• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrimmage Report

PlayerRep

6,000 in attendance. Nice day. Sun at times. Backups played most of 2d half.

Sneed looked very good, even without being able to really run. Jensen started slow, but picked up steam. Threw a bad pick early.

"The passing game was led by Sneed, who completed 13 of his 16 passes for 136 yards, with Jensen's 123 yards on 5-9 passing close behind. As the man charged with catching passes from both, Toure says he's impressed with both of their performances."

"They're both doing amazing," Toure added. "They're making it a tough competition because they're both making plays and us receivers are doing our jobs."

Lee looked good. Eastwood too. Green fine.

Cockran looked good. The top d-backs played well or fairly. The new safety transfer is good and big. His family drove over from Tacoma. Had a great hit on JLM on a slant, but JLM hung on.

Saw some nice blocking by the receivers. The top receivers all caught the ball too. JlM has put on some muscle. Over 180 now.

The star might have been punter Williams. He clobbered every punt, of 5, I believe. Very consistent and long.

I thought the o-line played fairly well. Sims and Bingham are beasts.

I liked what I saw. Bodnar was around early, but said he had to get back to the office. Mick Delaney was in attendance. A number of former Griz too.

http://gogriz.com/news/2018/4/14/football-balanced-griz-put-on-show-in-spring-game.aspx

PlayerRep said:
6,000 in attendance. Nice day. Sun at times. Backups played most of 2d half.

Sneed looked very good, even without being able to really run. Jensen started slow, but picked up steam. Threw a bad pick early.

"The passing game was led by Sneed, who completed 13 of his 16 passes for 136 yards, with Jensen's 123 yards on 5-9 passing close behind. As the man charged with catching passes from both, Toure says he's impressed with both of their performances."

"They're both doing amazing," Toure added. "They're making it a tough competition because they're both making plays and us receivers are doing our jobs."

Lee looked good. Eastwood too. Green fine.

Cockran looked good. The top d-backs played well or fairly. The new safety transfer is good and big. His family drove over from Tacoma. Had a great hit on JLM on a slant, but JLM hung on.

Saw some nice blocking by the receivers. The top receivers all caught the ball too. JlM has put on some muscle. Over 180 now.

The star might have been punter Williams. He clobbered every punt, of 5, I believe. Very consistent and long.

I thought the o-line played fairly well. Sims and Bingham are beasts.

I liked what I saw. Bodnar was around early, but said he had to get back to the office. Mick Delaney was in attendance. A number of former Griz too.

http://gogriz.com/news/2018/4/14/football-balanced-griz-put-on-show-in-spring-game.aspx

For a family to drive all the way from Tacoma and still have the energy to lay a lick on JL Magic is impressive. And for Jerry to hit by whole family (admittedly it doesn't say how big a family) and hang on is also great work. #danglingparticiple

Any one else notice how Sneed on the sideline was front and center cheering on everyone the whole 2nd half and Gresch just kinda stood back and really didn’t partake.

mtgrizzly said:
Any one else notice how Sneed on the sideline was front and center cheering on everyone the whole 2nd half and Gresch just kinda stood back and really didn’t partake.
I think I remember that's how it was with him and Phillips last year. I don't think it's that indicative of anything, really.

mtgrizzly said:

I saw Gresch quite a bit visiting with other players in the 2nd half. I sure didn't notice any negative body language from him.

I said it before spring camp, and I'll say it after spring camp, "You can tell why Hauck and Rosey recruited Sneed". Now I didn't mean then and I don't mean now that Sneed should start. I am merely saying he is good. He was sharp, or should I say "Crisp" like Grady Bennett said, adding "I am impressed by Dalton Sneed, he was on target that entire drive."

We've got ourselves a QB competition boys and gals. Despite the fans that proclaimed Jensen
"is the by far the best QB and it isn't even close". And that they "can't even believe the the coaches are pretending there is even a a competition". Continuing with "Jensen will start the next three years" for sure. BAHAHAHAHAHA

Dalton Sneed 13-16-1 (76%) for 136 yds 1 TD 34 Long 1 Sack
Tanner Wilson 6-10-1 (55%) for 103 yds 1 TD 49 Long 1 Sack
Gresch Jensen 5-9-1 (50%) for 123 yds 1 TD 50 Long 2 Sack

After the sprng game, Hauck said the way things are going he isn't opposed to a two QB system in 2018. And finished the interview with "We'll have a great QB competition in the fall."

GO GRIZ, GET BETTER (everyone)

I did hear Grady say that. He was very complimentary of Sneed. Sneed looked good and came out strong seemed to have a good command of the offense, He is pretty vocal, I watched him on the touchdowns and he made a point of acknowledging everybody on the o line and anyone else he could find. I too noticed him on the sidelines. Jensen started slow but threw the nice deep ball. He is a step or two behind Sneed at this point but is definitely in the mix. It look like I expected. I’m sure they will wait until the fall to name all the starters. I’m not buying that Bobby would be happy rotating qbs during the season. I still believe Sneed will get the nod. I hope Jensen sticks around. Haven’t heard anything that says he won’t. Good for the griz nation. Did anyone see much of the recruits, I can’t recognize them unless they are wearing a number lol.

