• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Dissly (Bozeman HS) Drafted by...

I won't lie. I was SHOCKED this guy got drafted. I know there is more to being a Tight End than receiving, but he only had 25 career catches and all 3 TDS came against Big Sky schools. Just saying.

Zirg said:
I won't lie. I was SHOCKED this guy got drafted. I know there is more to being a Tight End than receiving, but he only had 25 career catches and all 3 TDS came against Big Sky schools. Just saying.
You shouldn't have been. There is a reason PAC 12 coaches voted him 2nd Team All PAC 12 at TE this year. He is the best blocking TE in the country and a difference maker in the run game. I talked to him and his family after the Griz-Husky game this year and they are good folks (even though they are Bobcats)

WaGriz4life said:
Zirg said:
You shouldn't have been. There is a reason PAC 12 coaches voted him 2nd Team All PAC 12 at TE this year. He is the best blocking TE in the country and a difference maker in the run game. I talked to him and his family after the Griz-Husky game this year and they are good folks (even though they are Bobcats)

Paul Dissly (Will's father) went to UM, so I beg to differ he is a Bobcat. In fact I made some pretty good $ at Stocks betting he could pick up a full pitcher of beer with his teeth & drink it to the last drop.

WaGriz4life said:
Zirg said:
Agreed. I got a real good look at Dissly too at the Griz game and the dude looked freakishly humongous

PlayerRep said:
Didn't Dissly play d-line for some of his career at UW? Hard to get many receptions from d-lne.
He did. His first couple years i believe. Coach Peterson moved him to TE when he saw him jump into a 7 on 7 drill for fun during. Bowl game practice.

Dillon said:
WaGriz4life said:
Zirg said:

Paul Dissly (Will's father) went to UM, so I beg to differ he is a Bobcat. In fact I made some pretty good $ at Stocks betting he could pick up a full pitcher of beer with his teeth & drink it to the last drop.
Did not know that. I just remember his brother Nick playing basketball for the Bobcats recently. Most ridiculous athlete I've seen on a MT high school basketball court.

Dillon said:
WaGriz4life said:
Zirg said:

Consider Dave and Gary Gustafson from Simms. One played basketball for UM and the other played football for MSU. There used to be civil and mutual respect for each other as opponents.

WaGriz4life said:
Dillon said:
WaGriz4life said:
Zirg said:

Did not know that. I just remember his brother Nick playing basketball for the Bobcats recently. Most ridiculous athlete I've seen on a MT high school basketball court.

That Bozeman High team they had his senior year was one of the best I have ever seen. The starting 5 had 4 players that played college ball at some level (Dissly, Townsly, Owesly and can't remember the 4th)

SACCAT66 said:
WaGriz4life said:
Dillon said:
WaGriz4life said:

That Bozeman High team they had his senior year was one of the best I have ever seen. The starting 5 had 4 players that played college ball at some level (Dissly, Townsly, Owesly and can't remember the 4th)

My high flying Hawks year had 2 Wash St, 1 Alabama, several MSU, and 1 Dartmouth. Also, Oregon track (pole vault). Prior year had Colorado, Wyoming, and several MSU. Also Wash St basketball and ASU wrestling. All but 1 had athletic schoolies (Ivies don't have them).

PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
WaGriz4life said:
Dillon said:

My high flying Hawks year had 2 Wash St, 1 Alabama, several MSU, and 1 Dartmouth. Also, Oregon track (pole vault). Prior year had Colorado, Wyoming, and several MSU. Also Wash St basketball and ASU wrestling. All but 1 had athletic schoolies (Ivies don't have them).

I would suspect you mean the 66 basketball team with the Smiley brothers, Stiff, Ogle, Winchester, etc. that "lost" the semifinal game in divisional of the Big 32? Glenn played for Duke as I recall. The younger Smiley kid (Jim?) went to WSU on a track scholarship to throw the javelin.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
WaGriz4life said:

I would suspect you mean the 66 basketball team with the Smiley brothers, Stiff, Ogle, Winchester, etc. that "lost" the semifinal game in divisional of the Big 32? Glenn played for Duke as I recall. The younger Smiley kid (Jim?) went to WSU on a track scholarship to throw the javelin.

Note quite. Later. Jim Smiley played hoops at Wash St. Jud Heathcote was an asst at WSU at the time. May have thrown the javelin too but don't think so in college. The Anaconda kid, Meredith, also played hoops for Wash St. then. The '66 team was undefeated when it lost out at divisionals.

PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:

Note quite. Later. Jim Smiley played hoops at Wash St. Jud Heathcote was an asst at WSU at the time. May have thrown the javelin too but don't think so in college. The Anaconda kid, Meredith, also played hoops for Wash St. then. The '66 team was undefeated when it lost out at divisionals.

I will always remember that "upset" at divisionals along with Wolf Point losing to Great Falls the year after they won the Big 32. Still hard to understand why grown men did that stuff to kids, even though I could not stand Bozeman High. Much preferred the Rosary kids.

SACCAT66 said:
WaGriz4life said:
Dillon said:
WaGriz4life said:

Did Roderick ever play with this group? Thought he was one of the best MT high schoolers I've seen.

Some Bozeman high backfields. QB and 2 RB's.

Bissel (Boise St), Schmidt (UM0, Manning (Dartmouth). In college, receiver, RB, cornerback.

Mine was Alabama, Wash St, Dartmouth. In college, linebacker, cornerback, and cornerback.

I was told the Bozeman high team was Shane Collins and Corey Widmer, both of played in the NFL, didn't win any games, but I think I once looked it up and they one a game or two.

I think at least 8 former Bozeman high players have played in the NFL since 1970. I think more than any other high school in MT.

I agree that Nick Dissly might be one of those most athletic MT high school kids I've ever seen. I remember watching a game when he played for the Cats, and he jumped up I think trying to block a shot, I don't remember the circumstances exactly but he slapped the backboard about 3/4 of the way up. He had to be careful not to hit his head on the rim quite a bit through his career.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:

I will always remember that "upset" at divisionals along with Wolf Point losing to Great Falls the year after they won the Big 32. Still hard to understand why grown men did that stuff to kids, even though I could not stand Bozeman High. Much preferred the Rosary kids.

Wolf Point won the Big 32 in ‘68. The next year Butte Central beat them in the opening round 46-40.

The undefeated Bozeman team in ‘66 lost to Butte Central. Mike Judd hit the game winner.

Back