• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

fresh fruit for rotting vegetables

argh!

DONOR
you armchair university presidents, who have never played the game, are going to call the faculty names and beat your chests, but they do have some valid points.

and, for the millionth time, i'm not a fan of tenure, or even faculty governance as it currently exists at most universities. but again, they have some points.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/our-colleagues-are-going-to-lose-their-jobs--/article_5e4874b1-36af-569a-9940-b340001e7c3d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

I've no room on my head left to scratch. If the recruitment efforts weren't bad enough, now they are late in getting out scholarship letters??? Crap on 'em even after we have them in the showroom??? Engstrom better be the first professor to go.

horribilisfan8184 said:
I've no room on my head left to scratch. If the recruitment efforts weren't bad enough, now they are late in getting out scholarship letters??? Crap on 'em even after we have them in the showroom??? Engstrom better be the first professor to go.

engstrom hasn't been the president for something like two years(bqm) there was plenty of time to get the issues fixed between his axing and now. also, chemistry professors probably aren't going anywhere.

also, bodnar was 'hired' in what, september(bqm) then didn't start until january (bqm) i dunno. when you hire somebody to do a job and point out to them your biggest problem (enrollment), isn't it fair to think the person would do an immediate review of the office in charge of that, instead of waiting a few months(bqm)

oh, wait, he doesn't know how universities work, so has to be taught first. sorry, forgot.

argh! said:
also, bodnar was 'hired' in what, september(bqm) then didn't start until january (bqm) i dunno. when you hire somebody to do a job and point out to them your biggest problem (enrollment), isn't it fair to think the person would do an immediate review of the office in charge of that, instead of waiting a few months(bqm)

oh, wait, he doesn't know how universities work, so has to be taught first. sorry, forgot.

YA!! Why can’t he just snap his fingers and everything be fixed?! What the hell is wrong with this guy?! Time to hire a new president!! Bodnar’s clearly dropping the ball and Hauck has stated several times he won’t put up with putting the ball on the ground!!

alabamagrizzly said:
argh! said:

YA!! Why can’t he just snap his fingers and everything be fixed?! What the hell is wrong with this guy?! Time to hire a new president!! Bodnar’s clearly dropping the ball and Hauck has stated several times he won’t put up with putting the ball on the ground!!

true, it is best to just kinda hang out during spring drills, chat with the players, then figure out what offense you are going to run in the fall. much better than coming in with a plan for what kind of offense you are going to run and get it installed in the spring.

argh! said:
you armchair university presidents, who have never played the game, are going to call the faculty names and beat your chests, but they do have some valid points.

and, for the millionth time, i'm not a fan of tenure, or even faculty governance as it currently exists at most universities. but again, they have some points.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/our-colleagues-are-going-to-lose-their-jobs--/article_5e4874b1-36af-569a-9940-b340001e7c3d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

I am not one of "them." Here are the data they ought to look in the mirror and question why: applications DOWN 761, admitted DOWN 865, resident hall applications DOWN 363 and a budget shortfall of $10,000,000.00.

Denial stage is still the prevalent Kubler Ross place for them. Of course they need to be updating their vitae. (And make certain they dot their i and cross all the ts correctly).

When an egotistical mindset gets put on notice by those they would share their infinite wisdom with that the youth of today does not want a thing to do with you, perhaps a bit more humility would go much further in altering the publics perception of you? That is to say, once again this is just another article about the faculty here on campus.

Try accentuating the positive and talk to the kids, graduate students who are here and why they love it here instead of focusing on the "Outstanding" staff and faculty here.

argh! said:

Did you forget that apparently, Engstrom also didn't know "how universities work?"

A 30% drop in enrollment, yet only a 5-10% reduction in faculty (the largest University expense I'm sure). I'm no rocket scientist but that isn't going to cut it.

I've heard that the U, compared to other similar universities, is heavily bloated in the faculty and staff department. Is this true? If so, then time to hurt some feelers.

:? Welcome to real world. No one is happy to see people lose their jobs, but it seems like the refrain here is that Bodnar should forestall discussing & implanting a change process until conditions reach crisis proportions. You know, a death spiral that will necessitate bigger cuts & greater losses. A 30% reduction in enrollment, though only a 10% reduction in instruction. Let’s make sure that @ the very least, we look like we’re busy.

For every tenured professor who loses a position there are thousands of workers aged 50 plus in the real world who are shown the door because someone figured they could do things more cheaply. People just like these tenured professors & admins who have families & mortgages.

So tread lightly Seth. It’s more important to assuage everyone’s guilt over the failures of the institution, lamenting the passing of the good old days, than to ask for help in making the product relevant again. And buck up... you’ve been in the job for 120 days, you should have had this solved by now.

