• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA Rules Survey

violin

I saw this on another fan board and thought it would be interesting to discuss.

The NCAA rules committee is seeking input from coaches, administrators, and officials prior to the rules committee meeting. This usually is an indication of the types of things they are going to discuss. Most of these will not pass, but they are least discussing them. Here's something good to chew on during the offseason.

What is your opinion about the previous rules changes below?

* It is a foul if a defensive player runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps or hurdles in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try.

* The Horse Collar tackle now includes grabbing the nameplate area.

What is your opinion about the points of emphasis below?

* Halftime intermission is 20 minutes and is not extended beyond that time.

* Coaches may not leave the coaching box to protest officiating decisions.

NEW RULES TOPICS/EMPHASIS

Share your opinion on the following:

* After an official signals a Touchdown, the 40 second play clock will start for the Try.

* After a punt or free kick where there is no subsequent media time-out, the 40 second play clock will start for the next snap.

* The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.

* After an incomplete pass, the clock stops. When the ball is ready for play, the clock will start on the referee’s signal, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would start on the snap. (Note: This rule would mirror the out-of-bounds rules.)

* The committee should allow, for Conference Games only, the experimental use of technology for Coach to Player communications.

* Under current rules, hurdling is illegal EXCEPT by the ball carrier. It should also be illegal for the ball carrier to hurdle an opponent.

* Under current rules, blindside blocks are legal unless the action is targeting. Blindside blocks would remain legal only if forcible contact was delivered with open hands and extended arms or if the block was a screen type block without delivering forcible contact.

* Based on AFCA feedback, blocking below the waist in the open field on scrimmage downs should be illegal, just as blocking below the waist currently is during kick downs and after a change of possession. Should the committee consider making blocking below the waist illegal when the block occurs 10 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage on scrimmage plays?

* The committee should consider not allowing symbols, words, numbers or logos on the mouthpiece with the exception of a single school, manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal label or trademark.

* The committee should change the Instant Replay rules to allow the IR Official to review this foul only if the call was made on the field. This would be paired with a modification to the officiating mechanics that would state that “when in question” it is a foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield.

* The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Defensive Pass Interference a Spot Foul even if the foul occurs more than 15 yards from the previous spot.

* The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Offensive Pass Interference a 10 yard penalty from the previous spot.

* Under current rules, it is illegal for the receiving team to form a three man wedge. Should the committee consider making a two man wedge illegal?

* Under current rules, the replay official shall review every play of the game to determine if a stop is warranted. In order to potentially reduce the number of replay stops, the committee should allow replay to review all scoring plays and plays involving a change of possession, and every play inside the last two minutes of each half and during overtime. The head coach may initiate a challenge at any time within the game by utilizing a team timeout. If the challenge is successful, the head coach retains the challenge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stripping the Football when Ball Carrier is engaged with an opponent, I believe this practice has become totally out of control.

Since kickoffs and punts are considered the most dangerous, I believe if a team is called for blocking in the back on KO or punt return the other team should be awarded 2 points. Why? Since it is so dangerous, it would stop or limit the blocks in the back calls and we could see a return game return. Nothing pisses me off more in a game when you have a beautiful return only to see it called back by a block in the back. Most of these calls are BS.

* Halftime intermission is 20 minutes and is not extended beyond that time

This should be changed to an hour and a half to allow fans to get back into the stadium...

reinell30 said:
Since kickoffs and punts are considered the most dangerous, I believe if a team is called for blocking in the back on KO or punt return the other team should be awarded 2 points. Why? Since it is so dangerous, it would stop or limit the blocks in the back calls and we could see a return game return. Nothing pisses me off more in a game when you have a beautiful return only to see it called back by a block in the back. Most of these calls are BS.
I don't believe block in the back is a safety foul. If it was it would be a 15-yard penalty. It's more like a hold so it's 10 yards.

violin said:
reinell30 said:
I don't believe block in the back is a safety foul. If it was it would be a 15-yard penalty. It's more like a hold so it's 10 yards.

