• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp discussion: Offense

BWahlberg

DONOR
Griz Nation, we're less than 1 week from spring ball getting started! Thought some spring ball discussion would be a welcome point here now that we're so damn close!

As everyone knows spring camps will be open, I'm going to guess that Amie, Nick Puckett, and possibly Kyle will be doing some live tweet updates. I'll be at a bunch but I'll leave the rapid fire updates to the reporters, as always though I'll share some thoughts.

As for spring camp, wanted to take a look at the offense first, I'll put up a defense thread later in the week.

Quarterback - Obviously we've got our returning starter and rising star Gresch Jensen back at the helm and I can't imagine he'll not open as QB1. For Gresch what will be interesting to watch for is his adaptation to Rosy's offense. As it's been widely reported Gresch is a smart kid and a fast learner. I'm hoping to see some improved pocket presence and footwork from Gresch, he's going to have his full compliment of WRs practically so he should be dialed in on his passing game. Behind Gresch the two burning questions are if Sneed will push him and if Hill has made some good leaps forward. These two will be battling for the backup job. I'll be checking for Sneed's cohesion with the team, post-twitter dust up with Buss. I'll also be very curious to see how Hill looks and if he's made some good progression. Wilson's the young buck and will presumably get more of the late mop-up duty but I saw some good stuff from him in the fall, in the last fall camp "closed scrimmage" he lead the freshman team on a tremendous TD drive.

Running Back - RB essentially has all the same dudes from last year. Usually once Bobby has identified his workhorse RB he eases back their workload in camps and then really tests the 2/3/4 guys to figure that role out. Will he do that here? Unsure. Calhoun was dinged up most of the season, not sure if he is 100% for spring. Green should be fully healthy. Lee was the split-starter. Behind them I'm really interested to see if "Tuk" (Terron Moses) is ready to shine, that kid impressed in the fall. There's also McCombs and Eastwood too. I'm thinking this spring will be a great chance for these guys to show Bobby who the best backs are for his offense.

Wide Receiver - So we've had a walk on and a younger guy leave but outside of Horner everyone is back here as well. Obviously there's some things that most of Griz nation wants to see, improved catching especially on contested passes, and improved run blocking. Last year's WR corps really was a self-motivating group, Keenan Curran and Sammy Akem were both big time vocal leaders, with the change in coaching styles and I assume some dynamic, will that still be there? Will any of these current WRs be DBs now? I'm really interested to see how they shake this group up. If the primary offense is to have 3 WRs starting we'll have quite the group to narrow that down.

Tight End / Fullback - The only guy we're for sure that will be at this position right now is Colin Bingham, so I'll be more fascinated to see who else they've got contributing in these roles. I've seen names put out here like Nagler and a few younger guys at TE and maybe a converted LB at FB as well...

Offensive Line - So we know Jackson is out, which is a big loss for developing the starting OL as he was battling Ralston up until the start of the season at RT, I kind of figured Thayne was going to lock down RT right away. We also know Stoner has quit and that there's talk of a few other OL guys missing spring ball as they're on the mend from various things. It's going to be interesting to see if they can form a 2-deep even and if it can effectively work against what appears to be a pretty skilled D-line that's coming back. My prediction was that the #1 OL would be Beaver, Villanueva, Meyer, Scott, Jackson (I think...) so hopefully most of the main guys in contention are going to be able to give it a go. I think most Griz fans are "worried" about the OL simply because we're replacing 4 starters with a group that has virtually no starts under their belts and very limited experience. I believe the talent is there, the size/strength is there, they've got the same coach they've had the last 2-3 years, but they have to prove it and now's the time.

Scheme - It's spring camp, it's install, I don't expect Rosenbach to really "show" much, but I think we'll quickly see more of his design and I want to see how the players adapt and respond to it.

Happy for some football - thanks.

Did we hear earlier that Hall might be bulking up for a position change? You’d know better, but if it’s true, Wilson moves a little closer to front of the line.

Easton & Moses look like an intriguing options, Lee’s steady & here’s hoping Calhoun can have a healthy & productive senior season.

No worries @ receiver.

& did we hear nine months for Jackson? So there’s a chance he winds up back late season? They need some help/depth there no doubt.

The offense he used the year McKinney & Moore were in the backfield might be a nice transitional move for this group.

bgbigdog said:
Happy for some football - thanks.

Did we hear earlier that Hall might be bulking up for a position change? You’d know better, but if it’s true, Wilson moves a little closer to front of the line.

Easton & Moses look like an intriguing options, Lee’s steady & here’s hoping Calhoun can have a healthy & productive senior season.

