making decisions for football," he said. "I think if we had more football coaches involved in the decision making it would be better for our game."
IdaGriz01 said:

Still can't figure this one, either way. First, I don't really understand the need for even 20 headsets -- that's almost one for every player on offense and defense. Are you individually charting what every position on the field does for every play? Seems like you'd soon have information overload. But so what? If they can find uses for that many, or more ... Why not?

The only (weak) reason I can see for this limit is PC -- that is, "fairness." Those things aren't cheap -- especially ones that can handle that many units -- and programs that are financially marginal cannot afford them. Not to mention the fact that they can't afford enough staff to wear that many :) .

They changed quarterbacks at halftime of the championship game and I believe went after Georgia's All-American cornerback and linebackers. I believe one of Smart's understudies knew how to limit what Smart did while coaching with Saban.

Lots of room for cheating here now. Video feeds of plays ought to be next I suppose.

violin said:
You realize these rules are not made by some guy in the NCAA corporate office but by a committee of people usually made up of coaches and/or administrators. It's their way of policing themselves and their peers.
Setting aside the question how well big-time football polices itself ;) ...

Re: The article linked by CatGrad-etc. If Nick Saban and the Auburn coach are bitching about the rule, the committee is probably onto something. :lol:

Back