• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New spring roster and position changes.

grizfan1984

After looking at the roster on the spring prospectus. There has been several changes and I do not think this is the overall spring roster as it doesn't list any walk-ons as we have had several in the years past. Here is the position changes I see.

Kobey Eaton to DB likely CB
Caleb Hill to TE
Nick Fouch to DB (either CB or Safety)
Trase LeTexier to TE
Josh Deshner to RB
Dante Olson to DE
Jed Nagler to LB
Matt Rensvold to TE
Bryson Deming to TE
Colin Binmgham to TE
Esai Longoria to OL.

grizfan1984 said:
After looking at the roster on the spring prospectus. There has been several changes and I do not think this is the overall spring roster as it doesn't list any walk-ons as we have had several in the years past. Here is the position changes I see.

Caleb Hill to TE
Trase LeTexier to TE
Josh Deshner to RB
Dante Olson to DE
Jed Nagler to LB
Matt Rensvold to TE
Bryson Deming to TE
Colin Binmgham to TE
Esai Longoria to OL.

I'm not sure I like some of those...and that's the list I'd guess most of those that leave after Spring comes from. Those that volunteered for the better of the team, great work and thank you. I played a few different positions in college because I was asked. I sure hope these guys were asked and not "told". If everyone has the desire to improve the team, and are not "me first", this could work out well. Perhaps some are for spring experiments and they will end up at their initial position in fall.

Eaton and Hill wanted to make the move for sure. Bingham, Rensvold and Deming were already tight ends with a WR next to the name on the roster. LeTexier not sure on. He recently changed his Twitter, and it says "glorified OL". I like the Longoria move, but, that could also just be a spring ball thing because of the lack of bodies on the OL.

AZDoc said:
grizfan1984 said:

Caleb Hill to TE
Trase LeTexier to TE
Josh Deshner to RB
Dante Olson to DE
Jed Nagler to LB
Matt Rensvold to TE
Bryson Deming to TE
Colin Binmgham to TE
Esai Longoria to OL.

I'm not sure I like some of those...and that's the list I'd guess most of those that leave after Spring comes from. Those that volunteered for the better of the team, great work and thank you. I played a few different positions in college because I was asked. I sure hope these guys were asked and not "told". If everyone has the desire to improve the team, and are not "me first", this could work out well. Perhaps some are for spring experiments and they will end up at their initial position in fall.

I thought LeTexier was going to Fullback?

George Ferguson said:
Eaton and Hill wanted to make the move for sure. Bingham, Rensvold and Deming were already tight ends with a WR next to the name on the roster. LeTexier not sure on. He recently changed his Twitter, and it says "glorified OL". I like the Longoria move, but, that could also just be a spring ball thing because of the lack of bodies on the OL.

Yeah this Spring is a feeling out process to see what guys can do for this staff. Olson they liked his pass rushing skills so they want to see him as a DE but could move back. Longoria I’ve heard is mostly because we need bodies there to put out a couple OL squads. If he does well there he’ll stay but likely will move back if we can gain some depth there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizfan1984 said:

Caleb Hill to TE
Trase LeTexier to TE
Josh Deshner to RB
Dante Olson to DE
Jed Nagler to LB
Matt Rensvold to TE
Bryson Deming to TE
Colin Binmgham to TE
Esai Longoria to OL.

I will say the gogriz roster is not updated to say that. Do you have a link?

George Ferguson said:

That's what I was thinking as well...let's hope. Interesting how we went from plenty of OL with good recruits to just fill in to needing to bring DL over to fill

dayday said:
grizfan1984 said:

Caleb Hill to TE
Trase LeTexier to TE
Josh Deshner to RB
Dante Olson to DE
Jed Nagler to LB
Matt Rensvold to TE
Bryson Deming to TE
Colin Binmgham to TE
Esai Longoria to OL.

I will say the gogriz roster is not updated to say that. Do you have a link?

If you go to the first article about spring ball opening up their is a link to the spring prospectus. I don't think that is 100% accurate because their is no new names or walkons listed. I'm pretty sure at least Dawson McGlothlin and Gabe Hupp are still on the team.

