• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobcats add another former Griz Coach to staff...

Brother Bear

Haven't seen this posted yet but saw Bob Cole is going to be joining the staff in Bozeman.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/msu-hires-passing-game-coordinator/article_2071fc64-5174-5554-a3ea-0cd890afb9fa.html

Just another interesting element to the rivalry.

Brother Bear said:
Haven't seen this posted yet but saw Bob Cole is going to be joining the staff in Bozeman.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/msu-hires-passing-game-coordinator/article_2071fc64-5174-5554-a3ea-0cd890afb9fa.html

Just another interesting element to the rivalry.

FBC :)

Two things about Bob Cole:

1. He coached a very impressive Griz passing game with Drew Miller at the helm in 1999
2. He was a chain-smoking fool like no other I have ever seen

go96griz said:

1. He coached a very impressive Griz passing game with Drew Miller at the helm in 1999
If he still smokes like when he was with the Griz, he is already dead!

Did coach Cockhill replace coach Cole at UM back in the day at offensive coordinator? Then, Cole replaced Cockhill at Wyoming via Joe Glenn?

Brother Bear said:
Did coach Cockhill replace coach Cole at UM back in the day at offensive coordinator? Then, Cole replaced Cockhill at Wyoming via Joe Glenn?

No, Cole left with Dennehy for Utah State after the 1999 season. Glenn came in 2000 and brought in Ron Richards as the OC and that flopped so badly that Cockhill was elevated into calling plays after several games. After the season, Richards left and Cockhill was promoted to the OC. Not sure what happened after Glenn and Cockhill left for UW.

Weird...MSU’s HR department is able to pass an assistant along quickly through protocol then make a quick official announcement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go96griz said:

Lol! True and True.
Passing offense improves almost everywhere Cole goes, but rushing yards are the real surprise. If MSU has a decent QB, big if I know, they should clean up those loses of 3 points or less.

Quick Story on Ron Richards since he was mentioned in here:

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/had-its-ups-and-downs-for-ron-richards/article_d53ae7b2-aeb2-11de-a93d-001cc4c002e0.html

I actually feel bad for the guy after reading this. Seems he still has some regrets.

Looks like Glenn fired Cockhill at Wyoming in 2007 and hired Bob Cole to replace him.

https://247sports.com/college/wyoming/Article/Wyoming-Announces-Hiring-of-Bob-Cole-as-OC-104478808

lots of ties to former Montana coaches in the article. Back in 2007 he was going to make roughly $120,000+ to be O-Coodinator at Wyoming. Wonder what he'll make in 2018 as passing game coordinator at MSU?

AllWeatherFan said:
When did Cole leave Northern Illinois as their OC?

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2016/01/04/niu-still-mum-on-status-of-bob-cole-as-offensive-coordinator/a9kubzi/

https://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football/2016/1/1/10696426/niu-huskies-bob-cole-leaves-program

signedbewildered said:
How many Bobcats/X Bobcats have we wanted our staff in recent times?

#littlebro

I get a kick out of how this post along with the title of the thread implies that the Cats are just snatching up former Griz coaches every chance they get and that's how they're going to be relevant again.

This guy was the Griz OC for 2 seasons, 18 years ago, he's gone on to do much bigger and better things with his career since then. He coached together with both Choate and the Cats current OC, Armstrong, at previous stops. So there is a working relationship already in place. It just so happens that for 2 years of this guys 30 year career were spent in Missoula.

I think it's a great hire because he brings some serious experience and expertise to the part of the Cats program that is clearly the glaring weakness, the passing game.

Catsrgrood said:
signedbewildered said:

#littlebro

I get a kick out of how this post along with the title of the thread implies that the Cats are just snatching up former Griz coaches every chance they get and that's how they're going to be relevant again.

This guy was the Griz OC for 2 seasons, 18 years ago, he's gone on to do much bigger and better things with his career since then. He coached together with both Choate and the Cats current OC, Armstrong, at previous stops. So there is a working relationship already in place. It just so happens that for 2 years of this guys 30 year career were spent in Missoula.

I think it's a great hire because he brings some serious experience and expertise to the part of the Cats program that is clearly the glaring weakness, the passing game.

I see you posted the same incorrect information about Bob Cole that is listed on bobcat nation. I think that came from a reporter. Bob Cole was only on Montana's staff for one season in 1999. He then left with Mick Dennehy for Utah State. He applied for the Grizzly head coaching gig at least once and possibly twice after his departure.

As far as coaching, I loved the Griz's passing game during Bob's one season as OC. I think this is a great hire for MSU, but not sure the current QB can sling it well enough to justify Bob. One thing is for sure, things will be smoking at MSU this next season!

go96griz said:
Catsrgrood said:
signedbewildered said:

#littlebro

I see you posted the same incorrect information about Bob Cole that is listed on bobcat nation. I think that came from a reporter. Bob Cole was only on Montana's staff for one season in 1999. He then left with Mick Dennehy for Utah State. He applied for the Grizzly head coaching gig at least once and possibly twice after his departure.

As far as coaching, I loved the Griz's passing game during Bob's one season as OC. I think this is a great hire for MSU, but not sure the current QB can sling it well enough to justify Bob. One thing is for sure, things will be smoking at MSU this next season!

Yes I did get that info from Skyline’s article. One small detail that doesn’t change my argument at all, actually makes it stronger. The guy spent a year in Missoula.

But looks like we agree on the hire. It’s a good hire that will hopefully help get something going in the passing game. Yes Murray has a ways to go, but between him, Jonsen, Rovig and Bauman, I like where they could be going in the next couple of years, especially with this coach to help it along.

Back