• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Here's a good reason Tom Crady is being moved along

PlayerRep

Jeez, how dumb and petty is this guy?

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-president-s-wife-seeks-extremely-confidential-info/article_e5c72ed2-1fc7-51ef-973d-db4ddaa28ec5.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Dumb enough to get 70 large as a signing bonus but headed out. The question is, who was dumb enough to give him that. No names please, it won't be said on this board.

Met him once. Seemed pretty intelligent and focused, but also arrogant, sensitive, and not the type that would listen to others. Just gut feel. Not surprised he would do this...

Kind of a petty parting shot, to be sure.

I agree that it's a bit of a bad look for a non-employee of UM requesting those things, especially with all of the data privacy issues going on in other industries, but as long as the data is anonymized and all regulations are followed, the data itself shouldn't be a problem. And if the data isn't a problem, this isn't nearly as bad as it seems. There's nothing to suggest that Elander has possessed or given compromising data to anyone.

It also amazes me how transparent the Missoulian's disdain for UM is.

Likely just pouting. Sounds like he dropped the ball but rules are rules and privacy is important.

I'm sure everything he did was always by the book, actually maybe it was. I bet he could get a job at the Forest Circus.

PlayerRep said:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-president-s-wife-seeks-extremely-confidential-info/article_e5c72ed2-1fc7-51ef-973d-db4ddaa28ec5.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

This is a travesty. It is, at face value, as if there are employees of this university who have been deliberately sabotaging this school for whatever reason. Internal sabotage.

uofmman1122 said:

I agree that it's a bit of a bad look for a non-employee of UM requesting those things, especially with all of the data privacy issues going on in other industries, but as long as the data is anonymized and all regulations are followed, the data itself shouldn't be a problem. And if the data isn't a problem, this isn't nearly as bad as it seems. There's nothing to suggest that Elander has possessed or given compromising data to anyone.

It isn't the data collecting that is the problem but what and who will it be for and just why would UM be interested in the religion of a student? With the Facebook stuff going on, I would think people would be a bit more cautious about data and how it is handled. I do not see anything wrong for the Missoulian or any newspaper making all this public. After all, UM is a public institution. I think Crady is absolutely correct. I know nothing about UM's new President other than what comes in the mail and I am happy his wife is dedicated to the U, but is she really entitled to access records or have them given her? Somehow, that just doesn't sound right even if it is meant for the success of a project. Is she bondable or should she be?

GrizLA said:
uofmman1122 said:

It isn't the data collecting that is the problem but what and who will it be for and just why would UM be interested in the religion of a student? With the Facebook stuff going on, I would think people would be a bit more cautious about data and how it is handled. I do not see anything wrong for the Missoulian or any newspaper making all this public. After all, UM is a public institution. I think Crady is absolutely correct. I know nothing about UM's new President other than what comes in the mail and I am happy his wife is dedicated to the U, but is she really entitled to access records or have them given her? Somehow, that just doesn't sound right even if it is meant for the success of a project. Is she bondable or should she be?
No, I totally agree. If the data collected contains non-anonymized identifiers of real prospective or current students in conjunction with extremely personal information, and if Elander has/had that data, or gave it it anyone else, that is a huge problem.

It doesn't seem like either of those things are the case, just from reading the article, though.

If it turns out that UM, Elander, or someone else violated privacy provisions or laws in getting/giving this data to Messina's firm, that absolutely should be investigated, and would be an incredibly awful start to Bodnar's presidency.

I love Elander's enthusiasm, and I doubt any of this is malicious in nature, but I do think it's probably better if she doesn't have anything to do with the data from here on out.

PlayerRep said:

sounds to me like another instance of mr and mrs bodnar not knowing how a university works, and also, seemingly, not caring about the appearance of nepotism. would you like it if your bosses' wife, who has no identifiable relevant experience and answers to no one in your firm, started requesting detailed client records, etc? this actually looks quite bad, especially if she hasn't taken all the student (and prospective student) privacy training required of everyone else in the university. in case you haven't noticed, it is the university of montana, not bodnar state. it doesn't surprise me that you don't see the gross arrogance and potential illegalities in her actions, and how that would rub some the wrong way, but that's what the bodnar's are seemingly up to. another lesson for the non-academic to learn...

I’m surprised by the hate for Seth and his wife in this thread... they are the best thing to happen to UM in a very, very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our past regime had offers of free help and assistance by the Messina Group to dial in recruiting and improve that area....the idiots turned it down and continued to let the ship sink.

