• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Badlands Bowl roster features 8 future Griz

Colter_Nuanez56

2018 Knights of Columbus Badlands Bowl
June 16 at Biesiot Activities Center, Dickinson, N.D.

Head coach – Tony Arntson, Helena High.

Assistant coaches – Scott Evans, Helena High; Bryce Carver, Hamilton; Ryan Buckley, Glendive; Mike White, Shelby; Mike Cutler, Drummond-Philipsburg.

Future Griz (8)

RB — Drew Turner, Kalispell Glacier

WR — Gabe Sulser, Billings Senior, David Koppang, Missoula Loyola.

TE — Levi Janacaro, Missoula Big Sky.

G — Conor Quick, Helena Capital

T — Trevor Welnel, Helena Capital

LB — Jackson Pepe, Kalispell Glacier (will play S for the Griz)

S — Nick Germer, Missoula Sentinel

Alternates — Colten Curry, Valier

Future Bobcats (8)

QB — Kaleb Winterburn, Helena High

RB —Lane Sumner, Huntley Project

WR — Logan Kleinhans, Bozeman

TE — Treyton Pickering, Sunburst

T — Joey McElroy, Missoula Loyola

DL – Jory Choate, Bozeman

LB — Blake Allred, Billings Senior; Nolan Askelson, Billings Senior

Alternates — Mark Estes, Kalispell Glacier,

Class AA – 21
Class A – 4
Class B – 6
Class C - 2

Sad that it's the last meaningful game that any of those Cat recruits will get to take part in.

WaGriz4life said:
This Montana team will win by 40+. It's amazing how terrible North Dakota high school football is.
I agree that our HS football is probably not as good as MT. Combine that with the fact that ND HS kids/coaches don't seem to really give a rip about this game, maybe it should not even happen.

NDSU has 7 ND recruits for 2018, and only 2 are playing in the Badlands Bowl.
UND has 5 ND recruits for 2018, and only 1 is playing in the Badlands Bowl.

If we could get more of these guys to play, it would probably be a better game.

runtheoption said:
WaGriz4life said:
This Montana team will win by 40+. It's amazing how terrible North Dakota high school football is.
I agree that our HS football is probably not as good as MT. Combine that with the fact that ND HS kids/coaches don't seem to really give a rip about this game, maybe it should not even happen.

You realize a majority of the years the best MT kids don’t play either? Look it up all the D-1 scholarship kids and you might be surprised over the last 20 years of the game.

Surprisingly the 2005 Montana team was probably the best talent with 3 Montana players ending up with careers in the NFL, 1 being a Pro Bowler. Mariani, Shillenger of the Griz and Fletcher with the Cats. Shreibise of the Cats was a Buck Buchanon winner his Senior year for being the FCS best defensive player. North Dakota beat that team 55-29. There were about 6 other Griz stars on that team Lebsock, Utterback and others.

runtheoption said:
WaGriz4life said:

I think we have 3 or 4 hundred thousand more people then North Dakota has. Also we don’t play hockey but that’s a winter sport, no? Do many hockey guys also play football or are two contact sports back to back too much? It’s also hard to always get the best players to play in the summer especially if they play baseball. Is the badlands game the only game played in the state? Do you have a shrine game or the equivalent? Do you have an all star game for the smaller schools, for the 8 and 6 man teams? My brother in law starred at qb for the New Salem Holsteins, ( there is a huge statue of a Holstein on the highway at New Salem) back in the day. Not sure what class they were in pretty small I think. They named there high school field after him. He got recruited by Nebraska back in the early 70’s and ran the bone for the cornhusker frosh and jv. Then he joined the rodeo team instead. Lol. Thanks

WaGriz4life said:

How amazing is it really? Do you really think this “game” is representative of the quality of high school football in North Dakota? I don’t think you have any idea what you are talking about if you are just basing your observation on the game record. Carson Wentz played for Bismark Century HS and he was and is not terrible. UND and NDSU have both had 2O-30 former North Dakota high school players on their rosters the last couple of seasons and of course NDSU won 8 Division II chippers and 6 Division 1 chippers and 4 out of the last 5. Wow. Unfortunately they have been way better then the Griz or the land grant have been over the same time period with roughly the same number of former Montana high school players on their respective rosters year in and year out.

Dutch Lane said:
WaGriz4life said:

How amazing is it really? Do you really think this “game” is representative of the quality of high school football in North Dakota? I don’t think you have any idea what you are talking about if you are just basing your observation on the game record. Carson Wentz played for Bismark Century HS and he was and is not terrible. UND and NDSU have both had 2O-30 former North Dakota high school players on their rosters the last couple of seasons and of course NDSU won 8 Division II chippers and 6 Division 1 chippers and 4 out of the last 5. Wow. Unfortunately they have been way better then the Griz or the land grant have been over the same time period with roughly the same number of former Montana high school players on their respective rosters year in and year out.

You do know the game is between Montana and North Dakota HIGH SCHOOLERS, right? It ain’t NDSU and UM lining up against each other.

