• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pro Day

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/former-montana-grizzly-dbs-justin-strong-ryan-mckinley-raise-eyebrows/article_5d1fb93a-80fa-5dd7-ba78-6b5a61d59604.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Former Griz Pro Day Results

Treshawn Favors — 5-foot-9, 211-pound running back

40-yard dash: 4.95 seconds
Vertical jump: 25.5 inches
Broad jump: 8 feet, 6 inches
Bench: 13 reps
Shuttle: 12 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.33 seconds
Pro agility: 4.53 seconds

Josh Horner — 6-foot-4.4, 226-pound wide receiver/tight end

40-yard dash: 4.95 seconds
Vertical jump: 35 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 2 inches
Bench: Did not participate
Shuttle: 12 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.73 seconds
Pro agility: 4.68 seconds

Robert Luke — 6-foot-4, 316-pound offensive lineman

40-yard dash: 5.74 seconds
Vertical jump: 26 inches
Broad jump: 7 feet, 7 inches
Bench: 22 reps
Shuttle: 11.65 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.81 seconds
Pro agility: 4.85 seconds

Ryan McKinley — 5-foot-11.4, 183-pound cornerback

40-yard dash: 4.68 seconds
Vertical jump: 39.5 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 10 inches
Bench: 13 reps
Shuttle: 11.70 seconds
3-cone drill: 6.95 seconds
Pro agility: 4.47 seconds

David Reese — 6-foot-7.3, 286-pound offensive tackle

40-yard dash: 5.33 seconds
Vertical jump: 28.5 inches
Broad jump: 8 feet, 9 inches
Bench: 8 reps
Shuttle: Did not participate
3-cone drill: 7.47 seconds
Pro agility: 4.72 seconds

Tucker Schye — 6-foot-4, 231-pound defensive end/outside linebacker

40-yard dash: 4.75 seconds
Vertical jump: 32.5 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 11 inches
Bench: 21 reps
Shuttle: 11.70 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.06 seconds
Pro agility: 4.20 seconds

Makena Simis — 6-foot-2.6, 237-pound wide receiver/tight end

40-yard dash: 4.98 seconds
Vertical jump: 29 inches
Broad jump: 8 feet, 2 inches
Bench: 12 reps
Shuttle: 12.60 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.55 seconds
Pro agility: 4.64 seconds

Justin Strong — 5-foot-9.3, 191-pound defensive back

40-yard dash: 4.55 seconds
Vertical jump: 33.5 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 5 inches
Bench: 17 reps
Shuttle: 11.90 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.42 seconds
Pro agility: 4.29 seconds

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/former-montana-grizzly-dbs-justin-strong-ryan-mckinley-raise-eyebrows/article_72835f32-7fc4-5cae-9663-dcd4d1551527.html

Looks like some good numbers by Tech's Saraceni as well.

biga75 said:
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/former-montana-grizzly-dbs-justin-strong-ryan-mckinley-raise-eyebrows/article_72835f32-7fc4-5cae-9663-dcd4d1551527.html

Looks like some good numbers by Tech's Saraceni as well.

Some have commented here that he is a serious talent. Would guess it would have been a great get for Montana had he been offered or had Montana fit into his educational plans.

AZDoc said:
Ouch...some of those times are a bit turtle like

Favors got much slower, compared to when he was recruited. I guess that explains why he didn't get more playing time. Wasn't he like 4.5 or 4.6 when he was recruited? Strong and McKinney did solid jobs, for their respected positions.

mtgrizrule said:
AZDoc said:

Favors got much slower, compared to when he was recruited. I guess that explains why he didn't get more playing time. Wasn't he like 4.5 or 4.6 when he was recruited? Strong and McKinney did solid jobs, for their respected positions.

My guess... He wasn't that fast to begin with. HS 40 times are always skewed.

AZDoc said:

My contrast, my buddy's son, the Pitt o-lineman who converted from TE, scored 2 TD's from tackle in '16, and is coming out a year early, ran 4.80 and 4.82 40's, 1.70 and 1.71 in 10 yard shuttle and had 7.14 in the 3-cone drill. Needs to put on some weight and get stronger. He's almost 6'7". Expected to be a 2d rounder, or maybe 3d. Great kid too. As I have said before, his dad was a 5'11, 185 or so, running back at Dartmouth. His older brother was a 6', 180 lbs soccer player for Northwestern.

He has the same agent and trains in Orange County with a So. Dak. St. kid.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/03/02/brian-oneill-nfl-combine-40-time-pitt-football-pittsburgh-panthers-offensive-lineman/stories/201803020182

PlayerRep said:
AZDoc said:

My contrast, my buddy's son, the Pitt o-lineman who converted from TE, scored 2 TD's from tackle in '16, and is coming out a year early, ran 4.80 and 4.82 40's, 1.70 and 171 in 10 yard shuttle and had 7.14 in the 3-cone drill. Needs to put on some weight and get stronger. He's almost 6'7". Expected to be a 2d rounder, or maybe 3d. Great kid too. As I have said before, his dad was a 5'11, 185 or so, running back at Dartmouth. His older brother was a 6', 180 lbs soccer player for Northwestern.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/03/02/brian-oneill-nfl-combine-40-time-pitt-football-pittsburgh-panthers-offensive-lineman/stories/201803020182

Those are nice numbers. I get that there are differences in weather, timers, etc, but solid numbers there. This is also why Iowa is know for good OL players. They do a lot of converting of TE to OL. Best of luck to him!

