• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Where's the Outrage?

PlayerRep

Penn St. gets crucified by the press, the NCAA, the PA Attorney General and many other organizations and people, but Michigan St, where this gymnastics team physician worked for Mich. St., essentially gets a pass. I don't get it.

It looks like over a 100 young gymnasts, including all or most of the Olympic teams, were seriously molested for several decades. How could that have happened? Where is the outrage now against Michigan State, US Gymnastics, and others?

Yes, there is some outrage, but it doesn't seem like Penn St level outrage. Is it because Penn St involved football and a football coach, and this one involves gymnastics? So, lots of people hate football, Penn St. and Paterno--so they got clobbered?

Again, I don't get it. In addition, where were the parents? Nasser's "special treatment". Are you kidding me?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/17/gold-medal-monster-victims-recount-years-abuse-by-usa-gymnastics-doctor-larry-nassar.html

Just found this article which seems to agree with me.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hasnt-larry-nassar-abuse-scandal-brought-msu-usa-gymnastics-crosshairs-like-jerry-sandusky-penn-state-004158895.html

I've been wondering the same thing. Not sure this is the place for this discussion, though.

PlayerRep said:
Penn St. gets crucified by the press, the NCAA, the PA Attorney General and many other organizations and people, but Michigan St, where this gymnastics team physician worked for Mich. St., essentially gets a pass. I don't get it.

It looks like over a 100 young gymnasts, including all or most of the Olympic teams, were seriously molested for several decades. How could that have happened? Where is the outrage now against Michigan State, US Gymnastics, and others?

Yes, there is some outrage, but it doesn't seem like Penn St level outrage. Is it because Penn St involved football and a football coach, and this one involves gymnastics? So, lots of people hate football, Penn St. and Paterno--so they got clobbered?

Again, I don't get it. In addition, where were the parents? Nasser's "special treatment". Are you kidding me?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/17/gold-medal-monster-victims-recount-years-abuse-by-usa-gymnastics-doctor-larry-nassar.html

Just found this article which seems to agree with me.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hasnt-larry-nassar-abuse-scandal-brought-msu-usa-gymnastics-crosshairs-like-jerry-sandusky-penn-state-004158895.html

I’ve been stewing on this for a long time. What a trash act. That sh$& really chaps my hide. Those girls went through more hell then we could ever imagine to even make that team, then the additional torture at the hands of a “team physician” really strikes a nerve with me. And to think I almost did my sports fellowship at Michigan state...ida worked with that ass clown.

I missed it. Is there evidence that Faculty and Staff at MSU knew about this and did nothing like the Penn State case?

From what I read today, it sounds like MSU was alerted to the problem long before it became news.

Americans have ,or are becoming, immune to the outrageous things we have seen. The 24/7 news cycle has to be fed. Lots of guilt to go around. These girls were junior high level when their parents sat idly by and let them be exploited by the media, the Olympic committees, the NCAA, etc. I have to say, I am glad I am older. I was shocked at the UTexas shootings, horrified at Columbine and now simply sad at the direction this country is taking.

"Understanding how Nassar gained unfettered access to young girls and young women over the course of a quarter-century -- despite repeated warning signs -- means confronting an uncomfortable truth: He didn't gain that access alone. Nassar was surrounded by a collection of adults who enabled his predatory behavior -- a group that included coaches of club, collegiate and elite-level gymnasts, the USA Gymnastics organization, medical professionals, administrators and coaches at Michigan State University, and gymnasts' parents, whom he groomed just as effectively as those he violated."

"John Geddert, who coached the 2012 U.S. Olympics gymnastics team in London, spent more than two decades working alongside Nassar."

"The two men were all but inseparable, professionally and socially. They worked together for more than 25 years, first at Great Lakes Gymnastics and, starting in 1996, at the gym Geddert owns now, Twistars USA Gymnastics Club near East Lansing. They worked the 2012 Olympics together. Geddert was in Nassar's wedding party when Nassar got married in East Lansing in 1996. They attended each other's house parties and traveled the country and, later, the world together at competitions. They vouched for each other when faced with career-threatening circumstances."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/22046031/michigan-state-university-doctor-larry-nassar-surrounded-enablers-abused-athletes-espn

"What MSU knew: 14 were warned of Nassar abuse

8 WOMEN REPORTED ABUSE CLAIMS, AT LEAST ONE OF WHICH REACHED PRESIDENT"

"Among the others who were aware of alleged abuse were athletic trainers, assistant coaches, a university police detective and an official who is now MSU’s assistant general counsel, according to university records and accounts of victims who spoke to The News.

Collectively, the accounts show MSU missed multiple opportunities over two decades to stop Nassar, a graduate of its osteopathic medical school who became a renowned doctor but went on to molest scores of girls and women under the guise of treating them for pain."

"Boyce — the first person who is believed to have told someone at MSU about Nassar — reported him in 1997, almost 20 years before he was fired and prosecuted.

A 16-year-old high school student in Williamston, east of Lansing, Boyce began seeing Nassar after hurting her back in a youth gymnastics program at MSU.

Nassar put his fingers inside Boyce during weekly visits with him at his university office, and in a room near where the gymnasts practiced at Jenison Field House.