Bodnar takes a massive step in the right direction and takes the Messina Group up in its offer of help....very smart IMO.

Bodnar's wife becomes the middle party connecting the two when university folks sit on their hands and provide no assistance to the Messina Group. This Group needs relevant data to do their thing and do it well and Bodnar's wife was only trying to speed that process up and move it along. I appreciate her passion and appreciate the fact this president and leaders are sick of watching the UM flounder.

GrizMusician said:
I’m surprised by the hate for Seth and his wife in this thread... they are the best thing to happen to UM in a very, very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think you are reading criticism as hate. also, bodnar hasn't accomplished anything yet, so there is some push-back in response to him being anointed um's savior by some on here, just because he was in the military.

in my view it is the faculty who are unjustifiably the target of most of egriz's derision, even though most on here have no real clue how universities actually operate.

HookedonGriz said:
Our past regime had offers of free help and assistance by the Messina Group to dial in recruiting and improve that area....the idiots turned it down and continued to let the ship sink.

Bodnar takes a massive step in the right direction and takes the Messina Group up in its offer of help....very smart IMO.

Bodnar's wife becomes the middle party connecting the two when university folks sit on their hands and provide no assistance to the Messina Group. This Group needs relevant data to do their thing and do it well and Bodnar's wife was only trying to speed that process up and move it along. I appreciate her passion and appreciate the fact this president and leaders are sick of watching the UM flounder.

why didn't bodnar just appoint a university employee to be the liason? that would be the smart thing to do. instead, it sounds to me like his wife deemed herself fit for the job and just inserted herself in the mix.

as a comparison, how do you feel about jared and ivanka's positions in the government? were they qualified?

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

sounds to me like another instance of mr and mrs bodnar not knowing how a university works, and also, seemingly, not caring about the appearance of nepotism. would you like it if your bosses' wife, who has no identifiable relevant experience and answers to no one in your firm, started requesting detailed client records, etc? this actually looks quite bad, especially if she hasn't taken all the student (and prospective student) privacy training required of everyone else in the university. in case you haven't noticed, it is the university of montana, not bodnar state. it doesn't surprise me that you don't see the gross arrogance and potential illegalities in her actions, and how that would rub some the wrong way, but that's what the bodnar's are seemingly up to. another lesson for the non-academic to learn...

So you want royce back ?

Thanks to Chelsea for being proactive & helping our University. Hopefully everything will get turned around in the near future. I am Very Optimistic!

argh! said:
HookedonGriz said:

why didn't bodnar just appoint a university employee to be the liason? that would be the smart thing to do. instead, it sounds to me like his wife deemed herself fit for the job and just inserted herself in the mix.

as a comparison, how do you feel about jared and ivanka's positions in the government? were they qualified?

As a Rhoades Scholar and Harvard trained physician maybe she WAS the most qualified liaison EVER

The second I saw this thread, I immediately wondered how many pontificating, contrarian posts argh would already have.

This is my shocked face. :|

argh! said:
HookedonGriz said:

The president's office and much of the university is currently grossly understaffed. I see nothing wrong with the president of UM asking/authorizing his wife, someone whom he obviously knows very well, trusts, and talks to everyday, to identify and request information to be teed up to provide to the new consultant, once the contract is in place and the university counsel and others follow procedures and approve. Isn't that what the article said? The information hasn't even been provided yet, is what I read from the article.

Does anyone really think that his wife didn't have the authority from her husband to help get this process going? She doesn't have to be a UM employee to fulfill this role. Don't UM alums and volunteers do things for the university all the time, without being official employees? Also, she's smart and talented. A Rhodes Scholar. Harvard Med School.

UM, Missoula and Montana should be excited that someone like that is willing to pitch in to help, and without pay.

Whiners and complainers and the Missoulian continue to try to create controversy.

And this whiner, who didn't get the job done when he was here, leaks stuff to the Missoulian. The guy obviously has his nose bent out of shape, and can't even assist while still being paid and on his way out. Mr. Sour Grapes. Good riddance to him.

argh! said:
HookedonGriz said:

Is this a typical academic and bureaucratic response? Let's form a committee to study whether and how to request information to be readied for a new consultant that the university is looking to engage (at no cost). Let's consult all unions working on campus too. Let's set up a long timetable and complicated procedure to ensure that nothing gets done on a timely basis.

Back