• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruiting changes with new staff

Paytonlives

Staff member
One of the changes that Hauck has changed and was much needed is the way walkons are treated.

Coach Stitt never seemed to care about even offering PWOs and Hauck gave Atleast 7 of them out. Stitt never even announced them on signing day and Hauck honored them at the recruiting parties.

Everyone knows being a walk on is a grueling adventure. But UM has a tradition of seeing these dudes not only playing but competing at the next level. So for that I say thank you Coach Hauck!!!

I would also add that Hauck is looking for ass kickers. IE More physical. I would also bet UM sees a lot of drop downs and transfers this Summer.

Paytonlives said:
I would also add that Hauck is looking for ass kickers. IE More physical. I would also bet UM sees a lot of drop downs and transfers this Summer.

I hope so. Recruiting these days, with the advent of social media, has almost become anti-climactic. Love a surprise transfer or two to shake up the monotony.

If I were a player I would be more afraid of the true walkon guy, (meaning has talent) than some of the others. The walkon has a chip and something to prove as has been seen under Hauck.

grizare#1 said:
If I were a player I would be more afraid of the true walkon guy, (meaning has talent) than some of the others. The walkon has a chip and something to prove as has been seen under Hauck.
Many of the schollership players have a chip on their shoulder because they were shunned by FBS and wound up in FCS.

kemajic said:
grizare#1 said:
Many of the scholarship players have a chip on their shoulder because they were shunned by FBS and wound up in FCS.
Agreed. Gives them an incentive to work that much harder to prove the doubters wrong. And let's not overlook the fact that the new rules give them a chance to have a late-career move up for some FBS exposure. Did not really work for Vernon Adams, but it has for some.

Either way -- "spurned" by FBS or "only" a walk-on -- the young man has to be ready to channel his frustration into working harder and learning everything he can.

i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
YEP!Of Mariani, Reynolds and JLM some were walk ons I think???
i_the_sky said:

Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson were walk-ons. I don't think Chase Reynolds was; as he was one with a schollarship offer. Big deal from an eight-man football team at Drummond at the time.

Trust me, when it comes to walk-on's the true walk on carries the chip! Everyone else is getting money and thus the better opportunity.. The walk on isn't costing anything per say. So he starts last on the dept chart and works his way up inch by inch, from day one, with heart and grit! Determination gets him advancement because he didn't come in with money used on him. And the big money guy gets first place until you beat him out! (RIGHTFULLY SO) ! I walked on in at UM in 1970 and was so far down the dept chart you couldn't see my name on the bulletin board. Fact is the name tape came off my helmet and my position coach didn't even know my name. Three scrimmages later, some serious hitting, a couple forced fumbles and a new piece of tape with my name on it and I went from five to number one on the dept chart and actually started on the scout team.. It was a great teaching moment. It helped me in basic training the service and in life afterwards. The walk on has something to prove or he wouldn't be walking on! More like a log than a chip!!! Go Griz!

i_the_sky said:
Trust me, when it comes to walk-on's the true walk on carries the chip! Everyone else is getting money and thus the better opportunity.. The walk on isn't costing anything per say. So he starts last on the dept chart and works his way up inch by inch, from day one, with heart and grit! Determination gets him advancement because he didn't come in with money used on him. And the big money guy gets first place until you beat him out! (RIGHTFULLY SO) ! I walked on in at UM in 1970 and was so far down the dept chart you couldn't see my name on the bulletin board. Fact is the name tape came off my helmet and my position coach didn't even know my name. Three scrimmages later, some serious hitting, a couple forced fumbles and a new piece of tape with my name on it and I went from five to the top of the dept chart and actually started on the scout team.. It was a great teaching moment. It helped me in basic training the service and in life afterwards. The walk on has something to prove or he wouldn't be walking on! More like a log than a chip!!! Go Griz!

i_the_sky said:
Trust me, when it comes to walk-on's the true walk on carries the chip! Everyone else is getting money and thus the better opportunity.. The walk on isn't costing anything per say. So he starts last on the dept chart and works his way up inch by inch, from day one, with heart and grit! Determination gets him advancement because he didn't come in with money used on him. And the big money guy gets first place until you beat him out! (RIGHTFULLY SO) ! I walked on in at UM in 1970 and was so far down the dept chart you couldn't see my name on the bulletin board. Fact is the name tape came off my helmet and my position coach didn't even know my name. Three scrimmages later, some serious hitting, a couple forced fumbles and a new piece of tape with my name on it and I went from five to the top of the dept chart and actually started on the scout team.. It was a great teaching moment. It helped me in basic training the service and in life afterwards. The walk on has something to prove or he wouldn't be walking on! More like a log than a chip!!! Go Griz!

i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:

You make my brain hurt

i_the_sky said:
YEP! Mariani, Reynolds and JLM were all walk ons I think??? At least some were!
Jlm was? That surprises me. I would've figured him for a scholarship. I guess size? Is what prevented him from getting a scholarship initially?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WyomingGrizFan said:
i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:

Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson were walk-ons. I don't think Chase Reynolds was; as he was one with a schollarship offer. Big deal from an eight-man football team at Drummond at the time.

This is my recollection too.

Allezchat said:
i_the_sky said:
Jlm was? That surprises me. I would've figured him for a scholarship. I guess size? Is what prevented him from getting a scholarship initially?

I believe JLM was a walk-on. Ferriter knew him and hs family from recruiting the older brother to Ida St. I agree with your surprise. JLM's high school tape showed what he is showing now. Suppose you are right; just size.

Catsrgrood said:
i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:

You make my brain hurt

Not just your brain....

PlayerRep said:
Allezchat said:
i_the_sky said:

I believe JLM was a walk-on. Ferriter knew him and hs family from recruiting the older brother to Ida St. I agree with your surprise. JLM's high school tape showed what he is showing now. Suppose you are right; just size.
possible native american scholarship?

Allezchat said:
i_the_sky said:

Yes size was the reason for JLM. Same for Colt Anderson.

Their talent was clear in HS (As a SR, Colt was a All-State First-Team Class AA Safety and Honorable Mention running back on an 0-9 team. And during his HS career, Colt recorded 310 tackles,)

Back