After a long appointment with Nassar at Jenison, a coach asked Boyce what was happening during that time. Boyce told the coach, who insisted that Boyce tell MSU’s then-head gymnastics coach, Kathie Klages.

Boyce doesn’t remember the name of the female coach who approached her. But she still remembers the green carpet in Klages’ office and telling her Nassar had been “fingering” her during visits.

“She just couldn’t believe that was happening,” said Boyce, now 37. “She said I must be misunderstanding what was going on.”

Klages, who was MSU women’s gymnastics coach for 27 seasons, brought several of Boyce’s fellow youth program gymnasts into her office and asked them if Nassar did the same to them."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/tech/2018/01/18/msu-president-told-nassar-complaint-2014/1042071001/

GrizLA said:
Americans have ,or are becoming, immune to the outrageous things we have seen. The 24/7 news cycle has to be fed. Lots of guilt to go around. These girls were junior high level when their parents sat idly by and let them be exploited by the media, the Olympic committees, the NCAA, etc. I have to say, I am glad I am older. I was shocked at the UTexas shootings, horrified at Columbine and now simply sad at the direction this country is taking.

This country survived the Carter Administration. It will survive anything after that administration and evidently you are not old enough to remember the 60s and 70s. That was some serious disagreements as to the direction the country should take. Take it to the streets...

This scandal is 50 times worse than the Sandusky one, and Mich St. had 50 times more warnings than Penn St. did. Just making up the numbers. Many other organizations and people did too.

There are plenty of lawsuits, but, again, I don't see the expected level of outrage.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
Y’all do know that football’s a much bigger sport and gets a lot more attention than gymnastics in general, right?

Yes, I do.

So, are you saying that it's more okay for an MSU and US team doctor to blatantly assault over 100 young girls, with dozens of people knowing something, and multiple complaints, for 25 years; but it's not okay for an assistant and then former asst coach to assault 25 or boys, with perhaps one little piece of knowledge at Penn St, 15 or so years. And this is because one is football, and one is gymnastics?

This is part of the reason I started this thread, and why the topic relates to football. I am curious as to whether people think that football is what drove the Penn St scandal. And whether it was people's love or hate of football, or both.

I think there is as much or more outrage in general about this situation. Time will tell what penalties Michigan State will face. One difference the Penn State issue was focused on one sport and that's where the penalties were focussed. For the same thing to happen the Michigan State gymnastics team would face sanctions. If that happens most people wouldn't notice. I'm sure others will lose their jobs about this as well.

With the Penn State situation there was a lot of discussion about whether the NCAA needed to be involved. The argument was it was a school and legal issue. I don't know if I agree with that but it's a legitimate discussion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
Stop_HammerTime69 said:
Y’all do know that football’s a much bigger sport and gets a lot more attention than gymnastics in general, right?

Yes, I do.

So, are you saying that it's more okay for an MSU and US team doctor to blatantly assault over 100 young girls, with dozens of people knowing something, and multiple complaints, for 25 years; but it's not okay for an assistant and then former asst coach to assault 25 or boys, with perhaps one little piece of knowledge at Penn St, 15 or so years. And this is because one is football, and one is gymnastics?

This is part of the reason I started this thread, and why the topic relates to football. I am curious as to whether people think that football is what drove the Penn St scandal. And whether it was people's love or hate of football, or both.

Hammer, you should be ashamed of yourself. It’s one thing to think that. Most humans can’t control their impulse thoughts. But to actually put that out into the open is disgusting. All the ladies in your life should get to collectively line up and kick you in the balls. And not one after another. Like one per day to truly draw out the agony. On second thought, I pray there are no women in your life and if there are I pray for them and how you’ve probably treated them.

Two major things I see....

Not children (even though it is still just as wrong)

and

America( this is embarrassing for our country)

EDIT: Never mind on the children comment, I guess some of these women were pretty young.

PlayerRep said:
This scandal is 50 times worse than the Sandusky one, and Mich St. had 50 times more warnings than Penn St. did. Just making up the numbers. Many other organizations and people did too.

There are plenty of lawsuits, but, again, I don't see the expected level of outrage.

I don't do relativism regarding sexual assault crimes. Both situations are deplorable and this guy and his enablers should spend the rest of their life in prison!

...america considers women second class citizens...
...that's the chasm where the outrage gets lost...
...god help the movement working for change...

... :oops: ...

PlayerRep said:

Simple - folks don't really care all that much about gymnastics, but if you talk about taking away football? Then we have problems. Football is king in the US. Any news about it or potentially taking it away riles folks up more than any other sport. I believe the outrage to football is due to folks following it closely. I agree there should be more outrage about it, but frankly, I'm not surprised there isn't. It is too bad. Deplorable really.

grizpsych said:
I missed it. Is there evidence that Faculty and Staff at MSU knew about this and did nothing like the Penn State case?

Oh yeah. MULTIPLE notifications from various individuals.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Two major things I see....

Not children (even though it is still just as wrong)

and

America( this is embarrassing for our country)

EDIT: Never mind on the children comment, I guess some of these women were pretty young.

Yep....11-12 year olds most of 'em when he started on them.

Back