• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Player Discussion D-Line

Diesel

Player discussion D-Line:

Personnel wise a strength for the team. Concerns quick QB pressure without blitzing and lack of edge speed if Sims is playing DE. Coaches were getting this group to be a tight knit group. Three SRs and three JRs position group with experience.

Jesse Sims JR David Shaw SR L. Brown FR
Cy Sirmon JR Kyle Davis SR M. Mamula FR
Chis Favoroso JR Reggie Tillman SR A. Gubner FR
Randy Rodriguez SO Eli Alford FR
Cole Rosling SO
Devin Maua SO
Braydon Deming FR
RJ Nelson FR

Are we saying that Sims has inside strength and should normally be playing there but lacks the desired quickness to playing DE? I don't know enough about football to make that observation.

717s7e said:
Are we saying that Sims has inside strength and should normally be playing there but lacks the desired quickness to playing DE? I don't know enough about football to make that observation.

Lack of quick twitch was former staff's reason for Sims playing DT, he looked good at DE this spring although quick players were able to get around the edge on his side from time to time. His experience and ability to force his positioning will get him in good position, the dreaded ability to tackle in space will come into play.

RJ Nelson might be that edge guy for us. He ran with the “1s” and think he can be it while young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel said:
Player discussion D-Line:

Personnel wise a strength for the team. Concerns quick QB pressure without blitzing and lack of edge speed if Sims is playing DE. Coaches were getting this group to be a tight knit group. Three SRs and three JRs position group with experience.

Jesse Sims JR David Shaw SR L. Brown FR
Cy Sirmon JR Kyle Davis SR M. Mamula FR
Chis Favoroso JR Reggie Tillman SR A. Gubner FR
Randy Rodriguez SO Eli Alford FR
Cole Rosling SO
Devin Maua SO
Braydon Deming FR
RJ Nelson FR

Don't sleep on Reggie Tilleman, dude had the best spring of the group (IMO).

Whats the scoop with Favarosso and Rodriguez? Shocked one isn’t with 1’s. I love the development of Nelson and Deming but didn’t think they would possibly jump those two in spring? Favarosso really played well at times last year down stretch. Rodriguez has a ton of potential I thought as well.

Also, who we gonna play at d-tackle in 19 - if Sims D-end and Shaw/Tilleman/Davis graduating. I hope we get some development/reps this fall from Alford, (maybe move Longoria back - some of you might know those plans) and is Gubner maybe only incoming frosh who might not redshirt?

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
Whats the scoop with Favarosso and Rodriguez? Shocked one isn’t with 1’s. I love the development of Nelson and Deming but didn’t think they would possibly jump those two in spring? Favarosso really played well at times last year down stretch. Rodriguez has a ton of potential I thought as well.

Also, who we gonna play at d-tackle in 19 - if Sims D-end and Shaw/Tilleman graduating. I hope we get some development/reps this fall from Alford, (maybe move Longoria back - some of you might know those plans) and is Gubner only incoming frosh who won’t redshirt?

I didn't know Gubner was not redshirting. Why?

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

Also, who we gonna play at d-tackle in 19 - if Sims D-end and Shaw/Tilleman graduating. I hope we get some development/reps this fall from Alford, (maybe move Longoria back - some of you might know those plans) and is Gubner only incoming frosh who won’t redshirt?

K. Davis and R. Tillman are the other two DTs graduating this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see Longoria back at DT he looks like a 3-4 NT. Wouldn't worry about the lack of playing time in spring for some of the players. Many younger guys got reps. Favorosso I believe has the most sacks last year for returning players, would think coaches know what they got with him. R. Rodriguez is a solid player.

Yukon said:
I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

Above list had all player including redshirts. Spacing got jacked up on D-Line players list also. Sorry.

Yukon said:
I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

Sorry should have put “might not” redshirt.