Dutch Lane said:
runtheoption said:
WaGriz4life said:

I think we have 3 or 4 hundred thousand more people then North Dakota has. Also we don’t play hockey but that’s a winter sport, no? Do many hockey guys also play football or are two contact sports back to back too much? It’s also hard to always get the best players to play in the summer especially if they play baseball. Is the badlands game the only game played in the state? Do you have a shrine game or the equivalent? Do you have an all star game for the smaller schools, for the 8 and 6 man teams? My brother in law starred at qb for the New Salem Holsteins, ( there is a huge statue of a Holstein on the highway at New Salem) back in the day. Not sure what class they were in pretty small I think. They named there high school field after him. He got recruited by Nebraska back in the early 70’s and ran the bone for the cornhusker frosh and jv. Then he joined the rodeo team instead. Lol. Thanks

North Dakota doesn't play high school hockey at any serious level. UND just has a scholarship program for Canadian prairie kids to hang out in Grand Forks and play for the UND Name of the Weekers. Once we get our wall built (and you guys are paying for it) the UND hockey program will die. And the only ice in Fargo is on the door of the place that sells 32 to 38 waist jeans.

SaskGriz said:
Dutch Lane said:
runtheoption said:
WaGriz4life said:

North Dakota doesn't play high school hockey at any serious level. UND just has a scholarship program for Canadian prairie kids to hang out in Grand Forks and play for the UND Name of the Weekers. Once we get our wall built (and you guys are paying for it) the UND hockey program will die. And the only ice in Fargo is on the door of the place that sells 32 to 38 waist jeans.

:clap: :lol: Bravo.

Edit: Ursa, put me down for POTY on this one. Some fine work here.

Help me out with your rap on UND. They only have Canadians on their hockey team? I also don’t get the size 32 to 38 waist reference. Thanks

UND only had six Canadians on there hockey team this past season out of total of 25 team members. Really incredible program a national powerhouse 22 frozen four appearances 8 national D1 titles the most successful program in NCAA history. And then look at NDSU football 8 division 2 titles, 6 D1 titles from one of the least populous states in the country. Pretty hard to pretend that no dak doesn’t know how to build powerhouse programs. Wow. I also Love the Holsteins of new Salem lol. What’s the deal with the jeans and waist size? Thanks

Rumor has it that Graves was talked into switching Shrine game for Badlands Bowl. Most of his new Griz teammates are playing that instead of Shrine, so he will switch to play with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it's a joke that North Dakota can't even be competitive with Montana. That being said there was something like 9 North Dakota kids on the 2 depth chart for ndsu last year, not to bad. How many Montana kids were on the 2 depth for Montana? Don't know the real reason for the lopsided games. Coaching, overall depth of talent. Montana kids caring more?

braves84 said:
I agree it's a joke that North Dakota can't even be competitive with Montana. That being said there was something like 9 North Dakota kids on the 2 depth chart for ndsu last year, not to bad. How many Montana kids were on the 2 depth for Montana? Don't know the real reason for the lopsided games. Coaching, overall depth of talent. Montana kids caring more?

Speed and athleticism on the Montana side has been unfair the past few games.

I watched the HUDL videos of the ND players this weekend and then watched the MT players HUDL videos and I have to say the ND vids look as though they were in slow motion compared to the MT players. I’d be very surprised if Montana didn’t win and win big.

Richard Cranium said:
I watched the HUDL videos of the ND players this weekend and then watched the MT players HUDL videos and I have to say the ND vids look as though they were in slow motion compared to the MT players. I’d be very surprised if Montana didn’t win and win big.

Montana has dominated the past few outings because of speed. That won't change this year.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
2018 Knights of Columbus Badlands Bowl
June 16 at Biesiot Activities Center, Dickinson, N.D.

Head coach – Tony Arntson, Helena High.

Assistant coaches – Scott Evans, Helena High; Bryce Carver, Hamilton; Ryan Buckley, Glendive; Mike White, Shelby; Mike Cutler, Drummond-Philipsburg.

Future Griz (8)

RB — Drew Turner, Kalispell Glacier

WR — Gabe Sulser, Billings Senior, David Koppang, Missoula Loyola.

TE — Levi Janacaro, Missoula Big Sky.

G — Conor Quick, Helena Capital

T — Trevor Welnel, Helena Capital

LB — Jackson Pepe, Kalispell Glacier (will play S for the Griz)

S — Nick Germer, Missoula Sentinel

Alternates — Colten Curry, Valier

Future Bobcats (8)

QB — Kaleb Winterburn, Helena High

RB —Lane Sumner, Huntley Project

WR — Logan Kleinhans, Bozeman

TE — Treyton Pickering, Sunburst

T — Joey McElroy, Missoula Loyola

DL – Jory Choate, Bozeman

LB — Blake Allred, Billings Senior; Nolan Askelson, Billings Senior

Alternates — Mark Estes, Kalispell Glacier,

Class AA – 21