• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Roster/Depth questions

alabamagrizzly

A couple more roster/depth questions for anyone who might know.
1) What position is MaKenzie Holt gonna play? I had heard that last year he was a good scout team DE and had been there in a lot of practices. I had also heard O line may be a possibility and this spring he changed his number from 90 to 69. Any insights?
2) Eli Alford was part of this years recruiting class as a DE from Air Force Prep I believe. He is listed on the spring roster and I know I seen him on the sideline of the spring game once or twice. So what will be his status for next year? Will he be a true Fr next year or is this a redshirt year for him?
3) Nick Fouch, Josh Deshner, Jared Thurber and Danny Burton were all true Fr last year and are the only players from last years class listed as true So’s on the spring roster. Is this because they were walk-ons(I thought Fouch is on scholarship) or did they get to play last year and burn their RS years?
4) I’m thinking depth at safety is a bigger concern then RB since we added two walk ons and a NAIA transfer. So my question is why isn’t Josh Deshner playing at safety instead of RB. I know he played LB in high school but I think he probably has back up safety speed since he’ll probably only be a backup RB also.

alabamagrizzly said:
1) What position is MaKenzie Holt gonna play? I had heard that last year he was a good scout team DE and had been there in a lot of practices. I had also heard O line may be a possibility and this spring he changed his number from 90 to 69. Any insights?
2) Eli Alford was part of this years recruiting class as a DE from Air Force Prep I believe. He is listed on the spring roster and I know I seen him on the sideline of the spring game once or twice. So what will be his status for next year? Will he be a true Fr next year or is this a redshirt year for him?
3) Nick Fouch, Josh Deshner, Jared Thurber and Danny Burton were all true Fr last year and are the only players from last years class listed as true So’s on the spring roster. Is this because they were walk-ons(I thought Fouch is on scholarship) or did they get to play last year and burn their RS years?
4) I’m thinking depth at safety is a bigger concern then RB since we added two walk ons and a NAIA transfer. So my question is why isn’t Josh Deshner playing at safety instead of RB. I know he played LB in high school but I think he probably has back up safety speed since he’ll probably only be a backup RB also.

Holt was second team OT. I think that’s where they seem him currently or least needed him there for depth. He did alright just is going to need to add on the weight which might take a year or two to get another 50-70 lbs of good weight on him. Definitely has way above average athleticism there. Alford played I believe in the spring game. Don’t really have an opinion or know on on your other points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Holt was second team OT. I think that’s where they seem him currently or least needed him there for depth. He did alright just is going to need to add on the weight which might take a year or two to get another 50-70 lbs of good weight on him. Definitely has way above average athleticism there. Alford played I believe in the spring game. Don’t really have an opinion or know on on your other points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alford played and looked decent at D tackle on Saturday. Pretty nice feet inside and pursued down the line of scrimmage well at times.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

These guys are all walk ons. Fouch's brother coming in, Nash, wash one of our most touted recruits signed in February.

go96griz said:

These guys are all walk ons. Fouch's brother coming in, Nash, wash one of our most touted recruits signed in February.

Thanks, that’s kinda what I was guessing. So will they be eligible for a 5th year if they want to play one more year after their Sr season? Same for Mitch McLaughlin this year. If he’s not graduated next year and wants to play again, can he?

AG based on the interviews after the spring game it sounds like the coaches were glad to get some reps for several players. Colter had a direct question on bringing in some transfers this summer. Bobby indicated that the staff was focused on who was currently on the team and next years playmakers, for the most part, were going to come from current roster.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock on what was presented on the field during spring scrimmage or spring game. A couple good players are FBs now and that position was not used. The defense stayed in a vanilla formation with a occasional blitz.

We as fans might just dial back on player predictions for this fall's depth chart. Too soon to say where the juggling is going to stop. There is a lot of diversity with the players on the roster, even some of last years starters may be playing different positions this year. The obvious changes are on the D-line and O-line and the two added positions on offense.

Alford who participated in spring ball and seems to be physically ready, may be in rotation this year. He seems to have made a case for the coaches to use him this year. Is there one or two more freshmen who others would point to, I'm not sure.