Semore & Stitt screwed up moving Kidder from tackle to end. The difference here is that Stitt deferred to Semore, & Semore had about 59 minutes of coordinator experience when he decided to do so. Baer & Sacks have about 75 years between them so I’d defer to their judgement as to where Sims might best contribute within the schemes they’re playing. But it shouldn’t surprise anyone if he winds up playing two or three spots in the Baer/Sacks scheme.

bgbigdog said:
Semore & Stitt screwed up moving Kidder from tackle to end. The difference here is that Stitt deferred to Semore, & Semore had about 59 minutes of coordinator experience when he decided to do so. Baer & Sacks have about 75 years between them so I’d defer to their judgement as to where Sims might best contribute within the schemes they’re playing. But it shouldn’t surprise anyone if he winds up playing two or three spots in the Baer/Sacks scheme.

I agree with you. Sims playing outside in with his strength at end seals that side, doubt teams will run at him. Edge can be patrolled by a backer or secondary player, to expect Jesse to protect edge without help puts the big guy at a disadvantage against speedsters in open space. He is diverse enough to play end and tackle and his endurance keeps him on the field for most snaps. Jesse is a great player and with a experienced coaching staff they will help him to excel. Paired with Shaw next to him they work well together.

Sims never should have been moved to tackle. He's actually a pretty fast and agile kid for his size. Remember his BB days? He had to put on a lot of weight to beef up for DT which he is in the process of losing. Won't be a while lot left but muscle come August.

I think he will do just fine.

Biggest concern with this team (imo) is the lack of pass rushers at DE. That plus a thin secondary makes things pretty difficult.

griz5700 said:
Biggest concern with this team (imo) is the lack of pass rushers at DE. That plus a thin secondary makes things pretty difficult.

Not my biggest concern, but certainly a "top 3" concern. I THINK we will have two great edge rushers in Favoroso and Rodriguez but they need to show that. In the recent stretch of Schye, Kidder, Wags, and Holmes there was always that one guy that teams had to prepare for and those of us that watched practice would see stand out. So far... dunno...

Corner play/depth my top concern. O-line experience/depth in the "top 3"

griz5700 said:

Scheme and coaching this spring may give a precursor to some of the solutions to lack of QB pressure. With the diversity in players there looks to be more line games and blitz packages that have been missing. RJ had some good edge speed also. Back to scheme with off coverage and CBs facing the line of scrimmage and some zone combos in backfield this should cause offensive plays to take longer to develop helping the front rushers to get to the QB. Look for the defense to dictate to the offense more and less chasing one step behind. The spring game was a opportunity for reps and give a fan experience. The practices on the otherhand gave the coaches opportunities to clarify to the players how they should play. This staff demands correct execution on defense. Doubt players will have confusion as seen by pryor staff. D-line has players with experience, the hounds will be unleashed this year.

BWahlberg said:
griz5700 said:

Not my biggest concern, but certainly a "top 3" concern. I THINK we will have two great edge rushers in Favoroso and Rodriguez but they need to show that. In the recent stretch of Schye, Kidder, Wags, and Holmes there was always that one guy that teams had to prepare for and those of us that watched practice would see stand out. So far... dunno...

Corner play/depth my top concern. O-line experience/depth in the "top 3"

Corner is a concern for sure, but not having that reliable productive rusher at DE will make that area all the more vulnerable. Especially with the style Hauck (usually) plays on D.

Now if you had a wagemann and a holmes on the edge...CB instantly becomes a depth and recruiting problem, not a 2018 problem.

Not sure I see Favoroso or Rodriguez filling that role, but ya never know. That would be a huge help to this D.

Still think the best option is to put Sims at DE. let him man handle the Tackle, set the edge, and then get creative with bringing pressure from LBs. Play him like a 3-4 DE and let the LBs play around him.

Note that when Hauck first arrived at UM after Glenn, he he told the starters that they would have to earn their starting spots again. Totally pissed them off. I think all of them did earn their spots. They still hate him. Wonder if some of that could be going on again. I assume Hauck sees this as motivation for starters to improve and back ups to improve as they push the starters, or even get early reps ahead of them.

Back