• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winning fairly?

41GrizFan

With the success Alabama and NDSU is having, doesn’t something seem wrong? Especially NDSU. How in the hell is it possible to do what they are doing unless they cheat? Doesn’t make sense....

Not following either closely enough to have an opinion, but what specific cheating methods do you speculate they are using? Deflating balls? Spraying unis with Pam? Seriously....very curious about your thoughts, 41.

With the Bizon it’s a formula. Play great defense and have an offense that can grind out long time consuming drives.

I honestly think to beat them you need to play at a high level on O and get a lead early.

Paytonlives said:
With the Bizon it’s a formula. Play great defense and have an offense that can grind out long time consuming drives.

I honestly think to beat them you need to play at a high level on O and get a lead early.

Same goes for Bama.

I am pretty sure, NDSU is doing it fairly and the right way. God knows, the NCAA makes an example of the non Power 5 schools/programs, for any indiscretions. As of yet, they have not even found their recruits accepting hot dogs at tailgates. :)

As for Alabama, even if they were cheating, not really sure how much the NCAA would do to them? If anything, it would be very minor, being they are a "Big Dog". It is fun rooting against them though,

It is time for the GRIZ to dethrone NDSU in the FCS, the run with them every year. Realistically, that might take another year. I certainly would love it, if that happens in 2018 though.

Not certain what the NCAA did to Mississippi this year but not too long ago USC lost their national championship. I believe the NCAA is going to come down hard on phil knight college in Eugene. I can't recall the last time Bama got nailed but it set them back several years. Stallings? Or Curry?

North Dakota State? I don't think they need to cheat. Recall right after Boise State went up all the crap they were doing? The NCAA basically just slapped them on the fingers. So even if NDSU is doing something wrong, they'll only get two or three scholarships taken away for a couple of years and then be right back on or near the top again...like nothing happened.

alabamagrizzly said:
Paytonlives said:

Same goes for Bama.
Georgia had a decent lead on Bama and lost.

41GrizFan said:
With the success Alabama and NDSU is having, doesn’t something seem wrong? Especially NDSU. How in the hell is it possible to do what they are doing unless they cheat? Doesn’t make sense....

Key to bison is they are MN state, WI state, NE state (and get best out of ND and SD)...gets their speed from FL and key pickups from Mizz, IA, IL... What hurts them to get in conference for FBS move up, helps them in recruiting.

You realize the money they have? They are paying their players with the “cost of attendance” subsidy they legally can do. How many other FCS programs do that? Not many...just a few. They will hardly ever lose a recruit to FCS school and rarely to lower FBS schools as well because of this. Look what they pay their coaches - 2-3 times what Griz do..they rarely lose coaches as there is more money there than at lower FBS schools.

They aren’t cheating, they are just an FBS program playing at FCS level. Varsity team playing JV schedule. They have the perfect formula for FCS powerhouse with location, money, facilities, and tradition. They are next Boise if they wanted to be, but are too conservative to take leap without getting in bigger conference.

It is my feeling that NDSU for sure and probably Alabama are pretty much doing it "fairly" Great programs, great coaches, great facilities. and most of all GREAT players, make great teams. I would ask, would you or did you, ask the same question of Montana for the many years that nobody in the Big Sky could touch us?

It is my feeling that NDSU for sure and probably Alabama are pretty much doing it "fairly" Great programs, great coaches, great facilities. and most of all GREAT players, make great teams. I would ask, would you or did you, ask the same question of Montana for the many years that nobody in the Big Sky could touch us?

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
41GrizFan said:

Key to bison is they are MN state, WI state, NE state (and get best out of ND and SD)...gets their speed from FL and key pickups from Mizz, IA, IL... What hurts them to get in conference for FBS move up, helps them in recruiting.

You realize the money they have? They are paying their players with the “cost of attendance” subsidy they legally can do. How many other FCS programs do that? Not many...just a few. They will hardly ever lose a recruit to FCS school and rarely to lower FBS schools as well because of this. Look what they pay their coaches - 2-3 times what Griz do..they rarely lose coaches as there is more money there than at lower FBS schools.

They aren’t cheating, they are just an FBS program playing at FCS level. Varsity team playing JV schedule. They have the perfect formula for FCS powerhouse with location, money, facilities, and tradition. They are next Boise if they wanted to be, but are too conservative to take leap without getting in bigger conference.

Full Cost of Attendance is available to every school. The University of Montana could easily be the next South Florida, Cental Florida, etc. if the foundation were to have more access and influence with the athletic department of the school. It begins with loyalty to the institution. Alabama and NDSU is full of Alabama and NDSU graduates as coaches, staff and faculty. The University of Montana understands this; now all it has to do is let the Griz Foundation(s) provide a reasonable salary to those coaches and faculty who love and respect this school to keep them here. Just the good ones though. For what it is worth, a foundation is allowed to fund full cost of attendance.

