• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

It’s time for a new player discussion-RB’s

alabamagrizzly

So are we ready to talk about RB’s yet and specifically Jeremy Calhoun? I’m wondering if he’s gonna lose the starting job to Lee and possibly Eastwood. Bobby has always had a RB who try’s to run through brick walls and I’m not sure if Calhoun is that guy. Ever since his first concussion, he’s seemed to me to be a little tentative when running through the line. Alijah Is definitely more like Bobby’s prototypical back I think and will probably take the starting job I think. Eastwood also seems to be that guy and he’s a Hauck guy. Just thought I’d bring this up for discussion since we have clearly beat to death the Gresch/Dalton debate, drug the remains through town as an example to others, hung it from a tree outside of town, and set the whole damn tree a blaze.

i don't think hauck necessarily prefers straight-ahead guys. while he had hilliard, he did also recruit and extensively play the first nguyen brother. seems to me like he'll be looking at the total package, including qb protection, which i'm not sure calhoun is that great at doing(?)

also, based on last year, i think lee might be the best all around back on the team (that i've seen).

I think a healthy Calhoun will thrive in this offense. I think it's more suited to his game with an extra blocker or two. I don't necessarily agree that he seemed timid I thought he still ran hard and with a chip on her shoulder.

We are pretty deep. Lee continues to look good here, a healthy Rey Green impressed in the scrimmage, Eastwood looks like he will be an instant contributor, and Moses may be the fastest/quickest guy on the team and looks darn good too.

Many here would suggest the WR group is the most talented on this team and while they might be correct, I’d suggest the RB bunch is right there with them. There are five guys in that group that could have pretty significant contributions if they get things dialed in with the o-line. A lot of different skills there, Moses & Green with the great speed & illusiveness is something that hadn’t been there since Van. I know it will sound like a head over the skis moment, but dammed if in the brief glimpses, Eastwood doesn’t remind me of Reynolds. You know what you’ve got with Calhoun & Lee and all of them will benefit from a much more run-oriented offense.

If they can run the ball effectively, you’ll see a more effective passing game and offense in general.

Calhoun is too good to be bounced. I think there is going to be a good rotation of playing time tho. Instead for one getting the ball 20 Times you are gonna see Calhoun, Lee and Eastwood share the reps with green and Moses getting a few carries too.

Getting dinged up and other injuries will happen so once again what a great problem to have. Five to six very capable ball carriers. Comes down to who picks the offense up the best and never misses their assignments. The only knock I ever had on Calhoun is he runs so high. He never gets the lower leverage when he takes on a tackler.

Terron Moses has had a pretty solid spring. Undersized but shifty and strong after contact.

Eastwood has good vision is precise in his cuts and has more quicks than I thought he would given his size.

My way too early (but always right) depth chart would go
1. Eastwood
2. Lee
3. Green
4. Moses
5. McCombs
*. Calhoun

Is Eastwood a RB or FB. Was listed as a FB at San Diego St. UM roster on website lists only one FB. Didn't check spring roster.

Lee looks solid in stature and play, he looks like a Pac 12 RB. Moses is a classic change of pace RB, although lower on depth chart, get this guy five or so touches. Moses will break ankles he is small and electric.

PlayerRep said:
Is Eastwood a RB or FB. Was listed as a FB at San Diego St. UM roster on website lists only one FB. Didn't check spring roster.

Hauck is on the record of saying that Eastwood is going to play running back here and practice seems to indicate that but yes he was listed as a fullback at SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
PlayerRep said:

Hauck is on the record of saying that Eastwood is going to play running back here and practice seems to indicate that but yes he was listed as a fullback at SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring Griz roster lists him as RB. Look at walk on thread with photos of roster.

PR what are your thoughts on O’Connell for a young LB he appears to have some good potential.

Diesel said:
PR what are your thoughts on O’Connell for a young LB he appears to have some good potential.

Don't know. Have been out of the loop, working hard and traveling for a couple months. At my son's school now, Sewanee, for dads' weekend at his frat. They had a crayfish boil yesterday. 550 pounds. Fun and good, despite bad weather. Lots of bands on campus last night. Sewanee is a cool school, a bit of a throwback.

Another thing with Bobby is he demands RBs to be great in pass protection. A huge but under appreciated part of the game.

My pick is EAstwood to be the feature back. I’m deferring to Bob again. He saw the rb talent on the roster and went out and got a D1 guy that spent a year with him in SDS. That’s a lot of time to spend with a “new” recruit. So yeah same as my acessment of Snead, he’s Bobby’s guy (Eastwood) because obviously Bobby knows more about him then any other player on the team except maybe Robby.

Dutch Lane said:
My pick is EAstwood to be the feature back. I’m deferring to Bob again. He saw the rb talent on the roster and went out and got a D1 guy that spent a year with him in SDS. That’s a lot of time to spend with a “new” recruit. So yeah same as my acessment of Snead, he’s Bobby’s guy (Eastwood) because obviously Bobby knows more about him then any other player on the team except maybe Robby.

Hell if Bobby gets another 17 transfers we will have our starting lineup!!

Dutch Lane said:
He saw the rb talent on the roster and went out and got a D1 guy

So for arguments sake, your saying the guys on our roster are not good enough cus they’re not D1A guys. I think the likes of Mariani, Beirman, Tim Hauck and many others would argue with you that just because they didn’t play D1A football, they were certainly good enough.

Yes, I do think he’ll play a lot, but I think if anyone’s gonna start over Calhoun, it’s gonna be Lee. I think Calhoun’s a better pass blocker, for one, he’s been working with Justin Green for four years now and that’s something Green really emphasizes. Lee runs with a fierce determination though that I think we haven’t seen since Chase and maybe even Lex. I imagine Eastwood isn’t a slouch at pass blocking since he was gonna play FB at SDS but obviously he wanted to run the ball and Bobby asking him to transfer was a great opportunity for him. But I’m sure he’s got a lot to learn in the protection aspect of the position still and that’s gonna take away some of his PT.

So back to your argument Dutch, are you saying Eastwood will start just because he’s a Bobby guy, or do you believe he’s a better all around back then Calhoun and Lee, who was also a D1A guy?

Back