Dutch Lane said:
I did hear Grady say that. He was very complimentary of Sneed. Sneed looked good and came out strong seemed to have a good command of the offense, He is pretty vocal, I watched him on the touchdowns and he made a point of acknowledging everybody on the o line and anyone else he could find. I too noticed him on the sidelines. Jensen started slow but threw the nice deep ball. He is a step or two behind Sneed at this point but is definitely in the mix. It look like I expected. I’m sure they will wait until the fall to name all the starters. I’m not buying that Bobby would be happy rotating qbs during the season. I still believe Sneed will get the nod. I hope Jensen sticks around. Haven’t heard anything that says he won’t. Good for the griz nation. Did anyone see much of the recruits, I can’t recognize them unless they are wearing a number lol.
:lol: Yeah, because he’s never done that before. :roll:

1st team OL played well. Will be interesting to see how they hold up against a more aggressive pass rush/blitzing. Seems every couple years we have a walk on that comes out of nowhere and becomes a major contributor. Looks like Keintz could potentially be that guy. Looks the part and played very well.

Liked what I saw from Welnel and RJ Nelson. Agreed on Cochrane. Robertson was a crucial transfer. Would be nice to see us grab another impactful CB transfer. They had some moments, but struggled in coverage.

Uofman, what I mean is that Sneed and Jensen are pretty dissimilar and have different skill set and as a result I believe that their skill set will dictate the other personnel and play calling. I think at the on set this fall that Jensen is going to have to keep up with the program and try and match Sneed play for play and keep up with offense also. I think that after SDSU Bobby isn’t going to want to resort back to rotating in two qbs. I think he will make his pick and stick with him if or until he sucks.

This time last year after the spring game everyone wanted Hill to start and thought Phillips was terrible. Meaning everyone is overreacting. This will go into Fall camp. A lot of practice left until that first game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
This time last year after the spring game everyone wanted Hill to start and thought Phillips was terrible. Meaning everyone is overreacting. This will go into Fall camp. A lot of practice left until that first game

Stop. Just stop with this common sense talk. You are making sense and that will simply not do on this site Mr.

Dutch Lane said:
Uofman, what I mean is that Sneed and Jensen are pretty dissimilar and have different skill set and as a result I believe that their skill set will dictate the other personnel and play calling. I think at the on set this fall that Jensen is going to have to keep up with the program and try and match Sneed play for play and keep up with offense also. I think that after SDSU Bobby isn’t going to want to resort back to rotating in two qbs. I think he will make his pick and stick with him if or until he sucks.

The different skill sets are why we will most likely see both play to start the season. The real season doesn't start until the playoffs anyway (that's how it was when coach Hauck was here previously). I think there is a good chance we will see both players play all year especially if the team is winning. Sneed can flat out run and is accurate enough with the football to do real damage in the passing game. Jensen throws darts 40 yards down field he is very, very impressive in the passing game AND can run a bit if he has to.

mtgrizzly said:

...I like the emotional side of Sneed..I cant wait to see him in real game situations this could be very
entertaining..passion was what we were lacking last year and this guys got it..I don't think we have
seen what this kid can do on the run..he's got FBS quickness!

Dutch Lane said:
Dutch, UMman wasn’t saying anything negative I think. Just that Bobby’s run a two QB system before with Roper/Selle. After finally seeing Sneed play, I’m sold and would love to see him as a starter. I admit, I am emotionaly attatched to Gresch and really wanted to have a four year starter but I can clearly see what Dalton brings and would think he will excel here. I’d also have no problem with a two QB system in situational instances and which QB has the hot hand that week, if we’re winning.

I think Dalton did a good job of hitting his check downs and that’s what helped his percentage. His one deep ball probably should not have been thrown since Crow was on his man tight. Gresch really seemed to be trying too hard and his best throws were taking advantage of a converted WR/DB in Eaton.

Regardless fall camp should be interesting and as I said, I’d not be surprised at all to see both QB’s play a lot in Sept and maybe further if one doesn’t separate himself.

The real bummer will be for Gresch if he loses the job to Sneed in ‘18 and ‘19 and then Graves as a Sr.

Copper Griz said:
dayday said:

Stop. Just stop with this common sense talk. You are making sense and that will simply not do on this site Mr.

:lol:

Griz finish spring ball in front of thousands with spirited scrimmage
https://skylinesportsmt.com/griz-finish-spring-ball-with-full-stadium-spirited-scrimmage/

One of the more fun scrimmages I have watched. It provided a little bit of everything for us football fans. As for the details, I am far from qualified to comment on our QB battle, but I do feel Jensen did great after he settled in, you just have to ignore the first 2-3 drives where he was with the 2s. He did seem to be pressing a bit, but how can you blame him after the way Sneed lit things up in his first 2 drives. I now have less concerns about our O-line. As I recall Hauck was always great in developing that part of the past teams he coached here. Personally, I was more concerned about our secondary. There were a lot of open receivers and in my opinion a lot of YAC-way too many yards after first contact. I hope they pick up another transfer-corner to help us in this area. I agree with PR and feel we will have a pretty good team on the field in the fall. Can anyone comment on whether Rensvold or Nagler played?

Back