• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tackling a Culture of Sexism

NorthEndZoneDan

DONOR
Saw this on the twitter today and thought it might be worthwhile attending.

https://www.facebook.com/events/809896625864283/

"After the announcement that Bobby Hauck was returning to the University of Montana Grizzly Football team as head coach, there was an online petition signed by over 800 people who were concerned about a culture of entitlement and toxic masculinity returning to our community.

Our voices were heard and Grizzly Athletics continues to assure us they do not support a culture that encourages sexual misconduct or abuses and agreed to this forum as a way of continuing community discussion and provide an opportunity for us to express our concerns.

Members of the Missoula Community who are concerned about toxic masculinity, sexism, sexual harassment, and sexual abuse within our local collegiate athletics are invited to attend this forum and panel discussion with:

Bobby Hauck (head football coach, Grizzly Athletics)
Drew Colling (SARC)
Lisa Davey (petition creator, UM student, Missoula Rises)
Rebecca Weston (psychotherapist for trauma victims)
Brint Whalberg (Griz Nation Fan and Missoula Rises Member)
And Moderator Erin Erickson

There will be brief introductory comments from 7-7:30 with panel discussion from 7:30-8:30."

Five 'man' firing squad, and Bobby. :roll: How the hell did he allow himself to be put in this situation and where was Haslam and Bodnar? This is not a forum, it's a crucifixition.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Members of the Missoula Community who are concerned about toxic masculinity, sexism, sexual harassment, and sexual abuse within our local collegiate athletics are invited to attend this forum...

Just my :twocents:, FWIW:
"I like the masculine spirit. It's necessary and it's not fundamentally carnage and pillaging. It's not fundamentally rape culture. It's not fundamentally world destroying. And all of those things - all of those aspersions - have been cast upon it...And those are reasonable challenges to be set before men, but they're not reasonable accusations to swallow without criticism." - Jordan Peterson
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAWfM6PXsc[/youtube]

I like the reference to "tackling". That's a good start.

I know what sexism is, but what is a "culture" of sexism.

I always wondered what "rape culture" is too. Assumed its just a buzz word that someone made up and is popular to use.

I'm going to try to come up with some phrases. "Narrative Culture" - a culture that causes participants and followers to expose and believe in narrative, instead of facts or reality.

Was Brint invited to join the panel to present the statistics in the form of assorted charts and graphs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthEndZoneDan said:

"After the announcement that Bobby Hauck was returning to the University of Montana Grizzly Football team as head coach, there was an online petition signed by over 800 people who were concerned about a culture of entitlement and toxic masculinity returning to our community.

Our voices were heard and Grizzly Athletics continues to assure us they do not support a culture that encourages sexual misconduct or abuses and agreed to this forum as a way of continuing community discussion and provide an opportunity for us to express our concerns.

Members of the Missoula Community who are concerned about toxic masculinity, sexism, sexual harassment, and sexual abuse within our local collegiate athletics are invited to attend this forum and panel discussion with:

Bobby Hauck (head football coach, Grizzly Athletics)
Drew Colling (SARC)
Lisa Davey (petition creator, UM student, Missoula Rises)
Brint Whalberg (Griz Nation Fan and Missoula Rises Member)

There will be brief introductory comments from 7-7:30 with panel discussion from 7:30-8:30."

Yes!

blackfootipa said:
Was Brint invited to join the panel to present the statistics in the form of assorted charts and graphs?

He’s Bobby’s muscle. Mostly he’s just there to look mean and threaten people with rising property taxes in Missoula.

When I was a student at UM, the so called culture of sexism was often initiated by women.
In fact, as a bartender at a very popular college place, often I was approached in an aggressive manner by those of the female species.
Aren’t women today behaving in a similar fashion?

blackfootipa said:

Indeed I was, I impressed them with my charts and graphs skills

tourist said:
Five 'man' firing squad, and Bobby. :roll: How the hell did he allow himself to be put in this situation and where was Haslam and Bodnar? This is not a forum, it's a crucifixition.

Uh... we'll see but I support Bobby and his hire and actually applaud him for doing this. He's showing his true commitment to what he said in his press conference that this type of behavior will not be tolerated while he's the head coach.

I'm hoping I can also help bridge the gap that there's a lot of common ground between each side as an example of a progressive, a local, and a sports fan.

BWahlberg said:
tourist said:

Uh... we'll see but I support Bobby and his hire and actually applaud him for doing this. He's showing his true commitment to what he said in his press conference that this type of behavior will not be tolerated while he's the head coach.

I'm hoping I can also help bridge the gap that there's a lot of common ground between each side as an example of a progressive, a local, and a sports fan.

Good for you Brint. You have my full support and I wish I could be there.

daGrizJ said:
BWahlberg said:
tourist said:

^This...Brint, I believe you will provide a good intermediary voice in this discussion. Not someone who is so connected to the narrative of either side, they are unable to see the positives of the opposing viewpoint.

What is a "culture of sexism"? I can't find a definition. I see that some article says ESPN has a culture of sexism. Is there a difference between sexism and a culture of sexism? Is a place where sexism is encouraged or condoned a "culture"? I don't get the culture part.

I think the "culture" part is more narrative than reality.

Is there such a thing as a "culture of man-hating"? Or is it illegal to even ask that question?

grizband said:
daGrizJ said:
BWahlberg said:
tourist said:

^This...Brint, I believe you will provide a good intermediary voice in this discussion. Not someone who is so connected to the narrative of either side, they are unable to see the positives of the opposing viewpoint.

That's my hope, I'm a member of The Misoula Rises FB group as I do support many of their causes and have taken part in some of their recent calls to action. Some of the items they've recently really rallied to, such as healthcare concerns and how it impacts families with disabilities (like mine) were a big deal for me.

Of course as all know on here I'm pretty damn big Griz fan too. I think just like GGNez has posted on here before there's a big group of fans just like her (and me) that blend on both sides of this discussion.

Who are these people?

Drew Colling (Drew Colling (SARC)

Back