Nice to see the anticipation, wouldn't put much stock on what has been shown so far. Very positive with player buy in. Have not seen a mass exodus by players not wanting to be here. Spring ball was successful.

Diesel said:
AG based on the interviews after the spring game it sounds like the coaches were glad to get some reps for several players. Colter had a direct question on bringing in some transfers this summer. Bobby indicated that the staff was focused on who was currently on the team and next years playmakers, for the most part, were going to come from current roster.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock on what was presented on the field during spring scrimmage or spring game. A couple good players are FBs now and that position was not used. The defense stayed in a vanilla formation with a occasional blitz.

We as fans might just dial back on player predictions for this fall's depth chart. Too soon to say where the juggling is going to stop. There is a lot of diversity with the players on the roster, even some of last years starters may be playing different positions this year. The obvious changes are on the D-line and O-line and the two added positions on offense.

Alford who participated in spring ball and seems to be physically ready, may be in rotation this year. He seems to have made a case for the coaches to use him this year. Is there one or two more freshmen who others would point to, I'm not sure.

Nice to see the anticipation, wouldn't put much stock on what has been shown so far. Very positive with player buy in. Have not seen a mass exodus by players not wanting to be here. Spring ball was successful.

The coaches probably are still evaluating all the players from spring ball. If there were to be any players leaving, it would be shortly after the coaches complete evaluations, and provide the results to the players. Scholarships are renewed every June. A lot can happen between now and then. Speaking of scholarships, I wonder how many scholarships Hauck will put aside for possible transfers over the summer?

mtgrizrule said:
Diesel said:

The coaches probably are still evaluating all the players from spring ball. If there were to be any players leaving, it would be shortly after the coaches complete evaluations, and provide the results to the players. Scholarships are renewed every June. A lot can happen between now and then. Speaking of scholarships, I wonder how many scholarships Hauck will put aside for possible transfers over the summer?

I think he mentioned maybe holding onto 2, with some of the walk on's getting some aid because they've earned it.

AZDoc said:
I think he mentioned maybe holding onto 2, with some of the walk-on's getting some aid because they've earned it.
The fact that FCS schools can offer partial scholarships is a huge plus for football programs at this level. It's such a good thing ... it makes me wonder how the NCAA came to allow it :? :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
AZDoc said:
I think he mentioned maybe holding onto 2, with some of the walk-on's getting some aid because they've earned it.
The fact that FCS schools can offer partial scholarships is a huge plus for football programs at this level. It's such a good thing ... it makes me wonder how the NCAA came to allow it :? :lol:

There's a ring of truth there, no doubt! hahaha. This is especially true for in state kids. Give partial to negate tuition and then you get 2 kids for 1.

Diesel said:

Thanks Diesel. So my question is since Alford is participating this year in spring drills and enrolled in school, is he currently a Fr at the U and will he be a So this fall?

alabamagrizzly said:
Diesel said:

Thanks Diesel. So my question is since Alford is participating this year in spring drills and enrolled in school, is he currently a Fr at the U and will he be a So this fall?

Alford, Sims, and Shaw lined up with Rodriguez or Favoroso would give run stopping on one side and pass rush speed on the otherside. Olsen and Buss at LB. Then having the monster Robertson Saftey to blitz or enforce in the secondary. CBs will be playing off coverage facing the QB plus Epperly and Sandry if Sandry is healthy and can run like he did last spring...look out. The length and size of Roberson and Sandry could really pay dividends.

A lot can happen between now and fall, there are playmakers on all three levels of the defense. It will be interesting to see how things pan out this fall.

Then on offense Rosenbach with a multiple formation offense, opponents will have a lot more to game plan for this year. There isn’t even one QB, these two have ability to be starters and are different.

alabamagrizzly said:

Depends when he enrolled. If he started school at UM in January, he would be a Freshman in the fall.

HelenaHandBasket said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Depends when he enrolled. If he started school at UM in January, he would be a Freshman in the fall.

Thanks Helena, good to know. I’m wondering if he’s got a chance to see the field this year. I know he certainly is gonna give it a try.

Back