My view is that NDSU is doing it fairly, or damn close, and hat's off to them. Truly amazing. Bigger than what the Griz did in the 2000 years. Don't know how they have done it, but I'm a believer. I have never said anything negative abut the Bison and probably never will.

mtgrizrule said:
I am pretty sure, NDSU is doing it fairly and the right way. God knows, the NCAA makes an example of the non Power 5 schools/programs, for any indiscretions. As of yet, they have not even found their recruits accepting hot dogs at tailgates. :)

Hot dogs won't do it - they're looking at the wrong bait. They have to set up surveillance on tailgates serving gravy smothered beezon burgers and they would likely nail them! :cool:

I have wondered the same in recent years. What sort of academic standards does NDSU have? I don’t know so I was asking. I have heard people indicate Bama has lower academic standards which might allow talent without the book smarts.

I would think that oil money out of North Dakota aids all schools in the Dakotas. Maybe booster help offset coaching salaries etc???

I think NDSU is keeping it above board. I believe they have the money to pay for what they need and do so making sure they don’t get in hot water with the NCAA.

Don’t get me wrong I am not bagging on NDSU and commend them for all they have accomplished.

I am one that believes having a college football program doing well is beneficial for the community and to some extent the state that it’s in. I for one hope Bobby can turn things around nd at UM to get back to those prosperous day. Not only for UM, but for Missoula, Montana, Griz fans and for the BSC and FCS.

ORGUNGRIZ said:
I have wondered the same in recent years. What sort of academic standards does NDSU have? I don’t know so I was asking. I have heard people indicate Bama has lower academic standards which might allow talent without the book smarts.

I would think that oil money out of North Dakota aids all schools in the Dakotas. Maybe booster help offset coaching salaries etc???

I think NDSU is keeping it above board. I believe they have the money to pay for what they need and do so making sure they don’t get in hot water with the NCAA.

Don’t get me wrong I am not bagging on NDSU and commend them for all they have accomplished.

I am one that believes having a college football program doing well is beneficial for the community and to some extent the state that it’s in. I for one hope Bobby can turn things around nd at UM to get back to those prosperous day. Not only for UM, but for Missoula, Montana, Griz fans and for the BSC and FCS.

Just did a quick search and I see UM has a 92.7% acceptance rate, Bozeman 83.83%, UND 86%, SDSU 92%, USD 88.8%.

In comparison NDSU is 82.7%.

NDSU requires a 22 on the ACT to get in. Montana a 22 ACT or 2.50 high school GPA.

For the hell of it I looked at Bama. They require a 21 ACT score to get in and a 3.0 high school GPA.

Certainly doesn’t seem much different than any of the similar institutions around it.

Haven’t looked lately but I know when Wentz was a senior, 65 guys on the football team were on the honor roll that spring, so they had at least a 3.0 GPA. Would say absolutely they are doing it the right way and certainly when it comes to academics.

2011BisonAlumni said:
ORGUNGRIZ said:

Just did a quick search and I see UM has a 92.7% acceptance rate, Bozeman 83.83%, UND 86%, SDSU 92%, USD 88.8%.

NDSU requires a 22 on the ACT to get in. Montana a 22 ACT or 2.50 high school GPA.

For the hell of it I looked at Bama. They require a 21 ACT score to get in and a 3.0 high school GPA.

Certainly doesn’t seem much different than any of the similar institutions around it.

Haven’t looked lately but I know when Wentz was a senior, 65 guys on the football team were on the honor roll that spring, so they had at least a 3.0 GPA. Would say absolutely they are doing it the right way and certainly when it comes to academics.

Who is your strength and conditioning coach? I've read quite a bit about Wentz and the amount of time he dedicates to working out and studying in the film room. That comes from a winning environment and stability. Senior leadership separates the championship programs from internal squabbling that will fracture and destroy a team, especially if the coaches play kids their teammates know don't belong on the field ahead of better athletes. Your kids, by and large, are earning their way onto the field next fall in your weight rooms at 4:30 to 5:00 in the morning while the "other" programs kids are still out raising hell showing up on police blotters. That eastern Montana, North Dakota mindset of "Nothing good happens after midnight unless you're getting up to go to work" still rings true.

Look at the team GPA. Those grades didn't just magically appear. This coaching staff being assembled understands how hard it is to get to the top and remain there. Change is inevitable and I believe the new university president here will serve as a good role model as to what it takes to get to the top. A hell of a lot of work and sleepless nights working on preparation instead of acting like regular college students.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
ORGUNGRIZ said:

Who is your strength and conditioning coach? I've read quite a bit about Wentz and the amount of time he dedicates to working out and studying in the film room. That comes from a winning environment and stability. Senior leadership separates the championship programs from internal squabbling that will fracture and destroy a team, especially if the coaches play kids their teammates know don't belong on the field ahead of better athletes. Your kids, by and large, are earning their way onto the field next fall in your weight rooms at 4:30 to 5:00 in the morning while the "other" programs kids are still out raising hell showing up on police blotters. That eastern Montana, North Dakota mindset of "Nothing good happens after midnight unless you're getting up to go to work" still rings true.

Look at the team GPA. Those grades didn't just magically appear. This coaching staff being assembled understands how hard it is to get to the top and remain there. Change is inevitable and I believe the new university president here will serve as a good role model as to what it takes to get to the top. A hell of a lot of work and sleepless nights working on preparation instead of acting like regular college students.

They call him the Bulldog. All I’ve heard about him is he is the most intense guy you could meet and psychologically is a genius. Doesn’t allow players to wear championship gear or anything that has their name on the back. Every year you go in like a team that hasn’t won a game and every player is a redshirt freshmen in his eyes.

Back