George Ferguson said:

For what it's worth, Trase was a very good high school offensive tackle and basketball player on top of being an All-State MLB. He's a good athlete who should develop nicely at TE.

VimSince03 said:
George Ferguson said:

For what it's worth, Trase was a very good high school offensive tackle and basketball player on top of being an All-State MLB. He's a good athlete who should develop nicely at TE.

I agree, Trase was a very good high school basketball player with good explosion and speed. His athleticism was very noticeable. Good hands. I think he would be invaluable as an FB/HBack/TE on offense. :clap: Tough kid.

Bobby is back...let the second guessing begin again...seems to me when Bobby was here before, a lot of what he did was a surprise to the public.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZDoc said:
grizfan1984 said:

Caleb Hill to TE
Trase LeTexier to TE
Josh Deshner to RB
Dante Olson to DE
Jed Nagler to LB
Matt Rensvold to TE
Bryson Deming to TE
Colin Binmgham to TE
Esai Longoria to OL.

I thought LeTexier was going to Fullback?

He is...that's the joke. A Fullback is a glorified OL.

The most curious move is Nagler to LB....in my opinion at least. Why not TE? He’s a hell of an athlete, I hope he adjusts well and gets on the field soon.

brewskis said:
The most curious move is Nagler to LB....in my opinion at least. Why not TE? He’s a hell of an athlete, I hope he adjusts well and gets on the field soon.

No need for “atheletes” at the LB position? Seems like a number of them from the prior regime are being looked @ in other positions, so there’s clearly a need. Hauck said he wants the best 11 in the field, seems like a sound philosophy to me.

bgbigdog said:
brewskis said:

No need for “atheletes” at the LB position? Seems like a number of them from the prior regime are being looked @ in other positions, so there’s clearly a need. Hauck said he wants the best 11 in the field, seems like a sound philosophy to me.
Josh Buss was arguably the best RB in his recruiting class. Choices have to be made.

bgbigdog said:
brewskis said:

You know what I meant.

LB has guys like Matthews, Jace Lewis, Key, and Welnel....all have at least one season of practice experience.

TE is a brand new position group, with the only known commodity being Bingham.

You tell me where you think Nagler could make the biggest impact.

I’m not saying it’s a bad move, all I said was that I hope he adjusts to the change well and gets on the field soon.

AZDoc said:
grizfan1984 said:

Caleb Hill to TE
Trase LeTexier to TE
Josh Deshner to RB
Dante Olson to DE
Jed Nagler to LB
Matt Rensvold to TE
Bryson Deming to TE
Colin Binmgham to TE
Esai Longoria to OL.

The discussion usually goes along "the best chance to maximize playing time."

brewskis said:
bgbigdog said:
brewskis said:

You know what I meant.

LB has guys like Matthews, Jace Lewis, Key, and Welnel....all have at least one season of practice experience.

TE is a brand new position group, with the only known commodity being Bingham.

You tell me where you think Nagler could make the biggest impact.

I’m not saying it’s a bad move, all I said was that I hope he adjusts to the change well and gets on the field soon.

Of course I did. It’s likely that all these kids played offense & defense & specials all throughout HS. Nagler is a great athelete & a football player which is why they’ll find him a place to show that. I don’t think anyone knows, one practice into spring, where he’ll be best suited, but moving him to LB shows you they think the world of his abilities.

Nagler to LB does make a lot of sense. If he transitions smoothly, this could pay dividends this season. Think about how inexperienced we are currently at CB. That could lead to some pass defense struggles. To me, it makes sense to find solid coverage LB's, which means having good speed, size, and hands. Nagler has all those things. I can honestly see him being a coverage LB for passing downs to start. At least that would be a huge factor in my thinking. Good coverage LBs are hard to come by in a pass happy conference.

I am guessing, the staff is seeing pass defense as possible defensive weakness. They are likely trying to turnover every rock to find the right combinations to improve their biggest defensive concern. I am surprised that Calhoun is not moving to CB.

I just want to see Longoria on the field this season, regardless of position. That kid is huge and very strong. I am guessing, he will get a shot at OT, if he remains on the OL. If it doesn't work out, he will likely see a lot of rotational minutes at DT, anyway.

Back