There are a great many HS students in California who cannot get into a 4 year university in state because of how impacted the CSU/UC system is currently. Sport teams recruit in California, why not the school as a whole.

For those that have paid more attention to it than I have, has seth mainly been doing things behind the scenes with all his budget cuts and reorganizing or does he get out a fair amount and be u of m's biggest cheerleader?

I know nothing, but I'll be honest. I thought SB was a hire that was going to make inroads in to the growth of MSU. I really did. And I'm not ready to say he's going to suck but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to do irreparable harm. Again, I know nothing and I could be totally wrong. Just kind of a feeling I have.

And while our president at msu is well liked by many and has done a great job, there have been times I've heard rumblings about faculty not liking her. So unhappy faculty doesn't mean much necessarily.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
For those that have paid more attention to it than I have, has seth mainly been doing things behind the scenes with all his budget cuts and reorganizing or does he get out a fair amount and be u of m's biggest cheerleader?

I know nothing, but I'll be honest. I thought SB was a hire that was going to make inroads in to the growth of MSU. I really did. And I'm not ready to say he's going to suck but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to do irreparable harm. Again, I know nothing and I could be totally wrong. Just kind of a feeling I have.

And while our president at msu is well liked by many and has done a great job, there have been times I've heard rumblings about faculty not liking her. So unhappy faculty doesn't mean much necessarily.

The guy is more visible than any other president I've seen at UM. He has been like a Jedi master on social media as well. This president will do just fine and is doing exactly what needs to be done in my opinion

Allezchat said:

120 days in, the ship be a leakin’ & badly, what kind of irreparable harm could he do? F$&k the whiny faculty who only care about themselves. There are always a list a grievences that stretch from here to the sun & back @ every institution in the country.

Wait... you already qualified yourself as a know nothing.

Post better son. Troll or do not. There is no try.

Only an irrational college professor (sorry for the redundancy) would think their job is not on the line after a 30% loss in students. Some people are incapable of facing realty nor acknowledging they may be part of the problem.

Faculty and staff have every right to be furious with Main Hall and anyone involved with recruitment. UM is losing some fantastic minds. That's a shame.

Bodnar and company better get real creative, real fast. UM will be at 5,000 full-time students before you know it.

The faculty and staff reaction to the impending position cuts is no different than the reactions of employees being let go at big companies.
Employee cuts are coming, program cuts are coming, there will be less students in the years to come. Eventually the bottom will come.
The university is going to have to eventually invest in programs. In order to attract students you have to have something that is worth coming for. Football isn't the answer, mist students don't care about athletics.

ranco said:
Only an irrational college professor (sorry for the redundancy) would think their job is not on the line after a 30% loss in students. Some people are incapable of facing realty nor acknowledging they may be part of the problem.

if you hate college professors so much, what the hell are you doing on a message board that has at it's basis a university(bqm) they are obviously easy targets for many of you expert academic administrators, as evidenced by the preponderance of 'blame the faculty' posts.

one of the first questions i'd be asking if i was seth * would be which deans have failed to grow, or at least maintain, enrollment in the programs within their colleges. i haven't heard of any of them getting the ax, even though that is the way (in my experience) colleges get turned around fastest - by getting rid of a bad dean and replacing him or her with a good one. also, other than the enrollment guy, has there been any reduction of upper-administrators(bqm) my impression was that engstrom, like many bad administrators, increased the number of high paid vps and that sort of thing.

*of course i would never be seth, because finky little hipster beards aren't my thing.

signedbewildered said:
argh! said:

Did you forget that apparently, Engstrom also didn't know "how universities work?"

that has nothing to do with what i wrote. some of you remind me of a (hypothetical) president continuing to whine about his long-ago opponent when faced with his own f-ups.

griz5700 said:
Faculty and staff have every right to be furious with Main Hall and anyone involved with recruitment. UM is losing some fantastic minds. That's a shame.

Bodnar and company better get real creative, real fast. UM will be at 5,000 full-time students before you know it.

Indeed, the app/frosh numbers are at present looking dismal. I understand that UM has a lot to make up to fill enrollment targets for fall 2018.

The cascading cuts seem to be without pause. Sub 10k numbers may be UM enrollment in very near term.

Now fully retired from campus but have been back there on many occasions. Environment on campus subdued, low energy, etc. I recall wholly different spirit in years, decades gone by

Bodnar may be the long term answer, but adequate resources immediately are critical. Really wonder if he knew full scope prior to his new post. Wish him health, and inspiration.

Back