AZDoc said:
PlayerRep said:
AZDoc said:

My contrast, my buddy's son, the Pitt o-lineman who converted from TE, scored 2 TD's from tackle in '16, and is coming out a year early, ran 4.80 and 4.82 40's, 1.70 and 171 in 10 yard shuttle and had 7.14 in the 3-cone drill. Needs to put on some weight and get stronger. He's almost 6'7". Expected to be a 2d rounder, or maybe 3d. Great kid too. As I have said before, his dad was a 5'11, 185 or so, running back at Dartmouth. His older brother was a 6', 180 lbs soccer player for Northwestern.

Those are nice numbers. I get that there are differences in weather, timers, etc, but solid numbers there. This is also why Iowa is know for good OL players. They do a lot of converting of TE to OL. Best of luck to him!

I think he plans to do the 3-cone drill again at Pitt's pro day, to try to set the all-time record for o-lineman.

Do any of our guys have a shot at a camp? I'm guessing Reese, Strong, and McKinley. I'd love to see Schye get a shot, too. That kid has heart and you can't teach heart.

HookedonGriz said:
Do any of our guys have a shot at a camp? I'm guessing Reese, Strong, and McKinley. I'd love to see Schye get a shot, too. That kid has heart and you can't teach heart.

Pure speculation, but I would say the best chance is the Tech RB.

grizd said:
HookedonGriz said:

Pure speculation, but I would say the best chance is the Tech RB.

Definitely put up good numbers. He did a pro day last year too though if I recall correctly. Wonder what hold up was then? Wonder if his numbers improved on this one?

HookedonGriz said:

I'd bet all 4 will get looks. Reese needs some strength, long arms or not. Some of them will get signed for camps and cut. We will see!

We had an O lineman that could only do 8 reps of 225 on the Bench Press??? No wonder we have not been dominant! I'll guarantee that won't happen under BH's tenure. I'm 55 and can do 10 reps.

Question in case anyone has a clue.. The Missoulian article I read today indicates some of the numbers these guys put up were right up there with guys invited to the NFL Combine. So, how come these guys don't get such an invite? I mean aside from the fact Montana is FCS...

And related: What determines whether or not there'll be a Pro Day at a given school? I see the list here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919951/article/2018-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule

But I don't see much about why these schools and not some others put on a Pro Day.

Thanks and Go Griz!

Richard Cranium said:
We had an O lineman that could only do 8 reps of 225 on the Bench Press??? No wonder we have not been dominant! I'll guarantee that won't happen under BH's tenure. I'm 55 and can do 10 reps.

I had that same thought, RC.

My word those are awful numbers.

Tucker was the only one who had at least average numbers compared to his position (when talking about the NFL).

Reese is only 285 and could only put up 8 reps? And he wasn't at all athletic despite being weak?

And remember, these are hand timed...so to compare them to the combine 40's, take another tenth off. Agility tests will be closer.

I'm not sure if this is more an indictment on the athletic level of players we recruited or the S&C staff, but it sure isn't impressive by either.

GrizGuy said:
Question in case anyone has a clue.. The Missoulian article I read today indicates some of the numbers these guys put up were right up there with guys invited to the NFL Combine. So, how come these guys don't get such an invite? I mean aside from the fact Montana is FCS...

And related: What determines whether or not there'll be a Pro Day at a given school? I see the list here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919951/article/2018-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule

But I don't see much about why these schools and not some others put on a Pro Day.

Thanks and Go Griz!

Don't know, but assume schools that historically don't have pro days and don't have many prospects, don't have them. Either because they don't see a need, their prospect or 2 can go to another school (haven't we had Cats at ours?), or scouts or enough scouts won't come. There must be some sort of circuit for some scouts. Like try to hit WSU, EWU, Idaho, UM, MSU or some of them on back to back days.

In the past, UM's strength coach Gerber organized UM's pro days. I assume UM now has lots of assistants who could help organize. Don't know who did UM's this year.

PTGrizzly said:
My word those are awful numbers.

Tucker was the only one who had at least average numbers compared to his position (when talking about the NFL).

Reese is only 285 and could only put up 8 reps? And he wasn't at all athletic despite being weak?

And remember, these are hand timed...so to compare them to the combine 40's, take another tenth off. Agility tests will be closer.

I'm not sure if this is more an indictment on the athletic level of players we recruited or the S&C staff, but it sure isn't impressive by either.

I wonder if there is a typo for Reese's. Or, if I had a glitch when I copied and pasted from the article (doubt that I did).

Back