• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaimin video, recruiting by UM and MSU

BWahlberg

DONOR
Not football specific but just a general reflection on both schools recruiting practices.

https://www.facebook.com/montanakaimin/videos/1810756485647070/

Now is the the be-all / end-all in what’s going on with both schools? No, absolutely not, but it’s damned embarrassing on this front for Montana.

"I'm sure MSU spends a lot of money mailing these to High School seniors, obviously, something UM cannot afford to do...."

But can we afford not to?

We could afford to give Crady a $70,000 bonus,

Wow. That’s inexcusable. No wonder Crady was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is incredible....no emails from UM in the digital age! No wonder enrollment is low, very poor marketing and I can see why Bod is making staff changes.

Ursus1 said:
That is incredible....no emails from UM in the digital age! No wonder enrollment is low, very poor marketing and I can see why Bod is making staff changes.

I don't think he will try to trump Trump but count on some more being shown the door in one way or another in the near future. Especially over break.

I have two teenagers shopping for colleges. As an alum I would hope they would opt for the U of M but as a parent I will support where ever they go. I asked Crady about the differences in the mailing and email responses between UM and tractor tech. The mailers/brochures/letters etc showcased in the video are contracted with a direct marketing firm and there is a non-compete clause in the contract with that particular company and tractor tech. Apparently this direct marketing firm is one of the better and these non-compete clauses are common. Crady worked with them in the past and his first take on arriving here was to search them out. There are alternatives and UM is pursuing them. BW has a valid point - it is embarrassing. And I pointed that out to Crady and he agreed but felt it was a problem that could be solved. Now I see today that Crady is going to be cut loose. Based on my experiences dealing with him, this is a mistake.

It’s the sad truth. I’ll tell you a story about when both schools were recruiting me. Believe it or not the very first thing I received in the mail from any school in Montana was UM. I got a nice looking brochure. Shortly after that I started receiving emails from MSU. As avid as a Griz fan as I was and my love and passion for the Griz, immediately following the first email I received from them I unsubscribed from their mail list and told them I didn’t want to receive anymore emails from them. Shortly after that, my dad started to get emails from MSU, literally dozens a week. If I wasn’t such an avid Griz fan MSU would’ve likely been my choice, luckily I hate them enough to never send my kids their, but I’m sure they’ll be recruited well by them, and hopefully by then they will by UM as well.

Anyone currently involved in UM recruitment should immediately be fired. Period.

This is a good swamp for Bodnar to drain. Start from scratch.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
I have two teenagers shopping for colleges. As an alum I would hope they would opt for the U of M but as a parent I will support where ever they go. I asked Crady about the differences in the mailing and email responses between UM and tractor tech. The mailers/brochures/letters etc showcased in the video are contracted with a direct marketing firm and there is a non-compete clause in the contract with that particular company and tractor tech. Apparently this direct marketing firm is one of the better and these non-compete clauses are common. Crady worked with them in the past and his first take on arriving here was to search them out. There are alternatives and UM is pursuing them. BW has a valid point - it is embarrassing. And I pointed that out to Crady and he agreed but felt it was a problem that could be solved. Now I see today that Crady is going to be cut loose. Based on my experiences dealing with him, this is a mistake.
They’re cutting Crady loose??? I got the email from Bodnar today saying that changes would be made, but I didn’t see that. I agree NEZ Dan, that seems like a mistake, but maybe Bodnars got a good backup plan for replacing him.

SoldierGriz said:
Anyone currently involved in UM recruitment should immediately be fired. Period.

UM had a nation wide search and hired Tom Crady. He was hired in the fall of 2016, barely 18 months ago. One of the first things to happen when he arrived was his budget was cut, a huge cut. Dollars and staff. He should be given dollars and staff and resources. If he can't produce, then I agree, he should be fired. Hiring a new guy after a national search, and then cutting his budget and staff and then showing him the door is not effective.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
SoldierGriz said:

UM had a nation wide search and hired Tom Crady. He was hired in the fall of 2016, barely 18 months ago. One of the first things to happen when he arrived was his budget was cut, a huge cut. Dollars and staff. He should be given dollars and staff and resources. If he can't produce, then I agree, he should be fired. Hiring a new guy after a national search, and then cutting his budget and staff and then showing him the door is not effective.

Bondar is unleashed. This won't be the only boat he rocks. I will watch it unfold and admire from afar.

So the difference is the direct marketing firm, or not having the one that state ag employs? (By the way, love “tractor tech”, nicely played). You’re absolutely correct, there are non-compete clauses written into contracts as a matter of course. Money makes a great deal of difference, as does the firm.

But what I think you’re hearing Bodnar say is that the University is trying to figure out what it wants to be, now that it’s grown up. Tough to market something when you’re trying to figure out what you’re about. The university is struggling to be a relevant option for potential students given the world that awaits them. Bodnar knows that for sure.

That said, the kid @ the Kaimin laid it out pretty clearly. Everyone involved should be really embarrassed. Social media posts and email should be second nature, even for the most rudimentary of business partners. This was incredibly poorly executed, & 18 months is more than enough time to find a quality direct marketing partner & put together a significantly better effort.

griz5700 said:
LET'S GO THERE!

This is absolute garbage. Whomever came up with that should be fired.

Why isn’t the marketing element of the business school involved?

If he was hired and given a time line, a budget, staff, resources and told to hit a mark and enrollment did not hit the mark, then he should be shown the door. Period. If this is not what happened, then there should be a good explanation.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
If he was hired and given a time line, a budget, staff, resources and told to hit a mark and enrollment did not hit the mark, then he should be shown the door. Period. If this is not what happened, then there should be a good explanation.

Lengthy detailed article in the local paper this evening. Bodnar said decision wasn't based on performance which is nice of him to say but if he (Crady) was performing well and was showing very positive results in his time here he would likely be renewed, right?

Curious to know what Shorts longer term roll will be. She always has a lot to say. A LOT.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Couldn’t agree more. The resources available to Crady are not sufficient. Good luck, hope our new president has a good plan. The old drain the swamp think is a simplistic long term approach.

Back