• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Central Washington to move to FCS?

Man they have a good football team no doubt. Not sure if their other programs' success. Will be interesting for sure and will be interesting to see if Big Sky would grab them.

Just what we need, another fcs school between us and Seattle. Wont hit us as hard as i think it will at Ewu tho. They already have that ewu drop down Hennesey.

HookedonGriz said:
Man they have a good football team no doubt. Not sure if their other programs' success. Will be interesting for sure and will be interesting to see if Big Sky would grab them.
Where else would they go though? We’re the only west coast conference in the FCS. This is the problem with the Big Sky is that we have too many teams and we can’t get rid of any of them cause we’re the only conference out west.

Paytonlives said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NW_Spotlight/status/953756990056022016[/tweet]

This is going to be interesting to watch. The midwest has the Horizon, Missouri Valley, Summit and to a certain extent the American Athletic Conference. It appears to me that the West Coast Conference is forcing regional mid major football programs to make a decision, any decision lieutenant...the proverbial shit or get off the pot moment is going to arrive for all these schools who are geographical misfits in their mission, scope and vision as far as academic and athletic aspirations as institutions. The Big Sky just lost a superior academic institution and more will follow.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
This is going to be interesting to watch. The midwest has the Horizon, Missouri Valley, Summit and to a certain extent the American Athletic Conference. It appears to me that the West Coast Conference is forcing regional mid major football programs to make a decision, any decision lieutenant...the proverbial shit or get off the pot moment is going to arrive for all these schools who are geographical misfits in their mission, scope and vision as far as academic and athletic aspirations as institutions. The Big Sky just lost a superior academic institution and more will follow.
So far as I recall, out of the WCC schools, only BYU and San Diego have football as well as basketball. And BYU competes at the FBS level in football, while San Diego is non-scholarship for the sport. Gonzaga dropped FB a half-century ago. I think UOP (Pacific, in Stockton, CA) once had football but they don't now. Did schools like Pepperdine, USF, Loyola-Marymount, etc. ever have football? Point is, we need four more FCS football schools out here so there could be two separate conferences. I don't see any way that happens.

IdaGriz01 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
So far as I recall, out of the WCC schools, only BYU and San Diego have football as well as basketball. And BYU competes at the FBS level in football, while San Diego is non-scholarship for the sport. Gonzaga dropped FB a half-century ago. I think UOP (Pacific, in Stockton, CA) once had football but they don't now. Did schools like Pepperdine, USF, Loyola-Marymount, etc. ever have football? Point is, we need four more FCS football schools out here so there could be two separate conferences. I don't see any way that happens.

Look at the conference members, both football and basketball, of those four midwest conferences. Then look at the flagship institutions in the Big Sky, the independents in the west and ask yourself if this could be a viable mid major football and basketball conference with all the other nonrevenue sports the kids could and should be afforded the oplortunity to participate in. Think about this years Griz basketball team in isolation. They are in all probability going to run away with the Big Sky regular season championship. If they lose in the farce of a tournament we have, do they get an at large bid? Hell no! In the WCC, they get a 12 or 13 at large bid. Period. End of discussion. Align them where they have a reasonable chance to succeed and it's not in this conference. Instead of a Group of 5, it could and should be a Group of 6. The directional schools, the commuter schools of the conference can play FCS. You know the ones that get 600 too 800 people in the stands for a basketball game and most of them are Montana graduates. The LDS Church would help Weber with the move up. Anyway...Central Washington is movin on up...

IdaGriz01 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Cal St. Northridge used to be in the BSC.

Pacific last played football in 1995. Saint Mary’s in 2003. The Gaels played the Griz at least once in the 90s as I recall.

Looks like two 7 team football conferences to me...

FCS Teams in the West
Eastern Washington University
University of Idaho
Idaho State University
University of Montana
Montana State University
Northern Arizona University
University of Northern Colorado
Portland State University
Sacramento State University
Southern Utah University
Weber State University

Cal Davis
San Diego
Central Washington

Paytonlives said:

FCS Teams in the West
University of Idaho
Idaho State University
University of Montana
Montana State University
Southern Utah University
Weber State University

Cal Davis
San Diego
Central Washington
You forgot Cal Poly.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Paytonlives said:

FCS Teams in the West
University of Idaho
Idaho State University
University of Montana
Montana State University
Southern Utah University
Weber State University

Cal Davis
San Diego
Central Washington

I would just hope these 5 stay together...
University of Idaho
University of Montana
Montana State University
Weber State University

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Paytonlives said:

FCS Teams in the West
University of Idaho
Idaho State University
University of Montana
Montana State University
Southern Utah University
Weber State University

Cal Davis
San Diego
Central Washington
You forgot Cal Poly.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
true..
Even better a 8 and a 7 team conference

IdaGriz01 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Woodstock was about a half-century ago.
GU is undefeated since 1942.
Pepp last had FB in 1961.
SMC had FB from 1892 until 2003.
SCU had football from 1896 until 1992.
USF played off and on during the 20th century, and finished 14 in the 1951 AP poll.
Portland played until 1950.

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
... So far as I recall, out of the WCC schools, only BYU and San Diego have football as well as basketball. And BYU competes at the FBS level in football, while San Diego is non-scholarship for the sport. Gonzaga dropped FB a half-century ago. I think UOP (Pacific, in Stockton, CA) once had football but they don't now. Did schools like Pepperdine, USF, Loyola-Marymount, etc. ever have football? Point is, we need four more FCS football schools out here so there could be two separate conferences. I don't see any way that happens.
maroon said:
Pacific last played football in 1995. Saint Mary’s in 2003. The Gaels played the Griz at least once in the 90s as I recall.
I should have remembered about Northridge. Hadn't realized Saint Mary's had football after 2000.

Point is, I don't see any of those schools -- with the possible exception of UOP -- getting back into football. Which makes it difficult to envision enough western FCS teams to beef up a new conference.

Well I guess the BSC will want someone to take UND place. Once CWU Jon’s the BSC it will be back to 14 members!

I for one would like to see the BSC split in half.

IdaGriz01 said:
kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
... So far as I recall, out of the WCC schools, only BYU and San Diego have football as well as basketball. And BYU competes at the FBS level in football, while San Diego is non-scholarship for the sport. Gonzaga dropped FB a half-century ago. I think UOP (Pacific, in Stockton, CA) once had football but they don't now. Did schools like Pepperdine, USF, Loyola-Marymount, etc. ever have football? Point is, we need four more FCS football schools out here so there could be two separate conferences. I don't see any way that happens.
maroon said:
I should have remembered about Northridge. Hadn't realized Saint Mary's had football after 2000.

Point is, I don't see any of those schools -- with the possible exception of UOP -- getting back into football. Which makes it difficult to envision enough western FCS teams to beef up a new conference.

I agree with that, for sure.

Back