Yes, I understand what the penalty is now. What I am saying is, 2 pt awarded to the opposing team for the blocking in the back foul should be added to stop it.

reinell30 said:
violin said:
reinell30 said:

Yes, I understand what the penalty is now. What I am saying is, 2 pt awarded to the opposing team for the blocking in the back foul should be added to stop it.

Ok...you said if it's that dangerous they should penalize it more which made me think you thought it was a penalty because of safety.

Half of the suggested rules are to shorten the game. Cripes, why not just have a 5-min field goal contest and then we’ll all go home?

* Under current rules, hurdling is illegal EXCEPT by the ball carrier. It should also be illegal for the ball carrier to hurdle an opponent.

Disagree....keep current rule. Ball carrier should be allowed to hurdle opponents.

* The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Defensive Pass Interference a Spot Foul even if the foul occurs more than 15 yards from the previous spot.

I can’t believe I’m going to try and give the BS officials a chance to think but...

PI where a defensive player obviously commits a penalty to avoid a catch should be spot of foul. 15 yards for regular PI.

IE. don’t allow a team to benefit from a player tackling/ grabbing someone without the ball that is going to beat them downfield for a catch.

Many seem like time saving or some safety moves, most seem to make sense. A few though...

- 40 second clock starting after a TD. So run like hell off the field, don't celebrate. C'mon man, let the guys at least have a bit of fun.

- Illegal for the ball carrier to hurdle. I'm on the fence with this, I know it's an injury prevention attempt, but it would seem to handcuff some athletic players abilities.

- Symbols on the mouthpiece... really? Is this an issue? They're that concerned about moutpieces with fangs on them or whatever?

- Defensive pass interference a spot foul anywhere on the field. Hate this rule in the NFL and I like it the way it is in the NCAA right now, spot foul within 15 or just a 15 yarder.

- 2 man wedge illegal... would that pretty much end wide receiver screens? Don't change this.

BWahlberg said:
- 2 man wedge illegal... would that pretty much end wide receiver screens? Don't change this.

No. It's on kick returns. You used to be able to form a 3 man wedge in front of the returner but they became a foul several years ago. Now they are considering getting rid of a 2 man wedge. Seems silly.

violin said:
BWahlberg said:

No. It's on kick returns. You used to be able to form a 3 man wedge in front of the returner but they became a foul several years ago. Now they are considering getting rid of a 2 man wedge. Seems silly.

Gotcha, I read that a little too quick then. Indifferent on that rule then I suppose, seems a little silly, agreed.

GGNez said:

Disagree....keep current rule. Ball carrier should be allowed to hurdle opponents.

Todd Gurley would certainly agree with you....

CV Griz Fan said:
GGNez said:

Todd Gurley would certainly agree with you....

Indeed! He's an exemplary example of why we can't take this away from the game.

BWahlberg said:
- Defensive pass interference a spot foul anywhere on the field. Hate this rule in the NFL and I like it the way it is in the NCAA right now, spot foul within 15 or just a 15 yarder.
Agreed.

There is a very limited amount of times where this foul is/can be abused in the current system.

I’d also say that less than 30% of PI calls are really egregious.

The vast majority are subjective calls that shouldn’t hamper the DB’s ability to contest the catch. I can’t count how many times in the last few years I’ve seen DBs in the NFL not even try because they’re too afraid of PI. (Marcus Williams, anyone?)

And it’s not like 15 yards is anything to sneeze at. It’d be interesting to see the points per drive numbers in drives that had a 15-yarder, and those that didn’t. I’d imagine the difference is significant.

tl;dr We don’t need this dumb rule in college football.

reinell30 said:
violin said:
reinell30 said:

Except it would not stop it.

HelenaHandBasket said:
reinell30 said:
violin said:
reinell30 said:

Except it would not stop it.

Agree it wouldn't. But something has to be done so returns mean something again... I know this rule has been around for ever,(Blocking in the back) something has got to change to stop it from happening. I love a punt or kickoff returned for a TD. The damn block in the back has negated too many.

AZDoc said:
Stupid to start the clock after incomplete pass
I agree. Games are long because of TV timeouts and replay, not because of any timing rules.

Back