No worries @ receiver.

& did we hear nine months for Jackson? So there’s a chance he winds up back late season? They need some help/depth for sure.

Hall - do you mean Hill at QB? I'm not sure, I know some suggested he go the Simis route, but I also know Bobby likes to have 1 QB in each class. Guess we'll see next week!

Jackson - I've read some differing posts some saying 9 months, which would be... not ideal. Others that he could be up and participating in summer conditioning and ready for fall camp if all goes well. Many times we see that when OL guys rush back from big surgeries it's not a good result, so hopefully he does what needs to be done to make a full recovery.

Moses - oh man, I'm excited to see what they do with him. I'd venture if they don't want JLM doing PR/KR duty they may give him a good look there. He's a little dude, hoping he's bulked up a bit, but not to the point that he's lost his athleticism. I think the prior staff believed he would probably transition to JLM's slot WR role, but not sure what Bobby will do there.

What position is the easiest to learn for a new Offense and Defense? I don't mean easiest, but quickest to master under a new system? IMO it would be WR but that is only my opinion. I never had to master a second system so I do not know.

It was Hill, thanks Brent.

I know JLM isn’t Mariani, so forgive me the comparison, but I think Bobby/Rosey are going to feature a game breaker like JLM where they can. I think he plays significantly more disciplined within the offense & special teams.

bgbigdog said:

I know JLM isn’t Mariani, so forgive me the comparison, but I think Bobby/Rosey are going to feature a game breaker like JLM where they can. I think he plays significantly more disciplined within the offense & special teams.

Love this young man JLM! Every time he gets the ball, know one knows what will happen, this guy is electric!

bgbigdog said:

Agreed, I put a post up before (I'd have to go back and find it) where I put up the annual stats of the smaller/slot WR in Bobby's offenses the last time he was here, it was pretty good numbers most years. I'd assume a guy as talented as JLM is going to be put all over the field as much as possible. Having him on PR and maybe KR duty only makes sense. Look at the NAU game last year, devoid of a real offense Jerry helped win that game in a major way.

Also haha on the Brent post, as a Packer fan always makes me think of this:

412_49_grande.jpeg

Yeah really interested to see what Rosey does with scheme. I like that him and Hauck are about being flexible. Cater the offense to your talent. OL is a trouble spot for this offense as far as actual bodies for spring and experience. I would expect that to mean that defense will lead the way most of Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
Yeah really interested to see what Rosey does with scheme. I like that him and Hauck are about being flexible. Cater the offense to your talent. OL is a trouble spot for this offense as far as actual bodies for spring and experience. I would expect that to mean that defense will lead the way most of Spring.

As it should be...

dayday said:

Agreed. I've seen some spring camps where, for the sake install, they've pretty much instructed the DE's/DT's to pop and push hard on first contact and then just stand there.

I can confirm that Hill has been moved to TE to take advantage of his athleticism. He’s up to about 230 and working hard learning the position.

SoldierGriz said:
dayday said:

As it should be...

Well yes but not if it is because the OL is not up to par. Provides a false sense assurance in the DL. Not sure if that will happen but is a initial concern going into Spring. I’ll be honest I nor does anyone else really know what to expect. It will be exciting and maybe concerning at times but just remember there’s a long ways to go still until that first game.

dayday said:
SoldierGriz said:
dayday said:

As it should be...

Well yes but not if it is because the OL is not up to par. Provides a false sense assurance in the DL. Not sure if that will happen but is a initial concern going into Spring. I’ll be honest I nor does anyone else really know what to expect. It will be exciting and maybe concerning at times but just remember there’s a long ways to go still until that first game.

Yep - my post was poorly done. I meant defenses are typically ahead of offenses early in the cycle...and I really want dominant Griz defenses going forward. I'd also like a dominant offensive line. :)

Grizzly96 said:
I can confirm that Hill has been moved to TE to take advantage of his athleticism. He’s up to about 230 and working hard learning the position.

Nice! Awesome show of commitment to the team.

Grizzly96 said:

Wow. Good for him...and the Team!

reinell30 said:
What position is the easiest to learn for a new Offense and Defense? I don't mean easiest, but quickest to master under a new system? IMO it would be WR but that is only my opinion. I never had to master a second system so I do not know.

Running back, see the hole hit the hole.

reinell30 said:

RB is instinctual outside of pass protection, so I’d say this position group should ease into Rosey’s O, especially since it shouldn’t be a complete overhaul in scheme.

Any word on Oline playing zone or gap (my assumption is gap)...that requires reps, cohesion and trust which just takes time so aside from newer bodies at that position, I’m most interested in the trenches

Back